What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaggers the formidable lawyer

He he, Lynn. I meant of course the Mr. Jaggers who employed Wemmick.
    Probably generational, but not too interested in the Rolling Stones.

Hope you had a nice Xmas. I'm “throwing“ another Xmas dinner party tonight, but first need to go through another 50p. of polishing my book manuscript (which incidentally's what I'm reading now, UGH) and to rewrite parts of the introduction.
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

can't get no

Hello Maria. Thanks. Your reply gives me satisfaction.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Lynn, I thought that you “could get no satisfaction“ (not even in Ms. Havisham's Satis house, he he).
        (Have been working 8 hours non stop on the book manuscript, have just finished writing the introduction, and we're about to bake a second duck & co. for a second Xmas dinner. Which I feel very much entitled to after knocking my ass off for sooo long.)
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

reading

Hello Maria. Good luck--and keep reading.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
            My favorite is Great expectations. I love it that it's at times tragic and at times incredibly hilarious.
            Great Expectations was the first adult full length book I ever read. As a kid, at some point you evolve from short stories & childrens books, well, this was the one. Great Expectations is what I affectionately consider my first book.
            Can't for the life of me remember the story or the characters, well, it was about 50 years ago.
            Presently I am re-reading the Casebook News Reports and a book on "Sea Peoples".

Regards, Jon S.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Speaking of Great Expectations, I understand Brit. TV is currently showing a new adaption with Gillian Armstrong as a very goth looking Miss Havisham.
              Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

You could do a lot worse than have Great Expectations as your first adult read!

(Couldn't possibly tell you what mine was now......might have been something like "A Night To Remember" by Walter Lord.)

Cheers,
                Adam.

Comment

The Three Stooges Scrapbook. Its got pictures from the Ted Healey days on down to the feature films in the 1960s. Every two-reeler is chronologically listed. And there's words too.

Comment

Well, what I was reading was a new thread by a disgruntled member, then it vanished into the ether.... (big Brother?)
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I happened to wander into the room one evening when a dramatisation of Great Expectations was on TV. As luck would have it, it was the death of Miss Havisham. Not very nice for a 7 or 8 year old. But I think even spookier was when I got my hands on my parents' medical books. All those bloody drawings showing heart and lungs etc. I realised that I had all that inside me, and I couldn't get at it if something went wrong. I lay awake wondering if my heart would stop.

Comment

Jon,

Well, what I was reading was a new thread by a disgruntled member, then it vanished into the ether

Yes, I wonder what happened there as well.

Don.
                        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Few books on the go at the moment:

Goodbye to Berlin.

Liberation 1944-45.

Storm of Steel.

Liberation being the pick of the bunch.

Comment

Have now moved on to "Tailor made and Trail Worn" The clothing and equipment of the Lewis & Clark Expedition..........

Comment

Fleetwood:

Have you read Antony Beevor's "Berlin: The Downfall" ? Very interesting book.

Cheers,
                              Adam.

Comment

Given the time of year I'm so full of tryptophan that I can barely keep my eyes open, let alone read. Between naps, I've managed to get through John Mortimer's play The Wrong Side of the Park, and Louise Penny's third mystery novel The Cruellest Month. Both quite good, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X