Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bank Holiday Murders by Tom Wescott (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delete. I'll go ahead and buy it, but the sniping against evolutionary theory in your Rippercast interview leaves me deeply skeptical of your historical acumen, and the subject matter has a certain taste of Royal Conspiracy about it.
    Last edited by Defective Detective; 11-11-2014, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• I saw your original post, and I'll say that although Tom suggests the possibility that the 'Lords of Spitalfields' may have known a little too much about the murders he writes about, I can't see then connection between Tom's book, written very much as a 'you decide', and the Royal Conspiracy, other than multiple people may have hidden the truth. Tom's ideas are after all built around his interpertation of facts, whether pulled from official documents or press reports, while Knight's work hinged on his readership believing in fantasy. Unlike Tom, Knight did not interpret what is factually known, he stated as facts crucial elements of the Royal Conspiracy that were fiction in order to make it work.

And whatever may have offended you about his reference to the missing link (I don't recall exactly the context of what was said here), rest assured that whatever Tom's religious beliefs are, they stay out of the book.

I do wish to thank you for taking the time to listen to the podcast interview before you made a decision on whether or not to buy this book. I hope to have more authors on in the future and am pleased to read that these interviews benefit not only those who have read the things, but also listeners like you who were still on the fence.

All the best,

JM

Comment

• Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        I saw your original post, and I'll say that although Tom suggests the possibility that the 'Lords of Spitalfields' may have known a little too much about the murders he writes about, I can't see then connection between Tom's book, written very much as a 'you decide', and the Royal Conspiracy, other than multiple people may have hidden the truth. Tom's ideas are after all built around his interpertation of facts, whether pulled from official documents or press reports, while Knight's work hinged on his readership believing in fantasy. Unlike Tom, Knight did not interpret what is factually known, he stated as facts crucial elements of the Royal Conspiracy that were fiction in order to make it work.

And whatever may have offended you about his reference to the missing link (I don't recall exactly the context of what was said here), rest assured that whatever Tom's religious beliefs are, they stay out of the book.

I do wish to thank you for taking the time to listen to the podcast interview before you made a decision on whether or not to buy this book. I hope to have more authors on in the future and am pleased to read that these interviews benefit not only those who have read the things, but also listeners like you who were still on the fence.

All the best,

JM
        Hi JM,

Thought I'd take the opportunity to add to DD's praise for the podcasts. The best thing on Casebook IMHO, refreshingly free from any of the partisan bickering that creeps into pretty much everything else.

Trouble is there are only so many, so I'm having to limit my daily intake.

Having said that, I have listened to a few of them several times, so that helps stretch them out a bit.

Keep up the good work.

Gary

Comment

• Originally posted by jmenges View Post
          I saw your original post, and I'll say that although Tom suggests the possibility that the 'Lords of Spitalfields' may have known a little too much about the murders he writes about, I can't see then connection between Tom's book, written very much as a 'you decide', and the Royal Conspiracy, other than multiple people may have hidden the truth. Tom's ideas are after all built around his interpertation of facts, whether pulled from official documents or press reports, while Knight's work hinged on his readership believing in fantasy. Unlike Tom, Knight did not interpret what is factually known, he stated as facts crucial elements of the Royal Conspiracy that were fiction in order to make it work.

All the best,

JM
          Thanks, Menges. I don't recall even mentioning Darwin in the Rippercast, so no idea what he's referring to. But that thing went on forever so I probably hit on damn near anything. In any event, I've spent the last 15 years studying the Whitechapel murders, not Darwinism, to which I do not claim to be an expert.

Actually, I agree with him that on the surface it sounds similar to the royal conspiracy theory. If I'd heard someone else make the claims I do I'd think he was a nut. But after reading the book I'd think differently.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• I just saw this fascinating and (I guess) positive review of The Bank Holiday Murders on a website called autumnofterror.net. I'm compared to Michael Caine in Zulu (not sure what that is, but Caine played Inspector Abberline in 1988's 'Jack the Ripper). It's alternately a review of the Rippercast podcast I did and my book, and he says I 'attack' in both of them. My name is misspelled in the usual way throughout, but I appreciate the reviewer taking the time to both read my book and say nice things about it. I look forward to looking through the site as it's new to me.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• I've just finished this and a really good read it was. It certainly made me think about Pearly Poll. It's quite a coincidence how many of these characters lives crossed.
              Well done Tom for a gripping read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Lee View Post
                I've just finished this and a really good read it was. It certainly made me think about Pearly Poll. It's quite a coincidence how many of these characters lives crossed.
                Well done Tom for a gripping read.
                Thank you for that, Stephen. I'm glad you liked it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• I ordered it today. Much looking forward to it.

Mr. Wescott, do you mind if i pm you a list of questions/concerns/critiques after i'm done reading each chapter?

Comment

• Originally posted by gnote View Post
                    I ordered it today. Much looking forward to it.

Mr. Wescott, do you mind if i pm you a list of questions/concerns/critiques after i'm done reading each chapter?
                    Hi Gnote, thanks. If you feel so moved, by all means.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• New Podcast

A new podcast interview with myself aired last night and the link is below. I talk about my book as well as Crossminski (i.e. the recent 'revelations' about the shawl and Charles Cross as Ripper). This podcast was for the House of Mystery program at Z Talk Radio, hosted by Alan Warren.

Listen in to popular podcasts and radio shows from around the world or start your own with Spreaker!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. If you don't have my book yet, put it on your Christmas list!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                        A new podcast interview with myself aired last night and the link is below. I talk about my book as well as Crossminski (i.e. the recent 'revelations' about the shawl and Charles Cross as Ripper). This podcast was for the House of Mystery program at Z Talk Radio, hosted by Alan Warren.

Listen in to popular podcasts and radio shows from around the world or start your own with Spreaker!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. If you don't have my book yet, put it on your Christmas list!
                        I shall have a listen to this tonight Tom, look forward to it.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Good show Tom, once again you gave another great interview..

Steadmund Brand
                          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                            Good show Tom, once again you gave another great interview..

Steadmund Brand
                            Thanks for listening, Steadmund. Your support is very much appreciated.

Neil,

Take notes.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• G'day Tom I've downloaded it to have a listen on hols.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• What's kind of funny about Tom's interview is that he sounds like an old man whistfully sharing his memories of the past...at least for the first several minutes. I wonder if we would all come off that way.

Mike
                                huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X