No announcement yet.

Ripperologist 127: August 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The book was kinda forced on me Maria.

The timescales were unrealistic without the complications I personally endured. To be honest though, my heart is in another book I'm working on which I hope will see the light of day, as I think it will be worth reading.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hi Mike,

I'm playing the interested bystander here.

Which cherries did Trevor leave on the tree?

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Neil,

Poor Don Souden waited patiently for my Brough photos so he could complete his NIR work, I think he has now figured why I was so late.

LOL. Clearly you were juggling several balls at once, but all's well. You got your Rip stuff done and your photos (and vignette of your getting the "bum's rush" from Scalby Manor) put the finishing touches on what I still think was a darn good and comprehensive article in NIR about the bloodhounds.

Don.
        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

• Originally posted by Supe View Post
          Neil,

Poor Don Souden waited patiently for my Brough photos so he could complete his NIR work, I think he has now figured why I was so late.

LOL. Clearly you were juggling several balls at once, but all's well. You got your Rip stuff done and your photos (and vignette of your getting the "bum's rush" from Scalby Manor) put the finishing touches on what I still think was a darn good and comprehensive article in NIR about the bloodhounds.

Don.
          I think its the definitive piece on the subject Don.

I certtainly do not recall such a detailed examination and presentation on Brough and the use/history of Bloodhounds.

I reccomend it to anyone who wishes to know more on the subject.

And, as I type, I'm looking across at a piece of Burgho and Barnabys kennel tile. Yes, I took a souviner from Scalby Manor.

Monty
          Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
            And, as I type, I'm looking across at a piece of Burgho and Barnabys kennel tile. Yes, I took a souviner from Scalby Manor.

Monty
            Thieving b'stard.

Comment

• And, as I type, I'm looking across at a piece of Burgho and Barnabys kennel tile. Yes, I took a souviner from Scalby Manor.

Thieving b'stard.

There but for the grace of God go most Ripperologists.

Don.
              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                Thieving b'stard.
                Presarving history fella.

Monty
                Monty

Comment

The book was kinda forced on me Maria.
                  The timescales were unrealistic without the complications I personally endured. To be honest though, my heart is in another book I'm working on which I hope will see the light of day, as I think it will be worth reading.
                  That's real cool, hope it's done soon, and that it's about the police.

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                  Thieving b'stard.
                  If already the rocks are disappearing from the sites, no wonder that so many sources are unaccounted for. ;-)
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                    Hi Trevor,

The criteria for custody is irrelevant. In your article you make it clear that Magistrate Hannay could not tri the case, but could only hear the case. Central Criminal Court was required to tri the case, so 'held for trial' occurred AFTER Hannay committed the case to Central Criminal Court.

Sincerely,
                    Mike
                    Nice try Mike

Your wording "held for trial" is correct but you understanding of it is incorrcet

It is clear you still have not read the article thoroughly with regard to committal or if you have you do not fully understand it.

It is fact that if a committal could not be completed in one court sitting then the magistrate had the power to adjourn proceedings and remand the prisoner in custody for not more than 8 days and then bring him back to complete the committal.

Work the days out from November 7th-14th

Tumblety was therefore committed on the 14th "in custody" and then bailed on 16th.

So if he was committed in custody on the 14th he must have been in custody up until then.

Comment

Presarving history fella.

Monty
                      That's what I told the police I stole a Kelly Brook cardboard cut out.

Rob

Comment

• Ripperologist 128

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                        Well done to all concerned. Rip 127 will be a hard act to follow.

Regards, Bridewell.

Watch this space!

Best wishes
                        Adam

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                          Nice try Mike
                          Thank you Trevor, thank you.

It is fact that if a committal could not be completed in one court sitting then the magistrate had the power to adjourn proceedings and remand the prisoner in custody for not more than 8 days and then bring him back to complete the committal.
                          I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. It's just that the hearing and committal was completed in one day -November 14th- so it just did not apply in Tumblety's case.

Hi Simon,

Cherry pie is forthcoming!

Sincerely,

Mike
                          The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                          http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

• Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                            Bridewell,

Your mistake is 'on the balance of probabilities'. As I stated earlier, in terms of logic his argument was quite valid (i.e., convincing) but it is not sound. I don't expect you to know there the cherry picking has occurred because you don't research Tumblety. Enjoy my next posts.

Sincerely,
                            Mike
                            As promised, here is the first of my posts:

Sincerely,

Mike
                            The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                            http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                              Three points:

(1) There is no record of Tumblety mentioning this big mistake, but that doesn't prove he never did so.

(2) Committal proceedings are a stage on the journey to the higher court, so the difference, if a 'Not Guilty' plea has been entered, is chronological only.

(3) I have disagreed with Trevor on very many occasions, but I thought his article was well-presented and structured in its approach. He didn't (as I read it) claim that Tumblety couldn't be JtR, only that, if JtR killed all MacNaghten's canonical five victims, that individual could not, on the available evidence, be Francis Tumblety. I think that was an entirely rational conclusion to draw on the balance of probabilities.

Trevor's article has been somewhat damned with faint praise. That saddens me because I think it deserved better. It gets an unequivocal "Well Done" from me.

Regards, Bridewell.
                              Thank you for the kind comments.

You are totally correct with regards to your observations and comments in para 3 above.

That was precisely the purpose of the excercise and is by no means loaded as has been suggested.

Comment

• For Rob Clack....

Hi Rob

As I said before, your work and Neil's here is top notch. This is just regarding the 1912 Kings Block photo which I've always liked and is obviously taken from the junction of what was Harrow Alley and Back Gravel Lane.

Might you happen to have a photo of what this view looks like now?
                                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                                X