Ghosts....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.S.

I have no bother in the world in having people disbelieve me as I would too if it hadn't happened to me. However, after it happened (being a logical thinker!), I read a lot in order to explain to myself why that happened...best I came up with was that ghosts exist indeed. SURE as anything they do. HAVING established that I went back to my professional job in my usual professional state of mind!

I am of the opinion that physical being is not the dominating feature of any living thing. There is something greater than the being that we probably term 'soul'. 'Soul' is greater than physical and so is a mystery to us...I'm happy with that *puts on professional hat* - I sound a 'nutter' in recalling my story but assure you that I am not!!!
    I read it all, every word, and I still don't understand a thing... - Travis

Comment

I think that the idea of ghosts and reincarnation is all to do with the human mind.

It is impossible to imagine being dead, isn't it? We cannot imagine not being able to think. Yes, imagining ourselves being completely dead and gone is an impossibility. Hence spirits and ghosts. We need these things to reassure ourselves that our souls can live on indefinity.

If human beings have a soul then so too must all sentinent creatures yet we never hear of rat ghosts or polar bear ghosts, or whatever.

To think that humans are the only animals with souls is surely being rather egotistical on our part?
      This is simply my opinion

Comment

To think that humans are the only animals with souls is surely being rather egotistical on our part?
        Strangely enough there are loads of ghostly cat stories (for one, my mother told me that the old C&A Marble Arch branch (possibly Primark now ?) had the
        basement haunted by a ghost cat.

There are also human ghosts perched on ghostly horses.

As a point of interest, I saw an art exposition at a local psychiatric hospital, where 'cats' were a popular subject (I asked whether the patients had been given a theme, or whether the hospital had a cat, and in both cases the answer was 'no'). I don't know if this ties in, in any way, but it might possibly...
        http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
          There are also human ghosts perched on ghostly horses.
          Well that's the part I just don't 'get'.

Presumably ghosts are meant to be spirits or souls or dead people who wish to 'make a statement' and do some haunting.

However, it's doubtful that a horse, although it's just as like to have a soul, would coincidentally wish to do some haunting along with it's master.

Having said all that, here's an interesting case of a spooky chicken doing some haunting in London. You'll like it.

One of London's most unusual ghosts has to be the ghostly chicken that haunts Pond Square in Highgate.
          This is simply my opinion

Comment

Having said all that, here's an interesting case of a spooky chicken doing some haunting in London. You'll like it

Hmmmmn. (I did enjoy it though,).

Comment

Bacon Stuffing

Having said all that, here's an interesting case of a spooky chicken doing some haunting in London. You'll like it
              I'm not surprised the chicken's a bit spooky. Probably the only time in history that a Chicken's been stuffed by Bacon that wasn't already dead!

Regards, Bridewell.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by louisa View Post
                Well that's the part I just don't 'get'.

Presumably ghosts are meant to be spirits or souls or dead people who wish to 'make a statement' and do some haunting.

However, it's doubtful that a horse, although it's just as like to have a soul, would coincidentally wish to do some haunting along with it's master.

Having said all that, here's an interesting case of a spooky chicken doing some haunting in London. You'll like it.

http://www.haunted-london.com/pond-square-ghost.html
                Uhm, I don't know what to make of the spooky chicken, lol.

But, and I do believe in God, btw, what if the whole idea of a 'soul' is wrong? What if we are energy, just same as an animal, and don't ask me beyond that. But what if we do not or cannot understand what a ghost is because it is so far from our understanding of the whole universe, just yet?

I've considered it from the string theory standpoint, closest I've gotten for some vague explaination. Realms right in front of us, on another quantum level.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                  What if we are energy, just same as an animal, and don't ask me beyond that. .
                  Very interesting to find that.

This weekend I went down to Morgonton, N.C., in Burke County, which hosts the overlook toward the Brown Mountain Lights.

For at least 400 years, people have been seeing mysterious lights on a mountain 2.5 miles away from the overlook. The lights have been studied and stories have been collected.

In February, the first symposium was held. In the past it has been believed the lights were ghosts or spirits.

Now, it is thought they are most likely to be naturally occurring energy.

I will probably write a story on it and contact the researchers, but I spent Saturday night with a group of writers looking across a black chasm hoping to see the light.

Nothing for us. But it was a wonderful weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                    Very interesting to find that.

This weekend I went down to Morgonton, N.C., in Burke County, which hosts the overlook toward the Brown Mountain Lights.

For at least 400 years, people have been seeing mysterious lights on a mountain 2.5 miles away from the overlook. The lights have been studied and stories have been collected.

In February, the first symposium was held. In the past it has been believed the lights were ghosts or spirits.

Now, it is thought they are most likely to be naturally occurring energy.

I will probably write a story on it and contact the researchers, but I spent Saturday night with a group of writers looking across a black chasm hoping to see the light.

Nothing for us. But it was a wonderful weekend.
                    Sounds like the Marfa lights in Texas. http://www.qsl.net/w5www/marfa.html I didn't know they had these lights other places.

Make no mistake, though, it seems some ghosts apparently have a consciousness. The term 'energy' makes it seem as if it is just a force in the universe, but there is obviously more to it than that.

I think the skeptics are afraid to face that fact. Kind of like when they believed the earth was the center of the solar system and refused to consider anything beyond that. Made them feel in control.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                      Sounds like the Marfa lights in Texas. http://www.qsl.net/w5www/marfa.html I didn't know they had these lights other places.

Make no mistake, though, it seems some ghosts apparently have a consciousness. The term 'energy' makes it seem as if it is just a force in the universe, but there is obviously more to it than that.

I think the skeptics are afraid to face that fact. Kind of like when they believed the earth was the center of the solar system and refused to consider anything beyond that. Made them feel in control.
                      very interesting. these lights appear in either red or a white or yellow. The reds move quicker.

I'll have to do some reading. And after talking to my boss, most likely won't be doing a story on them. At least not at first. He wants an overview of Morganton -- which is a great little town.

Comment

Hi Curious.

I just wanted to extend my sympathy to you on the loss of your mother.

Take care,
                        Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                          Hi Curious.

I just wanted to extend my sympathy to you on the loss of your mother.

Take care,
                          Archaic
                          Thank you, Archaic.

I appreciate your kindness.

curious

Comment

Agree

There is also obviously more to 'ghosts' than simple 'imagination' or 'the human mind'. That's an oft-wheeled out, simplistic explanation for what seems to be a complex phenomenom (or phenomena).

To my mind, there could be a distinction to be drawn between the 'replay' ghosts that are apparently unaware of human presence; the 'spirit' ghosts which appear to have some sentience; and the 'orb' ghost which have been subject to wide-ranging explanation.

I haven't seen a 'replay' ghost. I have experienced a 'spirit' ghost (not a great deal of fun to live with) and I have seen 'orbs'. Who knows what they are?

There is too much testimony, too much antiquity, for ghost to be the simple product of an over-active imagination.

Like so many mysteries, something is going on. Just wait until I get started on the Loch Ness Monster...

Comment

Originally posted by louisa View Post
                              I think that the idea of ghosts and reincarnation is all to do with the human mind.

It is impossible to imagine being dead, isn't it? We cannot imagine not being able to think. Yes, imagining ourselves being completely dead and gone is an impossibility. Hence spirits and ghosts. We need these things to reassure ourselves that our souls can live on indefinity.

If human beings have a soul then so too must all sentinent creatures yet we never hear of rat ghosts or polar bear ghosts, or whatever.

To be honest with you louisa, I too thought this way until a 'something' half choked me with perfume, hit my door open with force and started filling the room with some 'windy' "yes"...I would be writing in agreement if it wasn't for the fact that it happened to me. Totally understand your thinking. I can't agree though because I KNOW it happened and that I wasn't grieving/wondering how it would be to be dead at the time. It just happened - a 'something' decided that it would and probably took about 10 years off my life-span in doing so as I was scared to near death!

I honestly understand anyone thinking those that believe in 'ghosts' either 'nutters' or just 'wrong' - sure as the sun comes up. I was thinking the same until it happened to me. I think that, UNLESS it happens to you personally, it's a pretty big thing to go about even giving thought to as we trudge daily life...Not something I went about reading up on until I was forced to. To be fair, your thinking is my previous...

All the best.

C.
                              I read it all, every word, and I still don't understand a thing... - Travis

Comment

The thing is though, Canopy, you can see or hear or experience something, and it still be a fabrication of your own mind, and still be wrong...

To be fair, I will tell this story..

I have a very good long standing friend in England, who is one of the most down to earth people that I could imagine. Some years ago she owned, with her then husband, a tiny cottage in Herstmonceaux. She told me that she had sometimes smelt a strong smell of pipe tobacco on her stairs, and that she knew that the previous owner's husband had died of lung cancer, in her bedroom, from smoking a pipe.

She told me this story when I was questioning her about ghosts because I was already fascinated by the difference in attitude between the South Of France & England on this subject.

In her words " ..that's what I've experienced...make of that what you will..I prefer to ignore it because I live here "

I can tell you that my whole family squashed together in the same bed all night (In the room where the bloke died. Although none of us believed in ghosts !)

...but my friend knew about that man when she was buying the cottage from his widow...so was it just a projection of her imagination just the same ?

Comment

Working...
                                X