Gordon Brown resigning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neal Shelden View Post
    The only thing I'm going to remember the Labour government for is the way they tried to change my country of England into a country of God knows what from God knows where. I didn't vote Labour in 1997 so that their priority would be offering jobs and housing to people that didn't have a right to be here.
    Thank God Labour have gone and never let them back, especially the weird Milliband.
    I have to say that only a woman would suggest that an old frump like poor Sarah Brown was lovely, and good looking Sam Cameron was plain.

Neil,
    You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
    On the matter of politics we clearly disagree.
    With regards to Mrs Cameron,I was talking about how she looks in her photos with how she looks out and about around here.I agree that in the photos she looks very nice.However, although she is instantly recognisable , she doesnt look so good in conventional terms , when you see her in real life.I was also talking about the vicious propaganda campaign throughout the Tory press against Brown and the way people are presented to us as as being "celebrity glamourous" when they are in reality not at all.
    My husband is about to join in here-----but about the politics not the nonsense as he terms it!

As for Mrs Brown,well as Coral said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Last edited by Natalie Severn; 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      The concessions include a move in the direction of fixed-term parliaments, which I assume will be enacted fairly quickly, and which would make it impossible for Cameron to call an election unilaterally (and also impossible for the Lib Dems and Labour together to force an election, if the coalition broke down).
      That's interesting. I hadn't heard about that bit. The Canadian Parliament and some of the provincial legislatures have also introduced, or are considering, fixed terms but, of course, that only works if the government has a majority. If the coalition breaks down, how could the Conservatives continue to govern if they lost the confidence of the House, with or without fixed-term legislation?

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
        If the coalition breaks down, how could the Conservatives continue to govern if they lost the confidence of the House, with or without fixed-term legislation?
        They couldn't.

Comment

That's interesting. I hadn't heard about that bit. The Canadian Parliament and some of the provincial legislatures have also introduced, or are considering, fixed terms but, of course, that only works if the government has a majority. If the coalition breaks down, how could the Conservatives continue to govern if they lost the confidence of the House, with or without fixed-term legislation?
          As I understand it, a fixed term means - say - 5 years and the government cannot call an early election... However the opposition can still go for a vote of no confidence. It's designed to promote stability and prevent incumbent governments calling elections when it suits them... I think.

Comment

What you say, john, is pretty much what I believed the situation to be. I thought that Chris's comment implied that the imminent introduction of fixed-term legislation would guarantee that the life of the current coalition government could somehow be extended beyond its normal course---although, I may well have misunderstood him. As far as I know, fixed terms only have relevance to the actions of a governing party with control of the Commons.

Comment

I thought that Chris's comment implied that the imminent introduction of fixed-term legislation would guarantee that the life of the current coalition government could somehow be extended beyond its normal course---although, I may well have misunderstood him.
              Yes, you did. It's the term of the legislature that would be fixed, not that of the government. But don't worry, the BBC completely misunderstood it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                It's the term of the legislature that would be fixed, not that of the government.
                You've lost me again, Chris. I don't have a clue what that sentence means.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                  Really Caz, but wasnt it you that twice called Stewart an "ugly old man" the other week ? Am I to understand you feel free to be unflattering about men?
                  Hi Nats,

I think the expression I used about Stewart was "big and ugly" enough to work things out for himself. Have you seriously never heard it before? It's a joke - which you have nastily chosen to distort into something truly ugly. What is happening to you lately?

What you said about Sam Cam being 'plain' didn't come across remotely like a joke, and I was shocked because it seemed so unlike you to smirk about someone's looks because of their spouse's politics.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Moreover, many who voted Liberal in Constituencies that were usually held by Tories, actually voted Liberal to keep out the Tories! One wonders how betrayed such voters now feel?
                    Really, Nats? What a wasted vote in that case! It could hardly have put the LibDems in power instead of the Tories, could it? So surely a tactical vote for Labour would have been far more effective. I think all those who voted Liberal have an awful lot to be thankful for, considering the outcome, don't you? More power than they could have dreamed of, because neither of the two main parties could scrape together enough votes for a workable majority.

A "hung parliament" was what people voted for,in point of fact...
                    Eh? A people's conspiracy, you mean? How on earth did that work? I thought we were all individuals, voting for the one party we would least have minded getting into power.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    Last edited by caz; 05-14-2010, 01:58 PM.
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

You've lost me again, Chris. I don't have a clue what that sentence means.
                      I mean the government could still be ousted by a no-confidence vote (by a simple majority of MPs), even though a fresh election couldn't be forced.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        Absolutely spot on, Neal. Women? Pshaw!

Blair tried his damndest to bugger up this country, but he was a rank amateur compared with Brown and his coterie of grotesques.

Graham
                        Here, here, that man.
                        In fact it says a lot about Labour that a former leftie who hated Thatcher like me, can end up a Tory.

Women, you've got to love em, bless em

Comment

I am willing to come to terms with the government we now have although I think that Brown was given a terrible press (much like Michael Foot, God rest him).

At least I am grateful that Griffin and his crew got a good pasting.

I have just the song for him:

A short song from one of Woody's radio broadcasts. (1940's?)Featured in this performance are:*Woody of course-guitar and voc.*the great SONNY TERRY on harmon...

Have a good weekend all.

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post

......... I was shocked because it seemed so unlike you to smirk about someone's looks because of their spouse's politics.

X

What on earth makes you think you know me?

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                              I am willing to come to terms with the government we now have although I think that Brown was given a terrible press (much like Michael Foot, God rest him).

At least I am grateful that Griffin and his crew got a good pasting.

I have just the song for him:

A short song from one of Woody's radio broadcasts. (1940's?)Featured in this performance are:*Woody of course-guitar and voc.*the great SONNY TERRY on harmon...

Have a good weekend all.

Wasnt that just wonderful though! And you see we English have tons to be proud of getting rid of filth like Griffin and his pals.

BTW Limehouse, regarding barons and baronets and castle owners and the like.......
                              do you know the one about the millionaire Tory toff who charged us tax payers to clean out the moat of his castle in the expenses row?

Here it is---its by none other than our own poet laureate , the great Carol Ann Duffy:

What did we do with the trust of your vote?

Hired a flunky to flush out the moat!

Best
                              Norma

ps loved the Woody Guthrie song! Did you know that Bob Dylan paid a huge tribute to Woody Guthrie
                              in his terrific autobiography,"Chronicles,part one" ?
                              Last edited by Natalie Severn; 05-14-2010, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Love the song too!!

(I also remember something similar - the "Margaret Thatcher the milk snatcher" rhymes when she was in office and cut free school millk for all children over age 7, I believe...How can these people live with themselves???)
                                Cheers,
                                cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Working...
                                X