Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could solve any non-JTR mystery which would it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
    Hi Abby!

Been going through Jeremy Wade's River Monsters' episodes.

If that happened here in North Oz,my money would be on a python.(Watch it Dr Shiu )

My theory is that it was an anaconda.Perhaps an escaped one.
    The bumps being the result of a degustation lunch which Chessie found disgusting,resulting in a search for a main course.
    They do have big heads that often stay just above the water line.

Anyway,thanks for the story.
    thanks DJA
    agree.

Comment

• I'd love to know what happened to the three woman known as the Springfield Three when they vanished together from a house in 1992. I'd also like to know who murdered the Black Dahlia.

Comment

• I have this relentless desire to make sure no one ever gets away with torturing and murdering children. Of all crimes, this is certainly the worst. I wrote a presentation on my blog about the following case. The number one suspect, not determined by the sheriff or law enforcement, but by interested 3rd parties, was a relative of the local Republican Sheriff. The case was never "solved". 16-year-old Jason Bolton went to a party, four people admitted seeing and being with him shortly before he was the victim of a "hit and run". Only one problem, the coroner would determine that Jason was murdered, apparently, before he was run over.
        Attached Files
        There are some crimes which MUST be solved, the torture and murder of a child comes first. Start with Jason...

Comment

• Originally posted by bkohatl View Post
          I have this relentless desire to make sure no one ever gets away with torturing and murdering children. Of all crimes, this is certainly the worst. I wrote a presentation on my blog about the following case. The number one suspect, not determined by the sheriff or law enforcement, but by interested 3rd parties, was a relative of the local Republican Sheriff. The case was never "solved". 16-year-old Jason Bolton went to a party, four people admitted seeing and being with him shortly before he was the victim of a "hit and run". Only one problem, the coroner would determine that Jason was murdered, apparently, before he was run over.
          Not a great deal of information out there about this case, certainly not one I'd heard of so thanks for sharing. A truly depressing story, he deserves to be remembered.

Of note, Brian's link contains the crime scene and mortuary photographs so discretion is advised.
          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• For me, it’s 10 Rillington Place. I’d just love to know what exactly did go on in that house. Frustratingly, we never will know. Unlike many, I’m one of those who believe Evans was guilty. But it’s not as simple as that, because I’m betting that Christie, for motives of his own, helped him to cover up the crime.

If Evans did murder his wife it’s ten to one that creepy Christie found out about it, always snooping around the house in his “creep-soled” shoes (I hope you’ll excuse the pun!), investigating those midnight bumps overhead that he and his wife heard. But he didn’t want police in the house at any price--as far as he could avoid it. His first panicked reaction might be to help cover it up at any cost.

Yet on second thoughts, that wouldn’t work either. What if Evans took his wife’s body in his van and dumped it somewhere? Then the police might really come digging for this “missing person”--literally “digging”--digging up the garden, an even worse threat to Christie’s buried secrets. He could have vacillated a great deal between one course of action and another, accounting for much of the irrationality and inconsistency.

What precise interaction might have occurred between these two men is a matter for speculation, and no solution meets all the objections concerned with the case. But the notion that they were both involved to some degree does answer some questions. Why did Evans tell such an absurd cockandbull story about his wife being “put down the drain”? What could he possibly hope to gain from doing so? Regardless of who actually killed Beryl, it does make sense if Christie told him that was what he was going to do with her body.

So why didn’t Evans, in his own confession, mention Christie’s part in assisting him? Out of gratitude? Because he thought Christie could still “help him” as long as he didn’t shop the guy? Maybe.

Nothing in this story makes complete sense. No solution fits perfectly, and that’s what makes this mystery so tantalizing and fascinating. I’d love to know the answers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              The "trailing so" is a pet peeve of mine, usually appearing in interviews with sports stars.

"We've been putting in a lot of work on the practice field recently, so..."

So... what, exactly? I'm still waiting.
              There are a couple of reporters on NPR that EVERY time they speak, they start with that "So, ..." It gets really annoying when listening to an interview.

My take is that it's a stall for time, like "um","er","ah", etc., but more assertive- they don't know what they're going to say, but want to keep control of the conversation. Which raises a question: When did this stuff start? There have been public speakers for much of Human History- did Roman speakers do a Latin version of "um..."?

Comment

• Originally posted by OneRound View Post
                A very strong favourite for me is the so called, albeit wrongly, JD Cooper.

OneRound
                Are you referring to the 1971 airplane hijacking? It's D.B. Cooper, although the name was an error perpetuated by the media. It was a "DAN Cooper" that was a suspect. I was in high school at the time and the whole thing was a MAJOR news event here. (The plane departed from what is now referred to as PDX, then was Portland International.)
                Last edited by C. F. Leon; 12-23-2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the list I only just spotted your reply.

The last on your list, by Arnold Brown is one that I used to own before reluctantly selling books to make space. If I recall correctly this one was the book that had a cousin as a suspect? I could be wrong though. I recall another one of the titles that I used to own was called A Private Disgrace (I think.)

If I bought a book on the subject now it would have to be one that gives a good overview of all the theories.

Thanks again
                  A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden by Daylight, by Victoria Lincoln (1967). One of the first devoted books that I read on the case. The theory is that Lizzie committed the murders under the influence of what we would call PMS today (although I don't think Lincoln EVER uses that term- she uses "menstrual epilepsy").

Brown's book was one of several that came out around the centennial of the murders (1892). His suspect isn't one of the usual ones (Lizzie, Emma, Bridget). Rather he has a previously unknown illegitimate son of Andrew as the literally crazed killer, that was later himself murdered by some nebulous Fall River "Star Chamber" members. The book is actually not a bad read, and raises some questions of the "Questioning the Myth" sort that I had never thought of before.

I could supply a better, more comprehensive bibliography, by the way.
                  Last edited by C. F. Leon; 12-23-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• I thought that Cara Robertson’s recent book on the Borden case was very good.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

Don't you know. What the world needs now is "Love...Sweet Love". It's the only thing that there's just too little of....

Jeff
                      With a world population fast approached 8 BILLION, even with the Pandemic, I think we need LESS "Love" and more "Restraint".

Comment

• Well, if this threads getting a revival, I think this is rather fitting:

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/soc...735#post614735

It's Harry D's response that really makes it
                        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi CD
                          agree-Earhardt got lost, couldnt find the targeted island she was supposed to land on ran out of fuel and crashed in the ocean.
                          JFK I think there is a chance there might have been another shooter from the front, although dosnt have to be some kind of huge gov conspiracy.

for a real missing flight head scratcher-the disappearance of Flight 19 and then the rescue plane that went to search for them. totally weird.
                          Read The Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved, by Larry Kusche (1974). It pretty much demolishes the Bermuda Triangle as a real phenomena. Most of the disappearances are actually reasonably explained, did not occur in the "Triangle" area, or else never happened. But it sells books/articles, so it lives on and on and on... Where have we heard THAT before?

Short story: Flight 19 was a group of 5 bombers on a navigation training flight. 4 of the planes had student pilots. The weather got bad and radio traffic indicated that the pilots were off course and lost. The Mariner Flying boat was NOT a rescue mission, but a search plane. Witnesses reported seeing it explode in flight. Wreckage was discovered in the likely area, but never positively identified.

Comment

• One I always wanted solved...has now been solved (at least the identity part), after 44 years !!!

The Sumter County Does

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...248671040.html

Hallelujah!

All kinds of crank theories as to their identities proposed over the years, and obviously some of the alleged evidence claimed by "eye-witnesses" was crankery too!

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedM...identified_as/

May they rest in peace, with their names regained.

Now go find their killers!
                            Last edited by RodCrosby; 01-23-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                              Please take this thread seriously. No one likes a comedian.
                              Do you regret that post now?
                              My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Who killed Jake McKnight in 1991. 10 year old boy stabbed to death In a local park. Still unsolved. This was in my town.

Twenty-six years after 10-year-old Jakeob McKnight was brutally slain at a Lakewood, Colorado park, an old friend who was among the last to see him and a cold case detective arent giving up on bringing someone to justiceand they say the primary suspects havent changed after all these years.
                                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                                ---------------
                                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X