No announcement yet.

Gordon Brown resigning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ummmm, your musical knowledge is a bit.....uhhmmm.... well...

You are not clear about you musical genres if you classify Sister Rosetta's music as "country"; it surely is not...

Her music is clearly gospel (with Spritual and Rock and Roll and some Blues influences)....country...nope....

Maybe you need a bit of a "lie down" to clear your head...
    Cheers,
    cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

• Originally posted by cappuccina View Post
      Her music is clearly gospel (with Spritual and Rock and Roll and some Blues influences)....country...nope....
      That's not quite what Neal said if you check back.

Sister Rosetta was gospel plus blues.

(Little Richard cites her as a major influence)

Sam Cooke was gospel plus rock n' roll.

Ray Charles was the first black person to fuse gospel with country music.

Country Music has been ripping off black music since the 1920s.
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• ....so apparently you received the "Neal Shelden decoder ring"....my cereal box didn't have one in it....

I agree with your statement about country music in general.

Ray Charles was not the first person to fuse gospel with country.

Technically, the first "established"/"known" person to do this was probably this gentleman:

T.A. Dorsey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_A._Dorsey
        Cheers,
        cappuccina

Comment

• Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by caz

......... I was shocked because it seemed so unlike you to smirk about someone's looks because of their spouse's politics.

X

What on earth makes you think you know me?
          God knows, Nats. I thought you were better than this but I was wrong. Good of you to admit that it's just like you. I'll remember that.

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
            That's not quite what Neal said if you check back.

Sister Rosetta was gospel plus blues.

(Little Richard cites her as a major influence)

Sam Cooke was gospel plus rock n' roll.

Ray Charles was the first black person to fuse gospel with country music.

Country Music has been ripping off black music since the 1920s.
            Yeah she didn't quite understand did she????

Comment

• Originally posted by Neal Shelden View Post
              Yeah she didn't quite understand did she????
              Hi Neal

No, she missed the word 'either'.

Hi caps

Dorsey went straight from rather dirty blues to gospel and some of his better gospel songs were picked up by country singers, but he never had anything to do with country music as such.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                I did notice that Graham. I think, if I may say so, that you are of a generation (early 60s?), like my sister, who was able to enjoy the tastiest fruits of the Welfare State. This enabled you to reach where you are now with reasonable comfort (I'm trying to be general, not specific, so forgive me if I'm wide of the mark by a hundred miles or so) and some of you think you got there all on your own. It stands to reason you would not want to lose the comforts that hard work, and a lot of help from the state, allowed you to accumulate.

Nowadays, all that has changed. Many people work very hard and get no where. Others have no work. More still have a poverty of aspiration because they don't believe there is a role for them beyond reaching the next level in their PS3 game.

IOt sounds naff but it is so true. The class struggle is still there, still worth fighting for, else we are all done for.

Have a good weekend and enjoy some of that good music you love so much!

Julie
                Hi Julie

HERE HERE! Couldn't agree more.

The great carve up continues unabated. Not many so called aristocratic families can trace their forebears peerages back before the Industrial Revolution.
                As Lennon said:
                There's room at the top they are telling you still,
                But first you must learn how to smile as you kill,
                If you want to be like the folks on the hill,
                A working class hero is something to be.
                If you are a great exploiter or just a general selfish twat then there is a welcome to the club, like Mandleson and Ashcroft. Useless tossers the pair of them.
                To name but 2 of many.

I feel a new thread coming on....Be-knighted and Lorded parasites of this great country.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                  God knows, Nats. I thought you were better than this but I was wrong. Good of you to admit that it's just like you. I'll remember that.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  No Caz, I didnt say "Its just like me"-----I said you dont know me.....and I meant just that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                    Hi Neal

No, she missed the word 'either'.
                    OMG ------well I Never!

I"m batting for Caps.She posted that link to a brilliant woman singer and guitar player------whats the problem with you guys....?

Comment

• It's OK Natalie; they probably think they are musicians, too!

They're not quite right about what they are saying, but I do not have the time right now to argue with two high school boys.
                      Cheers,
                      cappuccina

Comment

• So, Steve, you agree with Limehouse when she summarises the life of a person she has never met and knows nothing about - i.e., me - with a 'hear, hear, couldn't agree more?'

I wasn't going to respond to her post, to be honest, but now that you've put your usual clumsy oar into the muddied waters of this silly thread, I will say that Ms Limehouse doesn't know what she's talking about apropos my good self.

And by the way, it's actually HEAR! HEAR! not HERE HERE!

Graham
                        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

It's OK Natalie; they probably think they are musicians, too!

They're not quite right about what they are saying, but I do not have the time right now to argue with two high school boys.
                          Well I am a musician and you can take it from me that Sister Rosetta Tharpe was superb. Whether or not people like her stuff is a matter of taste but it can't be denied that she was bloody good.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

I"m batting for Caps.She posted that link to a brilliant woman singer and guitar player------whats the problem with you guys....?
                            And she also misunderstood what Neal actually said about Folk and Country music.

(storm in a teacup time)

Comment

It's OK Natalie; they probably think they are musicians, too!

I never made it past low school

Comment

No Caz, I didnt say "Its just like me"-----I said you dont know me.....and I meant just that.
                                To be fair, Nats, I can only go by what you write. Assuming that's a matter of personal choice, it's a part of who you are, just like one's upbringing or looks - the difference being that some things we have no control over. The price for having control over what we write is being judged on it.

As I believe you have judged others, like Anderson. Maybe he would say the same about you - "You don't know me". But you still feel entitled to judge the man, and that's fair enough, isn't it?

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                                X