No announcement yet.

They All Love Jack: Busting the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... Now I'm more interested then I was before to finally read it. Waiting for the library's copy to finally be returned has suddenly become a painful experience.

C4, if I may, skip the note book and go with a recorder- save yourself a hand cramp.
    I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
      That "writing in books" is called "marginalia", and can be very illuminating, if the author is smart enough or a famous enough author in their own right.

"Marginalia: Readers Writing in Books" is a fascinating read on the urge we often have to write down our thoughts.
      https://books.google.com/books/about...d=5-EmNzBEzMUC
      Hello Pat

Sorry, can't agree. I hate it when books are defaced by someone scribbling in them. I buy a good many of my books at charity shops and get really irritated when people make their notes in them. You can always tell when they stopped going to the evening class or whatever, because the notes stop. I have always had a great love of books and although I will keep one which is falling to pieces from being read again and again, I hate to see scribble in them. On the other hand, it is fascinating to see what is left in them. I have found everything from a piece of black cloth (in a very old book) possibly meant for mourning clothes, to a letter recommending the book (about the underground railway - slaves) to a beloved god-child and a postcard (blank) meant to be sent from a soldier to his family.

No, books should be treated with respect. If you want to write in one, write your own book, say I!

Best wishes
      Gwyneth

PS Sorry, off-thread. Unless we find a book on anatomy with a notation in red ink reading "RIGHT round the navel, Jack!
      Last edited by curious4; 12-04-2015, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
        Well... Now I'm more interested then I was before to finally read it. Waiting for the library's copy to finally be returned has suddenly become a painful experience.

C4, if I may, skip the note book and go with a recorder- save yourself a hand cramp.
        Hello Shaggy

Now that IS a good idea :-)!

Best wishes
        C4

Comment

Working...
        X