No announcement yet.

Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jordan, maybe if you checked the Red Cross' homepage? They are definitely involved in helping.
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

Thanks Sister and Maria ,
      Yes agreed.Where I may differ is that the people I have seen in Japan had no more say about what their government decided to do than most people everywhere.Ordinary people earning a living in a port would not have much say about whether or not nuclear power stations were built . Haiti was shocking in that many lost their lives simply because they were too poor to build strong enough homes to withstand the elements; New Orleans was shocking because lives were lost because money was never found to protect the people through adequate defences.Its all beyond sad.
      Kind Regards
      Norma

Comment

Hello Norma/Natalie,
        the Japanese are not accustomed to criticizing their government. Neither are they a third world country, unable to deal with what happened. It was a tragic occurrence, especially concerning all the loss of life, but rest assured that infrastructure will be reinstated in Northeast Japan “before you know it“, much quicker than in New Orleans (not to mention Guatemala or Haiti). It's really bad that the warning for an earthquake of such force was not issued but 30`min. before it started.
        I was relieved that at least Indonesia, Hawaii, and the American West Coast were spared, because there was a point where the media were predicting catastrophies there as well, before the tsunami reached the other side of the Pacific.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

First off Maria, my name is Norma.
          I am not sure you can generalise about the Japanese people----some have certainly criticised their government and have done so quite violently in recent times too with police in riot gear attempting to suppress their revolts.
          Regarding the people of North Japan where the earthquake was they certainly come across as having great dignity and appear calm and accepting at the moment but the news programmes suggest that they are getting upset and think the government isnt telling them everything .
          What exactly are you saying about New Orleans and Haiti?

Comment

Hello Norma (I included “Natalie“ so that eventual newbies figure out I'm referring to you),
            Yes, the Japanese most certainly impressed the entire world with their great calm and dignity under the tragic circumstances. This is most typical, and it is exactly as they behaved after Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
            Riots and demonstrations in Japan? I'm a bit surprised, but I might have missed something.
            About New Orleans I was referring to the disastrous approach the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina was dealt with, and that such would never happen in Japan, still, both catastrophies are so recent that it's truly inappropriate to comment upon this.
            Let's just hope that the fires in the 3 nuclear power plants cool off by next week.
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Originally posted by ChainzCooper View Post
              Does anybody know any agency where I can send a check to help?
              Jordan
              I don't know, Jordan, but that's a nice question.

Just remember you're already poorer than last week : needless to say, the Japanese tragedy will worsen the slump.

Only Louis Armstrong thinks it's a wonderful world.

Comment

To me ,Maria,New Orleans has always been the most enticing city in America ever since I heard about its old French quarter with its beautiful unusual architecture and its reputation as the birthplace of authentic soul and Jazz.I would love to go there.Japan has never excited my imagination in quite the same way but I would love to see Japan all the same.It is distressing to see those poor people trying to cope and survive in the face of such a brutal onslaught and suddenly in the middle of it you see their children being carried to safety and their faces are so beautiful they bring a kind of peace to our screens.
                Best,
                Norma

Comment

Hello Norma,
                  both Japan and New Orleans are fascinating places. During Hurricane Katrina the New Orleans archives, containing hundreds of precious musical scores from the 19th century, were entirely destroyed, and I was impressed with my boss (who was very familiar with these archives) when he said that this was less tragic than the loss of human life.
                  When I was still in college I had this phase of Japanophilia, when I was learning Japanese and very much wanted to go there. It has receded by now (though I still understand a bit of Japanese). Regardless of personal interest, what happened there is devastating.
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

My japonophilia found its second wind when I learnt Japanese made the finest whiskies on Earth.
                    Last edited by DVV; 03-16-2011, 03:08 AM.

Comment

David, you remind me of Bill Murray's whiskey commerial in Lost in translation. ;-)
                      I'm still nuts about Japanese food, not just sushi, but everything, including all their soups and desserts (daifuku, yumm). Still, it's expensive. Only time I had about as much sushi as I could manage was on an “all you can eat“ deal at a place in Portland, Oregon.
                      Best regards,
                      Maria

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                        My japonophilia found its second wind when I learnt Japanese made the finest whiskies on Earth.
                        The good folks in Tennessee and I would disagree. But seriously, does anyone know any websites I could go to help and send a check?
                        Jordan

Comment

I really enjoyed Bill Murray in that film-and Scarlett and Japan![But I have never tasted their whisky but I have had their saki or rice wine and it was delicious too!
                          Night Folks!

Comment

Originally posted by ChainzCooper View Post
                            But seriously, does anyone know any websites I could go to help and send a check?
                            I'd suggest the American Red Cross, Chainz: http://www.redcross.org/
                            I sent my cheque to the Canadian branch.

I, too, didn't realize that the Japanese made a decent whisky; but, given how well they make everything else, I'm not surprised.

Comment

Maria, what about homemade sushis ? I believe it's easy....

'Night, Norma !

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                                I, too, didn't realize that the Japanese made a decent whisky; but, given how well they make everything else, I'm not surprised.
                                They're renowned and have been awarded several times, Maurice.

There was (sadly, I can't say "is") a famous distillery ("Miyagikyo") near Sendai, btw.

Welcome to the Nikka Whisky distillery. Explore our rich history and unique distilleries. Stay updated with the latest news. Embark on a journey of taste and tradition.
                                Last edited by DVV; 03-16-2011, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X