E.l.o.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just big band Beatles

Footnotes in the history of popular music I'd say.

Led to all that abominable so-called Punk Music I'd also say.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Mr. Blue Sky = one of the best "driving songs" ever.

Love "Can't Get It Out Of My Head".

Comment

I am

I also adore Roy Wood and Wizzard thanks to Youtube

I love Roy Woods hair
        Last edited by belinda; 01-19-2010, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
          Just big band Beatles

Footnotes in the history of popular music I'd say.

Led to all that abominable so-called Punk Music I'd also say.
          Cynic

Comment

1972, just at the changeover.
            A video of The Move with Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne performing "California Man" on TOTP

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              I rate "Mr Blue Sky" as one of the most sophisticated pieces in the history of pop.
              Gareth,
              I really DO agree.

Mr Blue Sky is probably THE quintessential piece of cultured pop music ever.
              The orchestral arrangements are beyond reproach, and the overlaying of the orchestral parts has been done with immaculate care. Listening to the drums on this, a touch louder would have been too heavy, and a touch softer would have given it a fluffy, airy impression.
              The vocoder is a brilliant touch of individualism, (also used by the inspirational Herbie Hancock on "I thought it was you.")

Turn to Stone was made in the same manner as "Blue Sky", using many of the same techniques.

I have a feeling, though without asking Jeff Lynne I wouldn't know for certain, that the orchestral use is indeed an inspiration from the Beatles era, when the Move, with Roy Wood involved, used many Beatles techniques..

Do I rate ELO? Not 'arf!!! The work of musical genius.
              I am inclined to think of classical music with lyrics... especially the "Out of the Blue" album from which "Blue Sky" and "Stone" come from.

best wishes

Phil
              Last edited by Phil Carter; 01-20-2010, 09:32 AM.
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

Some sad news, people.

ELO founding member and cellist Mike Edwards was killed yesterday when a hay bale crashed into his van ane he was killed instantly.

It's so sad to lose a member of one of my favorite rock groups.

R.I.P. Mike,...and thank you for help bringing us this great band to the rest of the world.
                I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

symphonic rock

Hello JTR. Right you are. Their "Tightrope" and "Rockaria" defined the whole genre of symphonic rock.

I wonder if the band members will gather for his funeral? Hope so.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Very sad. I'm more familliar with later ELO but I've read about the early line up.It was a joint venture by Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood to start with wasn't it.

Comment

move

Hello Belinda. That's right. It seems that Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne left "The Move" and their stated purpose was to pick up where the late Beatles had left off with "I am the Walrus."

If I recall properly, one of their big hits was a re-do of their "Move" hit, "Do ya."

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Here they are on the cusp.

A video of The Move with Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne performing "California Man" on TOTP

Comment

Wood

Hello Robert. Thanks!

California man? Was that Roy Wood--or Simon Wood?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

And was that Jeff Lynne or Lynn Cates?

Roy Wood was so talented, I can't understand why he hasn't had more recognition.

Comment

Here are two records. The first has the Roy Wood factor. The second definitely doesn't.

I rest my case.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

shy chap

Hello Robert. Well, I'll claim Jeff Lynne (heh-heh).

He always came across as EXTREMELY talented (keyboard and guitar, as well as lyric writer) but almost painfully shy.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X