Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay so just before i head off to enjoy the gym I will read this bit in Wilkes' book, which is after Radio City aired. It reads:

"In January 1931 I was going out with Gordon Parry, but we were not engaged. I gave a statement to the police investigating the Wallace murder, but it was only partly true. This was because I only saw Gordon later on the night of the crime. I can't remember how much later.

I have made that part of my life a closed book. To reopen it now would cause me terrible distress.

I was very, very much in love with Gordon and he with me. He was a verycharming, handsome and talented young man, and I was terribly upset when the relationship ended.

There were only ever two men in my life, Gordon, my young love, and my husband, with whom love blossomed.

I knew Gordon had died last April, and that his wife had died some years ago.

To remember all this fifty years on causes me great pain. But I will say this: I can't possibly believe that Gordon did this murder, and he certainly never confided in me anything that suggested he might have done.

The episode is closed, and it belongs to me alone."
    There is more but the index sucks, so I can't find it.

Hector Munro says his memory is feeble and he doesn't recall it, but Goodman personally speaks here and gives an account of what he had earlier been told. Again I would have to find this but I'm late for the gym and this index is doing me in.

Lily did tell police 8.30 to 9, her mother 9 to 9.15. Her mother seemed to get the time earlier than probable for the Monday night alibi if that's of any help (she said something like 7.15 when it was 7.35 or something to that effect).

I owned this book for a long time but could never bring myself to read it because I know a lot of it has since been shown wrong (e.g. that he had no alibi) and thus it annoys me to read. Like how Parry is portrayed like a pantomine villain in The Man from the Pru. But like Murphy's also very biased book (which I find equally annoying to read), it has some very important information in it. In both. Wilkes has good info on the police lineups etc.

Comment

• By the way this is a weak point but I think it needs to be said. William is an insurance man, his wife has a life insurance policy. The figure is very meagre.

Undoubtedly her policy is with the Pru.

How trivial would it be for William to put up the price on her head? I mean could he do this by himself?

A lot of criminals get caught out by this which is why it's weak because it's kind of a stupid thing to do. But still, it should be said. Especially when given how ill Julia had become it would not look wholly suspicious to raise the policy a little.

I don't think it's something any SMART killer would do. But maybe that occurs to me so much because I watch too many true crime documentaries where life insurance policies F people up.

It seems obvious to me though, that it would be stupid.
      Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 03-02-2020, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• So I just watched The Staircase about Michael Peterson and his wife who apparently died in an accident by falling down the stairs... Apart from his massive change in story (went outside to turn out the pool lights vs sitting out by the pool for hours or w.e. which is essentially impossible to explain as innocent IMO) it's such a purely forensic case.

But I couldn't help be struck by many of the similarities to this case.

The pseudo-intellectual accused, the "missing iron bar" (blow poke in this case - which was later found), the legitimately corrupt forensic analyst (Duane Deaver) who was later fired for faking forensic evidence etc in various cases, the recent mentions of love for his wife in private writings which in this instance were DEFINITELY not meant to be found/read (emails to a gay man he was going to meet for sex), and also the prejudicing from the prosecution by saying "he's a writer!" as an argument for his guilt much like "he plays chess!".

---

But anyway the main thing I wanted to comment on was the similarity between corrupt analyst Duane Deaver and McFall, and the corruption of the prosecution in general. And also the similarity in how it was said the jury was essentially swung purely by Deaver's testimony whereas in the Wallace case it was McFall's assertions that was said to be very important to the jury.

In the Wallace case and I did not know this until yesterday, the defence was DENIED access to evidence. They were not allowed to see statements made by Gordon Parry, and access to forensic reports from McFall. This is actually illegal, although it might not have been at the time.

And I have to wonder if the defence had access to these reports (which they should have been allowed), whether the outcome would be the same given McFall's randomly changing reports.

Look at what McFall has done... His very first report he puts the time of death as 7.50 PM. He then changes this to 6.00 PM on trial. He hasn't conducted any additional tests since the first report which was after the autopsy etc as far as I know, he has just randomly changed the time of death with no reason given. And I think the defence would have gone wild with this if they had been allowed to know. I also wonder if the defence's forensics were allowed access to these reports to read about the stomach contents etc.

And I wonder if perhaps this case would have been categorically solved if not for this utter disgrace of a man...

Say for example a real forensic expert did the CORRECT tests and gave a time of death as 6.30 PM. Or vice versa 8.00 PM. This would be very different. But this man has failed us completely. And I wonder if he's anything like Duane Deaver it's worth taking ANY of his suggestions seriously.

---

If he is this bad at his job, why are we to be sure the first blow was the one that made the gaping wound? It never made any sense to me anyway, because we can see she's fallen into the fire, her body's been moved etc. If she has a giant gaping brain-exposing hole in her head why isn't there blood leaking out all over the fireplace etc as she's moved? Why is it ALL pooled in just one place? it actually makes it seem more like it was one of the LAST strikes to a layman like me (or at least several hits to the same spot but the first one didn't break open the skull).

McFall himself - again - had written numerous different things about this much like he did about the time of death, first of all it was the strikes to the back of the head, then the one to the front, etc.

Is it insane that we are relying on the testimony of this man at all? Has he just completely misled us? What if for example a real expert was able to say the blood spray in certain areas was probably cast-off from the weapon, yadda yadda.

Comment

• Update: I have got in contact with a forensic expert who is willing to work this case. She has worked for the police force on actual homicide cases. Given the terrible crime scene photos (things were moved from their original place) and McFall's fallibility, I hope she will be able to make some suggestions.

This is an important step to take, since a major part of the case is going to come down to the events that took place in the parlour and this is a matter of forensics. 12 blows or 3? Better time of death estimate? The position of Julia and her attacker? These are things we need answers to. It might be educated guesses because McFall did such a bad job at reporting on it... But we can at least give her Julia's true age and perhaps get a better time of death estimate based on that alone - and probably also the stomach contents and when they had apparently eaten that meal.

Comment

• Originally posted by WallaceWackedHer View Post
            Update: I have got in contact with a forensic expert who is willing to work this case. She has worked for the police force on actual homicide cases. Given the terrible crime scene photos (things were moved from their original place) and McFall's fallibility, I hope she will be able to make some suggestions.

This is an important step to take, since a major part of the case is going to come down to the events that took place in the parlour and this is a matter of forensics. 12 blows or 3? Better time of death estimate? The position of Julia and her attacker? These are things we need answers to. It might be educated guesses because McFall did such a bad job at reporting on it... But we can at least give her Julia's true age and perhaps get a better time of death estimate based on that alone - and probably also the stomach contents and when they had apparently eaten that meal.
            That’s interesting. Being in touch with a person of this calibre.

However, I dont see the moving of furniture, or the position of the body, or the absence of the murder weapon, being of much help in determining whether Wallace was guilty or not. Julia’s true age are you making reference here to Rigor Mortis , which McFall solely relied on, and which can make a difference ?

Comment

• Originally posted by moste View Post

That’s interesting. Being in touch with a person of this calibre.

However, I dont see the moving of furniture, or the position of the body, or the absence of the murder weapon, being of much help in determining whether Wallace was guilty or not. Julia’s true age are you making reference here to Rigor Mortis , which McFall solely relied on, and which can make a difference ?
              It's crucial in the same way as it is for every other homicide case. Knowing what happened and how is a lot more helpful than you think.

Comment

• So in modern forensics rigor is considered accurate to only 8 hours of the time of death. In other words the test is almost completely useless.

If McFall says 6 that means 2 PM until 10 by today's standards lol. If he says 7.50 like he did originally then well, you get the picture.

Liver temperature is a better test.

But she thinks the congealing of blood could be useful. Maybe that clot on the toilet pan will end up being helpful. We shall see how things progress.

I have also sent morgue photos and the trial etc., will keep you updated.

Comment

• The ABO blood types were discovered by Karl Landsteiner in 1901, for which he received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1930.so says Google.

Question , does anyone know if Wallace’s blood type was compared with the spot on the toilet pan, and smears on the bank notes . I should think a forensic expert would want to look into this. I don’t recall any discussion on the subject, maybe I missed it.

Comment

• It wasn't checked otherwise I'd have thought it would have been used in court. Barely and proper tests were conducted.

Comment

• Originally posted by WallaceWackedHer View Post
                      It wasn't checked otherwise I'd have thought it would have been used in court. Barely and proper tests were conducted.
                      So, since a blood group comparison may NOT have helped.It may also have entirely exonerated Wallace! If not by association, certainly as the physical murderer.
                      Last edited by moste; 03-08-2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by moste View Post

So, since a blood group comparison may NOT have helped.It may also have entirely exonerated Wallace! If not by association, certainly as the physical murderer.
                        True if it wasn't the type of his wife or himself it would be strong.

Though one wouldn't expect the killer to have been bleeding. Usually that happens in stabbings (almost always, actually), because the person's hand slips down onto the blade and they accidentally cut themselves if there's no hand guard.

Here it is blunt force trauma. The test should have been done but it was more than likely from Julia. Same for the smear on the note. If that stain was on just one note I think that's important as among the missing cash box money was one pound note... I seem to recall the stain extended across the top of the notes or something?

Comment

• It's odd in Gannon's book he says McFall said in his first report Julia was on the double seated sofa with her head to the right. By the trial he has her in the single seater armchair on the opposite side of the room with her head to the left.

Along with a random change from 19.50 to 18.00 as the ToD and overall incompetence in gaining important information, if he had her on the total opposite side of the room that is inexcusable and his entire opinion and credit as an expert should be entirely discarded.

Comment

• Forensic update:

Okay, so I've had a thorough look through both forensic pathologist and the analysts testimonies. It's very clear that the pathologist hold too much weight to the methods they use, as was common at the time. As no temperatures were taken, and there aren't even notes on the rigor method they did use, I would suggest disregarding their estimations for time of death, and keep it broad as stated by the witnesses. There's no indication of the heat of the room which would also change rigor mortis onset. Even between themselves they seem to disagree on this method

The blood pattern analysis is, as expected, rudimentary and regarded too highly. Obviously, the photographs don't show these patterns in great detail due to the technology of the day. However, the overall location of the blows seems to be consistent with what McFall states. More information could be concluded if the full bloodstains could be seen. The postmortem information seems to suggest blunt force trauma to the head, the number of blows estimate is tenuous by McFall but I'd be happy to say that it was multiple blows.

This type of injury would likely cause a lot of blowback blood spatter, meaning the perpetrator would be covered in blood, from the testimonies it doesn't seem consistent that the MacKintosh was being worn during this (although if there is an image of this I might be able to be more conclusive). Also I would disregard the blood on the toilet pan as transfer, as it is inconsistent with the rest of the evidence.

I'm sure there's more I can help with here, if there's anything else you want based on the testimony you would like to clarify/know just ask the question.

From reading the testimonies I think the following items could be extremely helpful for further analysis:

-Exhibit 56 -> sketch of body position and blood clot location
                            -Images of the MacKintosh
                            -Postmortem sketch by McFall
                            -Colourised version of the postmortem photo

I understand these may not be available, but if there's anything that can help me further your information that would be great.

Comment

• This just sent to me by Josh who was searching for something else:

Today, the ECHO spoke to the 93-year-old's devastated daughter, who described how the gang first forced a back kitchen door before locking and bolting the front door, and turning off the electricity.
                              So they instantly bolted the front door and cut the lights lol. Just thought that was funny.

They battered her for no reason sadly. She was in bed so they didn't really need to hurt her. Some people are just ****ed up.

Comment

• More forensics:

Thanks for the pictures. I've had another look at the new images and the ones you sent through previously. Unfortunately the sketch isn't as informative as I had hoped, but that is to be expected with this evidence I suppose!

In my previous message by location of the blows I meant where Julia was positioned when the first blow occurred. The concentration of the blood spatter to the left of the fireplace, and the height of this, suggests the position of Julia's head would have been in this area when struck. Due to the angle of the photograph, I couldn't say how she was positioned for this to happen though. It was definitely lower than standing height, whether this be sat down, bent down, or kneeling is unclear. There is a couple of blood spots on the ceiling, suggesting cast-off from whatever was used to hit the victim. These indicate that at least one pull back of the weapon (after landing a blow) would have occurred in the left corner of the room, closer to the violin case.

In relation to the mackintosh, obviously a lot of the blood patterning is obscured by the pooling blood from being under the body. I wouldn't rule out that the mac could have been worn, but I would envision a greater spatter on the fabric if so. The burn to Julia's skirt and the mac would suggest these had both caught in the same way, so the more likely scenario would be the mac was on or close to her and fell under during the attack. This is more speculation though as there is little usable forensic evidence on here. Some of the blows were done in a position similar to that which the body was found in, which McFall is correct on due to the brain leaching. I would expect quite a bit of spatter on the suspect's leg at around ankle height. As there is no mention of bloody footprints leaving the room, or indeed anywhere, it's possible this was wiped off with something in the room; as there are no other items mentioned with lots of blood on it would stand to reason that the mac was used. Again, this is a hypothetical but worth mentioning.

Clearly, the competence of the photography of the jacket isn't ideal. I can't really say more about the spatter on here from this. Also it was disturbed, and looks to have been laid in the blood pooling, so further transfer likely occurred.

The stomach contents is a point I forgot to mention on the last message, my apologies. The postmortem states the food in the stomach still had an 'unmasticated' appearance. This suggests that the time of death was between 0 and 2 hours after consumption. This has some individual variability, but does give an indication.
                                We are continuing the work. I think she is not very keen on the idea of the jacket being used.

I think she is suggesting the first strike to the front of the head, then all the followup shots with Julia's body positioned roughly in the position in which it was discovered.

Wallace got home at 6.05 PM, and then ate - sadly he never gave an actual time for this event, but I think it puts the time of death bracket at around 6.10 to 8.10 which doesn't seem to aid us much lol.

I have inquired though about the Johnstons hearing thuds at a claimed 8.25 to 8.30 PM. It seems to stretch the time boundary but it is the only audio cue we do have. I say this only because the Holmes sounds are impossible if as they said the door closed on Alan after they heard a body fall. It'd mean Wallace in drag or something? What do you think.

I think she finds the 11 blows suggestion weak. If it's a lower number of strikes it could potentially match that sound. Wallace then was apparently sighted by Lily Hall only a little after this. 5 minutes in fact.

Comment

Working...
                                X