Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't leave my house for ten minutes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't leave my house for ten minutes...

...without some calamity or four occurring. I left for Genoa on the 4th, returning on the 15th. In that time there was the Dallas shooting (five deaths), the train crash in Puglia (23 deaths), change of British PM and installation of Boris as Foreign Secretary (no deaths yet, but I'm keeping my eye on you), the Nice terror attack (84 deaths), and now there's chaos and mayhem from a military coup in Turkey (death tolls unclear). The hell?

To think that me and the missus had thought about a day trip to Nice while on holiday... Never got around to it, though. Just as well, on reflection.

Karl, I think we'd all feel a good deal safer if you were placed under house arrest.

Comment

Badum-tisss

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        ...without some calamity or four occurring. I left for Genoa on the 4th, returning on the 15th. In that time there was the Dallas shooting (five deaths), the train crash in Puglia (23 deaths), change of British PM and installation of Boris as Foreign Secretary (no deaths yet, but I'm keeping my eye on you), the Nice terror attack (84 deaths), and now there's chaos and mayhem from a military coup in Turkey (death tolls unclear). The hell?

To think that me and the missus had thought about a day trip to Nice while on holiday... Never got around to it, though. Just as well, on reflection.
        Had the same experience years ago. Twice I was home ill from work. The first time I watched the Challenger explode on the television. The second was the day of the first attack (the bomb attack) on the World Trade Center.

I also had a peculiar feeling about looking at candidates for political office (mostly local ones). Most of them lost. But some won.

Jeff

Comment

We have had similar experience each cruise lately, Martib Place Siege (which I guess many here probably haven't heard of) Paris attack, Bali bombings one and two.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Same thing when I went to Madeira in 2014 - that's when the Malaysian Airlines flight went missing. And for my holiday in Italy last year, there was the Kobani massacre. My holidays clearly have very serious impact on world events.

Comment

Same thing when I went to Madeira in 2014 - that's when the Malaysian Airlines flight went missing. And for my holiday in Italy last year, there was the Kobani massacre. My holidays clearly have very serious impact on world events.
              Forgot about the flight over Russia.

It's also certain to rain, always rains.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Whenever I watch either Phil Mickelson play golf on tv or long ago, Randy Johnson, pitcher for the Diamondbacks (AZ baseball) they invariably began to lose.

Comment

I think I'll build a nuclear bunker. Jeff's already at home owing to retirement, so there's a permanent danger from that quarter. It only needs for Karl and GUT to go on holiday simultaneously, and we're all kaput.

Surely Nostradamus has something to say about this?

Comment

I'm wondering where Karl was on Nov 22,1963...

Comment

Well, in 1962 Karl had a day trip to Southend-On-Sea and a stroll on the pier. All that happened was that Kennedy got a slight case of piles. But in 1963 Karl went on a round-the-world luxury cruise. I ask you, how could anything good come of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        I think I'll build a nuclear bunker. Jeff's already at home owing to retirement, so there's a permanent danger from that quarter. It only needs for Karl and GUT to go on holiday simultaneously, and we're all kaput.

Surely Nostradamus has something to say about this?
                        Yes, but can you read 16th Century French quatrains?

I may be at home in retirement but I'm not studying up on that!

Jeff

Comment

Well, the coup attempt in Turkey is over. But that is probably because it happened at the very end of my holiday. The insurgents would do well to study my itinerary better next time.

Comment

Henrik Stenson becomes the first Swede to win The Open after an enthralling tussle with Phil Mickelson at Royal Troon.

The Curse of Beowulf strikes again.

Comment

On the plus side, you remain immune to agoraphobia.

Every cloud, mate.

As for Boris - what a massive bell end - but then he won't look out of place in the British Government.

This is perhaps why we were never meant to be in a union with the Europeans: in Europe all the serious people who think they're gonna save the world turn up in politics; in England all of our failed comedians turn up in the House of Commons to give it one last go.

Comment

Working...
                              X