Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmenges
    replied
    Bundles of money pouring down on top of Ripper authors is an old and tired myth.
    Calling Christer's book a "con" written purely for that mythical bundle of money is in violation of our Personal Attack policy.
    Please keep this discussion focused on the content of his book, not your imaginings of what motivated him to write it.

JM

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Originally posted by harry View Post
    I like to see a good con,and this one is good,I hope Fisherman makes a bundle.Not that I am singling him out.I believe every author who has published about the Ripper,had a primary motive of making money,knowing full well they were not going to solve the murders.
    Hi Harry,

I am certain that there are far easier ways to make a bundle of money.

I have no idea how much one would make from such a venture, but I very much doubt that such a niche book would be highly lucrative.

Personally, I salute Fish (and indeed the other authors on here) for having the courage of their convictions, putting in the leg work to painstakingly research their subject and having the sheer balls to print.

Even if motivations are largely financial (which somehow I doubt in this case), people who succeed in making a living doing something which they love and are genuinely fascinated by, are to be much admired (and perhaps a little bit envied?)in my book!

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    I like to see a good con,and this one is good,I hope Fisherman makes a bundle.Not that I am singling him out.I believe every author who has published about the Ripper,had a primary motive of making money,knowing full well they were not going to solve the murders.
    Few posters will have argued more heatedly than I have with Fish on Lechmere (and other aspects of this case) but I’m absolutely certain that Fish genuinely believes that Lechmere is the strongest suspect Harry. We can agree or disagree with him of course but if Fish was looking for a get rich quick scheme I’d suggest that he could have made a better choice than a Jack the Ripper suspect book aimed only at those with a pre-existing knowledge of the case.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by AlanG View Post
    Fair enough. It would be very sad to think we couldn't sit down civily with an ice tea and respect each others views.
    do you really think people like harry who flippantly calls another posters book a "a con" deserve respect? thats up to you, but i certainly dont.

judging by his history and this latest id rather have hot needles in my eyes than have iced tea with that dude lol

Leave a comment:

• AlanG
    replied
    Fair enough. It would be very sad to think we couldn't sit down civily with an ice tea and respect each others views.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by AlanG View Post

Normally I would agree with you. In this case I am of the firm opinion, he wrote it from pure passion for the subject. Whether I agree with him or not, you are forced to respect his opinion. As we all respect yours also.
    well with his history of posts and this last one, i certainly dont. quite the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• AlanG
    replied
    Normally I would agree with you. In this case I am of the firm opinion, he wrote it from pure passion for the subject. Whether I agree with him or not, you are forced to respect his opinion. As we all respect yours also.

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    I'm not sure how much money Christer has/will make, as I said, it's a niche book. It's not shifting millions of units, nor do I imagine it was expected to.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    what are you jealous harry? do you ever have a single useful thing to say? ever??? have you read fishes book? have you read sugden?have you read one book on the subject?
    you know who actually is a con harry? ill give you a hint, you follow him around these threads like a lost puppy dog. what a joke.

Leave a comment:

• harry
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Ok, having had the opportunity to read Christer's book, I'd start with the question "would I recommend it?"
    To that I'd say "yes". It's a well written book that is definitely a 'page turner'

For me, it occupies a niche, as in it's not a book aimed at the novice. I'd wager most readers are familiar with the case. As such, most readers have had the opportunity over the years to formulate their own views, pro Lechmere readers will find vindication, non Lechmere reader's will see his innocence.

Regardless, it serves as a go to reference book for Lechmere, and to a degree the Torsos, so I'd suggest it as a must have in that sense.

Personally, I had a few issues, the night of the "double event" particularly, but what ho, we all do.

In summing up, it takes chutzpah to publish a book, and some serious leg work. Credit where it's due to Christer. A good book, and definitely recommended.

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    We didn't name him, Herlock. He was already Monty when he gave us the job of seeing to his every need. And he does have a needy puss complex. I've never known a cat to get bored, but Monty does.

In a neat twist, before our former neighbour took over his care, he actually lived here at Brown Towers, so he's now back where he belonged, and we are the newcomers to his territory.

Love,

Caz
    X

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Did you name him after a) Montague John Druitt, b) Neil Bell, c) Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery, d) Golfer Colin Montgomery, e) Actor Montgomery Clift, f) Montgomery the Welsh town, g) Montgomery Glands, h) Montgomery, Alabama, I) Jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery, j) Baseball player Jeff Montgomery.

or k) you chose the name entirely randomly and I’ve just wasted 5 minutes finding all of the above Monty’s.

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Ha ha, no he doesn't, Gary. I suspect that's because, according to his previous manservant - our next door neighbour, who moved to Torquay in 2017 - Monty was born in London, like his current staff of two here at Brown Towers, and never lost his accent. I shall start to worry if he takes up cricket or talks about jumping off Hammersmith Bridge.

Love,

Caz
    X

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by caz View Post

Do you mind? I got a Mother's Day card yesterday from my cat Monty, signed in his own paw writing, using pen and ink. I've never seen him piss so I assume he uses next door's garden as a convenience.

The card reads:

MEOW MEOW
    (HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY)

THANKS FOR BEING SUCH A GREAT MEMBER OF STAFF
    XXX

And inside, in a slightly shaky paw:

DEAREST MUM*
    HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY
    ALL MY LOVE
    MONTY
    XXXXXX

*HUMAN MUM

I now suspect Monty of writing the Maybrick diary, because he has much better skills than Mike "Bongo" Barrett ever did.

Sorry Fish, back to Cutting Point, with the photo on the front taken by my great grandfather.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Caz, Does Monty have a West Country accent?

Charlie-Tuna is a rather intelligent and whitty Cat with a Bristolian accent. Charlie-Tuna has a feline take on the goings on of everyday life. He is full of Cat wisdom mixed with a large dose of humour.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X