Emergency Preparedness/Survival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Preparedness/Survival

For some reason, I have become fascinated by the topic of emergency preparedness and survival. An internet search makes for some very interesting reading. It runs the gamut from common sense and an ounce of prevention to the hardcore survivalists staching away food, guns and ammo.
    As for myself, I like to hike and be outdoors. I have always carried essential survival gear in my backpack but I now see the wisdom of always having certain items with you even on just a casual hike and and so have added a few things that I now always carry with me in the outdoors -- knife, fire starter, duct tape, compass, flashlight etc. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has taken the time to prepare themselves if the **** hits the fan. A common term on the internet is a bug out bag. Meaning a small pack that you can grab that contains survival essentials. You can have it in your house or car. It is also wise to have items for urban survival such as extra money, cell phone, flashlight etc.

So is anybody else starting to go down this road as well?

c.d.

not really...although I always have a safety stach and safety rolling papers...i try not to live in too much paranoia, it tends to be contagious.

Comment

My friends and I have been in the zombie survival game for years now. I never really considered being prepared for something that actually might happen.
      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

There was an eccentric don at one of the Oxbridge colleges, who used to put pieces of toast in his cupboard, so that he'd have something to eat in the event of Apocalypse. Of course, if it was nuclear war that he was thinking of then ordinary bread would have done as well, for the nuclear catastrophe would have made sure that the bread was toasted.

Comment

I don't think it is necessary to start building a bomb shelter and stocking up on AK47s but having access to a few basic survival items like a few energy bars, some bottled water, a flashlight, lighter, fleece jacket etc. makes a lot of sense. An ounce of prevention etc. etc.

c.d.

Comment

Hi CD

Well, the items you mention are probably held at the ready by anyone likely to be snowed in or have their power cut off. I wonder whether the Japanese are now taking precautions in case of a repeat of the earthquake disaster. Trouble is, there's not much anyone can do in the face of something like that.

Comment

Survival

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Hi CD

Well, the items you mention are probably held at the ready by anyone likely to be snowed in or have their power cut off. I wonder whether the Japanese are now taking precautions in case of a repeat of the earthquake disaster. Trouble is, there's not much anyone can do in the face of something like that.
              Without getting into the whole survialist schtick, it isn't a bad idea to keep some stuff handy. As a Civil War re-enactor I "indulge" in what is called primitive camping. Certainly a knife and or axe is essential along with a shovel fire making equipage etc I also carry a first aid kit Hiking some of that goes by the wayside obviously but a folding shovel might not ne out of line along with stuff to keep yourself warm. Just a week ago a 44 year old lady went hiking in the Adirondack Mountains for a day hike. The police are still investigating what went wrong but obviously, as there was no foul play, she was woefully unprepared. A good idea to plan for the worst.
              Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Hi Yank,

I always thought the Civil War reenactment stuff was pretty cool. I live in D.C. and they have a lot of it in Virginia and Maryland. How hardcore do you get with it as to the authenticity of your uniform and gear?

I just recently added a Swedish Fire Steel to my survival gear. Cheap and fool proof and a great way to start a fire. Also coated some cotton balls with vaseline and keep them in an old plastic prescription medicine vial. A good combination to have handy.

c.d.

Comment

I wish that this thread had received more responses but so be it.

Anyway, here are a couple of handy things to have with you:

A survival bracelet (you can do a google search) - These are bracelets woven out of parachute or para cord as it is usually called. They look really cool and the theory behind them is that in a survival situation, they can be unwound giving you about ten feet of para cord which could be extremely useful depending on your situation and need. Cost about $15.

A Kubotan - Kubotans are highly accessible, extremely durable, and very effective self defense weapons. A kubotan is made of aluminum and comes in various colors. They measure about 5 1/2" long, about 1/2" in diameter, and weight about 4 ounces. Kubotans can have either pointed or flat tips. The Kuboton is designed to be used against bony surfaces, soft tissue and nerve points. It is effective because of the temporary paralysis or extreme pain it causes. Even for those without experience in a martial art, the Kubotan provides an inexpensive and easily learned method of self defense.

I carry one of these with me. They are about the size of a pen and only cost about $5. You can get these off of the Internet and as far as I Know they are completely legal to carry in the U.S. Should someone attempt to grab you and you hit them in the hand, face or arm, it is going to hurt like hell. You could even break a bone with it. A handy little gadget to have with you.

c.d.

Comment

What's more, CD, if a man attacks you with a banana - eat the banana.

I remember seeing in an old Superman comic an advert for a Japanese martial art. The art consisted in disabling opponents with the sole aid of one's little finger, into which one's whole physical strength was concentrated. I think it was probably written along the lines of "Be the first kid on your block to use this ancient martial art."

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      What's more, CD, if a man attacks you with a banana - eat the banana.

I remember seeing in an old Superman comic an advert for a Japanese martial art. The art consisted in disabling opponents with the sole aid of one's little finger, into which one's whole physical strength was concentrated. I think it was probably written along the lines of "Be the first kid on your block to use this ancient martial art."
                      Yeah, but how is it going to help me after the zombie apocalypse is what I want to know.
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

We have an emergency pantry set aside with some canned food, dried beans and legumes, a first aid kit, some glowsticks and batteries and suchlike.

I'd like to get some dehydrated food to bulk it up, but it's both hard to find and pretty expensive in Canada. Whenever a relative from the UK comes over to visit, we get them to bring us a couple of cans of food to add to the larder--the Brits are number one when it comes to canned food
                        “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                          My friends and I have been in the zombie survival game for years now.
                          Hey, no kidding! I LOVE playing “zombie apocalypse“ survival games. In fact, I usually ace all "Would you survive a zombie apocalypse?“ tests. (Which comes as a very handy skill in real life.)

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                          I wish that this thread had received more responses but so be it.
                          A Kubotan. Should someone attempt to grab you and you hit them in the hand, face or arm, it is going to hurt like hell. You could even break a bone with it. A handy little gadget to have with you.
                          You can do that with your house keys, C.D..

I always have my (snow- or surf)boardbag packed and ready to go, in case an occasion to ride to the hills or to the beach occurs. Does that count? And I can go from being asleep (in bed or in a moving vehicle) to spotting my gear and ready to ride in 5'min. tops.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

All these years of studying Jack the Ripper has prepared me for the end times. I will simply prey on those who are weak and have what I want. We all know, in every movie about this, there are such people and they seem to be in the majority. That will be my path as well. Saving things for the end...Bah! You all just go on preparing. I doubt you'll be prepared for me...wahaha.

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

BOO.
                              Best regards,
                              Maria

Comment

Working...
                              X