Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book recommendations.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

    It's a pirate site, so copyright and royalties are a mere passing concern. I wouldn't trust that site with any of my info or access to my hardware.

    Incidentally, Paul Begg's book is on there. I doubt he consented to his publisher giving it away free.
    I only saw site late last night Al after typing in “like Project Gutenberg” and was shocked to see the books that were ‘available’ especially when I typed in JTR.

    ‘Not with a barge pole’ I think the phrase is.

    Cheers Al
    Regards

    Sir Herlock Sholmes

    “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

    Comment


    • I had a bit of luck today. There are a few charity shops in my local town but there’s one that I normally don’t bother with because they rarely have more than 30 books for sale and they’re usually romance with the occasional Wilbur Smith thrown in or else a biography of Robbie Williams but as I was waiting outside a hairdressers today rapidly losing the will to live I decided to go and have a look. And there amongst the Mills And Boon and the Danielle Steele’s was a copy of Bill Beadle’s Wrongly Hanged. It’s a book that I’ve meant to check out over the years but I’ve never gotten around to it. Happy days.

      Just shows…….it’s always worth a look.
      Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-28-2022, 02:02 PM.
      Regards

      Sir Herlock Sholmes

      “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

      Comment


      • Just ordered "The Inimitable Jeeves" from the library today. Really looking forward to it. It will be my first Wodehouse.

        c.d.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          Just ordered "The Inimitable Jeeves" from the library today. Really looking forward to it. It will be my first Wodehouse.

          c.d.
          I hope you enjoy it c.d.

          Ive decided to try and get all the Wodehouse books in order. I’m currently reading his second novel and have his third on order.
          Regards

          Sir Herlock Sholmes

          “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

          Comment


          • Jeeves is not to be blamed for nothing.
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              I had a bit of luck today. There are a few charity shops in my local town but there’s one that I normally don’t bother with because they rarely have more than 30 books for sale and they’re usually romance with the occasional Wilbur Smith thrown in or else a biography of Robbie Williams but as I was waiting outside a hairdressers today rapidly losing the will to live I decided to go and have a look. And there amongst the Mills And Boon and the Danielle Steele’s was a copy of Bill Beadle’s Wrongly Hanged. It’s a book that I’ve meant to check out over the years but I’ve never gotten around to it. Happy days.

              Just shows…….it’s always worth a look.
              Result H meant to be!!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                Just ordered "The Inimitable Jeeves" from the library today. Really looking forward to it. It will be my first Wodehouse.

                c.d.
                I've just got "The World Of Jeeves" omnibus.

                Funny to think Wodehouse could have been hung for treason.
                Thems the Vagaries.....

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

                  I've just got "The World Of Jeeves" omnibus.

                  Funny to think Wodehouse could have been hung for treason.
                  I missed this post for some reason Al. Yeah, old Plum was a bit naive to have made those broadcasts. They were innocent and non-political of course but he admitted that he’d been stupid. Could have been an nasty outcome though. When I get back from holiday I’m thinking of getting a Wodehouse biography but as you’d expect there are a few to choose from. Looks like Amazon reviews might have to be the deciding factor.
                  Regards

                  Sir Herlock Sholmes

                  “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

                  Comment


                  • The Wodehouse "Golf omnibus" is a bit of a hoot. One does not need to be a golfer to appreciate the humour.
                    Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

                    Comment


                    • I just finished looking through Jack The Ripper Suspects by CJ Morley. It’s almost 700 pages long but you can buy the book split into 2 volumes. It lists 443 suspects, many of them of course were either ‘confessors’ and many were of brief interest after committing other crimes but this book is certainly worth getting imo. So many names that I’d never heard before and many names I hadn’t heard mentioned for years. Weirdest suspect mention? Constance Kent……Gladstone…….MacNaghten!

                      An added bonus was the entry on Van Gogh. There were a few exchanges on here a few years ago with Dale Lerner who was proposing Vincent as a suspect. He didn’t take criticism too well. Like having it pointed out that Van Gogh was in France at the time of the murders. In fact he got quite snotty. CJ Morley informs us though that Larner’s efforts to raise the $8000 required for publishing by crowdfunding only failed by $7456. What a surprise.

                      Dale……where are you?
                      Regards

                      Sir Herlock Sholmes

                      “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

                      Comment


                      • Just read Kingfish: The Reign Of Huey P. Long after seeing a brilliant 2 part Ken Burns documentary (every KB documentary I’ve seen so far has been brilliant) Brilliant book. Long was an amazing person. He achieved a lot of good things for the poor but he was corrupt, a bully and a merciless in ruining the lives and reputations of his opponents. I can recommend the book and the doc.
                        Regards

                        Sir Herlock Sholmes

                        “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

                        Comment


                        • I was in The Works today (which for non-UK posters is a shop that sells, amongst other things, remaindered books.)

                          I saw Jack the Ripper: The Murders and The Myths by Baddely and Woods for 3. It’s a sign of the times with books but I didn’t bother. If anyone tells me that they’ve read it and that it’s not the pile of crap that I assumed it to be then I’ll go back and pick up a copy.

                          A better find though was A Passion For Pouson by Carol Ann Lee also for 3. A book about Graham Young the poisoned which I’m looking forward to getting on to. I’ve read a couple of her books in the past. It’s a little sad for her though that her book should now be on sale in the cheap shop for 3 when it only came out last year!
                          Regards

                          Sir Herlock Sholmes

                          “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

                          Comment


                          • The Baddeley & Woods book is a republication of their 2009 book Saucy Jack: The Elusive Ripper.
                            Inspired by the 2008 Docklands Exhibition, they give a boilerplate overview of the crimes, the main suspects, the Ripper in popular culture, and other “Rippers” throughout history. With contributions from psychologist Jon Ogan and a few members of the Whitechapel Society. Not bad. Not essential.

                            JM

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                              The Baddeley & Woods book is a republication of their 2009 book Saucy Jack: The Elusive Ripper.
                              Inspired by the 2008 Docklands Exhibition, they give a boilerplate overview of the crimes, the main suspects, the Ripper in popular culture, and other “Rippers” throughout history. With contributions from psychologist Jon Ogan and a few members of the Whitechapel Society. Not bad. Not essential.

                              JM
                              Thanks for that Jon. I thought that the authors names were vaguely familiar but I hadn’t got around to checking. I just looked at my shelves though and I do have Saucy Jack.
                              Regards

                              Sir Herlock Sholmes

                              “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

                              Comment


                              • Just finished a cracking biography that I recommend. It’s called Beau Brummell: The Ultimate Dandy by Ian Kelly. I bought it just because I passed Brummell’s statue in Jermyn Street about 10 days ago and I was undecided what to book to order but I’m glad that I did. It really evokes the era well and makes you wish that you could have seen and heard him. His decline and eventual death in a French asylum was such a sad end. Excellent book.
                                Regards

                                Sir Herlock Sholmes

                                “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X