No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read The Zombie & Lincoln ones.....There is also a "Mr.Darcy,Vampire"...

Comment

Hi Good Michael. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's reading good stuff and not just pretentious old 'literature'. I own the Lincoln Vampire Hunter book, but haven't read it yet. Let me know how 'Drood' is as well.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Is "Drood" short for "Mystery of Edwin Drood" of have I missed something?

Tom, what do you regard as "pretentious old literature"?

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Tom,

Drood is really good if plodding at times, but that's Simmons for you. I liked Matthew Pearl's version of the Drood concept, but I think this will be better by the end which is still 250 pages away!

Mike
          huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
            Tom, what do you regard as "pretentious old literature"?
            Adam.
            Latin poetry must enter the category.

Comment

Hi Adam,

Pretty much anything they make you read in high school. I always had to do the reading out loud in English class, usually Shakespeare. This is because I was the one who could phonetically render the words with no problem. But that didn't mean I understood a word of what I was saying. While I have no interest in reading Shakespeare, I find that I love reading about him. Odd, isn't it? The authorship question fascinates me to no end and the parallels between it and Ripperology are striking.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

While I have no interest in reading Shakespeare, I find that I love reading about him. Odd, isn't it? The authorship question fascinates me to no end and the parallels between it and Ripperology are striking.
                I’ve noticed that too. There’s the same capacity for deception, illogic and fantasy.

I’ve just started Bill James’ Popular Crime, Reflections on the Celebration of Violence (it’s not bad). I’m also reading Richard Palmisano’s Ghosts, An Investigation Into a True Canadian Haunting (anything by Palmisano, a Toronto based paranormal investigator, is worth checking out. This one is fairly disturbing). And, finally, for a change of pace, I’m also reading P. G. Woodehouse’s The Little Nugget (not one of his better efforts but fun all the same).

Wolf.

Comment

Must admit that I still pick up Wodehouse now and then. I especially like the Gold bat and his other schoolboy stories.

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    Hi Adam,

Pretty much anything they make you read in high school. I always had to do the reading out loud in English class, usually Shakespeare. This is because I was the one who could phonetically render the words with no problem. But that didn't mean I understood a word of what I was saying. While I have no interest in reading Shakespeare, I find that I love reading about him. Odd, isn't it? The authorship question fascinates me to no end and the parallels between it and Ripperology are striking.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                    Im the very same. I almost never read him but the authorship question interests me. Im reading a biography of Shakespeare at the moment. As I'd imagined, its basically an account of his times rather than a detailed(how much life detail can you obtain from a Will and a couple of court cases?) account of the man.

Comment

Hi Tom,

"While I have no interest in reading Shakespeare, I find that I love reading about him."

Check this out. I think you may like it.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

What were you expecting?

Hello Tom.

"I have no interest in reading Shakespeare."

Oh, dear. That's heresy. Expect a visit from the Spanish Inquisition.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Comment

Hi All,

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."

Oh really?

Best wishes,

Torquemada
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden
                              I’m also reading Richard Palmisano’s Ghosts, An Investigation Into a True Canadian Haunting (anything by Palmisano, a Toronto based paranormal investigator, is worth checking out. This one is fairly disturbing).
                              Talk about illogic and deception, the 'paranormal' world is full of virtually nothing but cranks. From Hans Holzer to Slemen to the 20 fake shows currently on TV. Still they do make for some fascinating reading.

Originally posted by jason_c
                              Im the very same. I almost never read him but the authorship question interests me. Im reading a biography of Shakespeare at the moment. As I'd imagined, its basically an account of his times rather than a detailed(how much life detail can you obtain from a Will and a couple of court cases?) account of the man.
                              There's not enough known about the 'Stratford Man' to really warrant a biography, I would say. But learning about his times is interesting. I'm reading James Shapiro's 'Contested Will' and highly recommend it. I haven't gotten to the final chapter, but it seems he might be a Stratfordian.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

cardinal point

Hello Robert, Simon. That was for Tom. I'm trying to torquemada not reading Shakespeare.

Cheers.
                                LC (AKA, Cardinal Fang)

Comment

Working...
                                X