Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book ID Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Book ID Help

    I just noticed this books forums column and to be fair I just asked this question in the Prince Albert Victor column but thought to ask here to see if any with more knowledge of the books and authors may know. In college I did a report on JtR and one of the books I used said that it used documents that "may disappear" so it included them in the book...And pointed to Prince Albert Victor being the one that did the murders but that, I wanna say that he was mentioned as an author at the time, wrote the Ripper letters. I can't recall the name of that book; can someone help on this?

  • #2
    I don't think I have ever heard the notion that the Prince wrote Jack the Ripper. I have heard he was friends with Sackett, who is suspected both of being the murderer, and also of not being the murderer but has written letters purporting to be from Jack.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
      I don't think I have ever heard the notion that the Prince wrote Jack the Ripper. I have heard he was friends with Sackett, who is suspected both of being the murderer, and also of not being the murderer but has written letters purporting to be from Jack.
      No no, I mean that in this book the Prince did the murders and someone else wrote the letters, and I THINK I recall it saying that the person that wrote the letters was an author. This book had a lot of examples of original documents of the time within its pages..

      Comment


      • #4
        Clark, when were you in college?

        There's not an overabundance of books, if you go back a bit, it eliminates more and narrows down the potential books.

        Was it Knight?
        Thems the Vagaries.....

        Comment


        • #5
          It might have been Murder and Madness: The Secret Life Of Jack The Ripper by David Abrahamsen. It’s been years since I read it but it claimed that Prince Eddie and JK Stephen were guilty. Stephen was a poet so it could be the book you’re talking about Clark.

          https://www.amazon.co.uk/Murder-Madn.../dp/1556112793
          Regards

          Herlock



          Chairman of the National Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To The Old Established Theories.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by clark2710 View Post
            I just noticed this books forums column and to be fair I just asked this question in the Prince Albert Victor column but thought to ask here to see if any with more knowledge of the books and authors may know. In college I did a report on JtR and one of the books I used said that it used documents that "may disappear" so it included them in the book...And pointed to Prince Albert Victor being the one that did the murders but that, I wanna say that he was mentioned as an author at the time, wrote the Ripper letters. I can't recall the name of that book; can someone help on this?
            The main biography of PAV that I'm aware of is: "Clarence; The life of HRH The Duke of Clarence and Avondale." by Michael Harrison.

            Comment


            • #7
              Here's the list of main references re PAV, as listed by Wikipedia.External links

              Comment


              • #8
                Why is Trevor’s book on the list? It must have been a very brief reference. I think that if we listed every ripper book that mentioned PAV it would be a pretty long list.

                Two more where PAV played a leading part.

                Prince Jack by Frank Spiering
                The Ripper And The Royals by Melvyn Fairclough.
                Regards

                Herlock



                Chairman of the National Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To The Old Established Theories.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                  Why is Trevor’s book on the list? It must have been a very brief reference. I think that if we listed every ripper book that mentioned PAV it would be a pretty long list.

                  Two more where PAV played a leading part.

                  Prince Jack by Frank Spiering
                  The Ripper And The Royals by Melvyn Fairclough.
                  Yeah Herlock, I wondered about Trevor's inclusion on the list.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Prince Jack, The True Story of Jack the Ripper by Frank Spiering, 1978, Doubleday & Company (hardcover); 1980, Jove Publications Inc. (paperback).

                    Wolf.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by clark2710 View Post

                      No no, I mean that in this book the Prince did the murders and someone else wrote the letters, and I THINK I recall it saying that the person that wrote the letters was an author. This book had a lot of examples of original documents of the time within its pages..
                      Oh, okay, thank you for clarifying your original request. I think any books espousing PAV as the Ripper are very dubious. Knight's book was popular for a while, but his informants were strange, to say the least.

                      The comment about using documents that might vanish soon is probably a reference to the Royal "conspiracy" of a cover-up. I think it would have to be a huge conspiracy if it existed.
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
                        Prince Jack, The True Story of Jack the Ripper by Frank Spiering, 1978, Doubleday & Company (hardcover); 1980, Jove Publications Inc. (paperback).

                        Wolf.
                        i'll take a look thank you

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

                          Oh, okay, thank you for clarifying your original request. I think any books espousing PAV as the Ripper are very dubious. Knight's book was popular for a while, but his informants were strange, to say the least.

                          The comment about using documents that might vanish soon is probably a reference to the Royal "conspiracy" of a cover-up. I think it would have to be a huge conspiracy if it existed.
                          thank you i'll take a look

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X