Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a professional artist. Here is my Ripper idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarlitShoal View Post
    Hi, guys! I'm new here, but I am really excited to be joining you all. I work as a professional pastel artist and I've been wanting to draw something Ripper-related for quite some time. At first, I thought that I would use a photo I found of a caped man in a top hat staring up at Big Ben, but then I came across another that I felt did a much better job at capturing the notorious legend in an artistic manner. Attached is the picture. I am going to add an additional streetlamp in the lefthand area of the foreground because the lighting on the blade as it currently stands doesn't make any logical sense. I'm also going to add a pool of blood at Ripper's feet near his shadow as if he is walking away from his latest murder scene. The light from the added streetlamp will reflect off of both the knife and the pool of blood. This blood is going to be red, as it should be, and will be the only color in an otherwise black and white drawing. This is called selective color. What does everyone think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ripper.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	784546
    your a strange bird

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

your a strange bird
      but in a good way.

Comment

Hi, guys! I'm new here, but I am really excited to be joining you all. I work as a professional pastel artist and I've been wanting to draw something Ripper-related for quite some time. At first, I thought that I would use a photo I found of a caped man in a top hat staring up at Big Ben, but then I came across another that I felt did a much better job at capturing the notorious legend in an artistic manner. Attached is the picture. I am going to add an additional streetlamp in the lefthand area of the foreground because the lighting on the blade as it currently stands doesn't make any logical sense. I'm also going to add a pool of blood at Ripper's feet near his shadow as if he is walking away from his latest murder scene. The light from the added streetlamp will reflect off of both the knife and the pool of blood. This blood is going to be red, as it should be, and will be the only color in an otherwise black and white drawing. This is called selective color. What does everyone think?

i think it might be cool to add a wisp of green fog in there somewhere too. i like to paint to but mainly oil on canbas. itll be interesting to see how it turns out, please post when you are done.

Comment

Not a single eyewitness describes the Ripper as wearing a top hat.

Here are how some of the more credible eyewitnesses described men who were seen in the vicinity of Ripper crimes:

Joseph Lawende
          "of shabby appearance, about 30 years of age and 5ft. 9in. in height, of fair complexion, having a small fair moustache, and wearing a red neckerchief and a cap with a peak".
          Mary Ann Cox
          The man was aged around 35 or 36 and was about 5' 5" tall. He was shabbily dressed in a long overcoat and a billycock hat. He had a blotchy face and small side whiskers and a carroty mustache. The man is carrying a pail of beer.
          A lot of artists have made depictions of the Ripper as the stereotypical top-hatted toff. If you instead drew a "historically accurate Jack the Ripper" based on eyewitness testimony, that would make you more unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post

A lot of artists have made depictions of the Ripper as the stereotypical top-hatted toff. If you instead drew a "historically accurate Jack the Ripper" based on eyewitness testimony, that would make you more unique.
            More unique but much less appealing, it would seem. So what actually is the attraction of the top-hatted toff look, that also seems to be popular in the general public?

Does everyone project ideas onto the almost blank Ripper slate, including serious Ripperologists? For example, that the man was a loner, and/or that he lived alone?
            Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

More unique but much less appealing, it would seem. So what actually is the attraction of the top-hatted toff look, that also seems to be popular in the general public?

Does everyone project ideas onto the almost blank Ripper slate, including serious Ripperologists? For example, that the man was a loner, and/or that he lived alone?
              I think the top hat and cape was popularized more in the 20th-century movies than in drawings contemporary to the era of the crimes. There is a connection to both the idea of an evil doctor, as well as an upper-crust (or even royal?) personage.

Newspaper drawings of the Ripper from the period of the murders varied widely, as did the ideas of his identity. Some were stereotypical images of Jewish or foreign immigrants (reflecting the idea that Jack couldn't have been "an Englishman"), others showed men in ragged clothing (suggesting the lower classes), and a famous one depicts a symbolic skeleton with a blood dripping knife.
              More often, the drawings tried to depict the man witnesses described, often differing only in the type of hat, age, and facial hair.

Today, Jack is considered to be more likely a man who seemed normal enough, and could have fitted into the slums without being noticed. Not exciting, maybe, but perfectly understandable to a society familiar with serial killers who "seemed the quiet sort" and were able to cover up their murderous urges.

From an artistic viewpoint, it is true that without his top hat and doctor's bag, we may not recognize Jack the Ripper. The Granada television series of Sherlock Holmes broke with tradition when they had Jeremy Brett's character of the detective wear a top hat in the city, never his (trademark) deerstalker cap. It was more in keeping with history, and helped make this Holmes stand out from his predecessors. So, it can be done.

Wish you well with your drawing! Good luck!
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

... What does everyone think?

Hello.

Just love detailed sketches like this, though there is a strong resemblance to Sugden's latest cover.

One observation that comes to mind is that in the sketch, from the waist down, it looks more like a dress. A coat or cape doesn't flounce out so wide as is shown.
                Men's clothing was heavy material, a cape or coat would hang straight down even when the man is walking.
                Still, it is a moving representation of the classical 'Ripper' theme.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                X