Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Book coming out with Druitt as JtR

Hi all,

I just saw this article on-line (posted 5 days ago). I'm doubting there's much in the way of new actual facts about Druitt discovered, but who knows, I could be wrong. The article says the book claims 1) Druitt was a med-student at some point and 2) he was arrested and blood-stained, but bluffed his way out! I'm finding the first hard enough to believe as I'm sure that would have been discussed here (so unless I've missed this bit of information, I'm wondering if it's just a conjecture put forth in the book). The second, of course, seems unlikely to be based upon any documented evidence and I'm assuming will be presented as a "what if" type story. It does, however, claim to include a new photo of MJD (apparently his last photo before his death), so that, if verified, would be interesting. I don't mean to pre-judge or disparage work I've not read, just expressing my skepticism, which is not the same as an unwillingness to be proven wrong.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has caught wind of this (the authors are Christine Ward-Agius and Jonathan Hainsworth)? I've not seen any chatter relating to it, and I don't recognize either name (but that doesn't mean much, I often don't recognize my own! )

- Jeff

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post
    Hi all,

I just saw this article on-line (posted 5 days ago). I'm doubting there's much in the way of new actual facts about Druitt discovered, but who knows, I could be wrong. The article says the book claims 1) Druitt was a med-student at some point and 2) he was arrested and blood-stained, but bluffed his way out! I'm finding the first hard enough to believe as I'm sure that would have been discussed here (so unless I've missed this bit of information, I'm wondering if it's just a conjecture put forth in the book). The second, of course, seems unlikely to be based upon any documented evidence and I'm assuming will be presented as a "what if" type story. It does, however, claim to include a new photo of MJD (apparently his last photo before his death), so that, if verified, would be interesting. I don't mean to pre-judge or disparage work I've not read, just expressing my skepticism, which is not the same as an unwillingness to be proven wrong.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has caught wind of this (the authors are Christine Ward-Agius and Jonathan Hainsworth)? I've not seen any chatter relating to it, and I don't recognize either name (but that doesn't mean much, I often don't recognize my own! )

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...ler-prostitute

- Jeff
    hi jeff
    Hainsworth used to post on these boards but now mainly on the other one. Hes one of the most knowledgeable and extensive researchers on Druitt and has quite a detailed story/theory on Druiit. its been known for some time the book is coming out and I am just waiting for when its available in the states.
    From what I know about Jon and his extensive research and posts about Druitt its a must read. there will be new info in it. Ive had issues in the past about some of his ideas about MM and druitt,but hes a good dude and very gracious-I highly recommend you check it out.
    Last edited by Abby Normal; 01-27-2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

- Jeff
      Hi Jeff,
      I posted on this forthcoming book on these boards in August of last year.

You can read the postings regarding the book by going to BOOKS - NON-FICTION, then going to page 3.

The thread is headed "The Escape of Jack the Ripper: The Full Truth About the Cover Up".

I read Jonathan's previous book about Druit, and while I do think some of his points were stretched, it is certainly a well researched and interesting addition
      to the field.

Comment

Ah, that's all good to hear. I'll keep an eye out for then and look forward to something new that's been well researched. I'm not as concerned if I don't agree with all of the interpretations, as that's the nature of interpretation and theory, but as long as the presented facts are well documented it will be a good read in my view.

- Jeff

Comment

"It does, however, claim to include a new photo of MJD (apparently his last photo before his death), so that, if verified, would be interesting. "
          (Jeff Hamm)

I really hope the new photo shows Monty with a blotchy face, side whiskers and a thick carrotty moustache.

Oh please, please, please............................................ ..

Comment

Apparently it takes a medical student or butcher to hack into someone's guts and pull out a bunch of innards. Not really sure who came to that conclusion... Pretty sure if I really wanted to I could cut someone's kidneys out lol.

Comment

Ah, that's all good to hear. I'll keep an eye out for then and look forward to something new that's been well researched. I'm not as concerned if I don't agree with all of the interpretations, as that's the nature of interpretation and theory, but as long as the presented facts are well documented it will be a good read in my view.

- Jeff
              Hi Jeff,

I have this one on pre-order and I’m looking forward to it. Jon’s previous book was excellent imo. As you possibly know I favour Druitt of the named suspects (with Kosminski close) so I’m really interested in seeing what Jon and his partner Christine have come up with. He’s also spoken of evidence that Druitt was confined in an asylum for a period. It’s good to have two books to look forward to (with Adam’s book on Swanson.)
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Has anyone heard of this one before? I found it by chance and it’s certainly a new one on me.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hi Jeff,

I have this one on pre-order and I’m looking forward to it. Jon’s previous book was excellent imo. As you possibly know I favour Druitt of the named suspects (with Kosminski close) so I’m really interested in seeing what Jon and his partner Christine have come up with. He’s also spoken of evidence that Druitt was confined in an asylum for a period. It’s good to have two books to look forward to (with Adam’s book on Swanson.)
                  When I first became interested in the case back in the 1990s, Druitt was my favorite too. But the more I read about the evidence against him, the more it was all a bit too distant. His cricket schedule all but shut the door on his possibility, and requires a late night, early train, etc, which bothers me. Doesn't entirely preclude him, but it leaves me wanting something quite substantial to override that. The lack of anything more direct, other than being listed in the MM along with two others making up a list that reads as if it's just an example of three candidates selected from a larger pool (though MJD is pointed to as favored) makes me want more research. As a result, I'll be very interested to see what's new. Hopefully there are new documented bits of evidence that, given he's apparently the suspect of the book, bring him closer to the scene(s).

- Jeff

Comment

Appleford was Frederick Brown's brother in law.

Both resided at Finsbury Circus,7 and 17 respectively.

Worth having a good look at the implications,given Appleford's training.
                    Last edited by DJA; 01-28-2020, 04:01 PM.
                    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

When I first became interested in the case back in the 1990s, Druitt was my favorite too. But the more I read about the evidence against him, the more it was all a bit too distant. His cricket schedule all but shut the door on his possibility, and requires a late night, early train, etc, which bothers me. Doesn't entirely preclude him, but it leaves me wanting something quite substantial to override that..........

- Jeff
                      Hi Jeff.

Compared with who though?

There is no known suspect where we know their daily or hourly comings and goings sufficiently to eliminate them, or incriminate them. So how does that reflect badly on Druitt?
                      I'm sure you can recall any number of serial killers who committed a crime one hour, and then the next adopted their usual schedule as if nothing had happened.

However, I'm a little concerned about the hype over this next book from Jonathan but I'm still looking forward to it.

Regards, Jon
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Hi Jeff.

There is no known suspect where we know their daily or hourly comings and goings sufficiently to eliminate them, or incriminate them. So how does that reflect badly on Druitt?

Regards, Jon
                        Albert Victor? We know his coming and goings at the time?
                        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Hi Jeff.

I'm sure you can recall any number of serial killers who committed a crime one hour, and then the next adopted their usual schedule as if nothing had happened.

However, I'm a little concerned about the hype over this next book from Jonathan but I'm still looking forward to it.

Regards, Jon
                          Hi Wickerman,

I wasn't making a relative comparison, rather an absolute one - I don't think the evidence against Druitt is all that strong. The information we have on Druitt doesn't include anything that directly ties him to the area, etc. While the MM brings in his name, if not for that one mention, there would be nothing to connect him. That doesn't mean he can't be JtR of course, it just means the argument for him being so is based upon making inferences starting from quite distant bits of known evidence. And yes, as I say, his cricket schedule doesn't preclude him, but it narrows the window quite substantially, and without something more substantial than it remains possible, the narrower that window gets the more strained that argument becomes (strained, though, doesn't mean it's ruled him out).

To be fair, the evidence we have though isn't all that strong for any suspect. So relatively speaking he's a good one (certainly better than the Royals, or Lewis Carrol, etc).

That's why a book with new information on Druitt is, I think, a great thing. We've hashed over all the existing material pretty thoroughly, and a lot of hypotheses have been put up. Hopefully, the new information will be sufficient to start putting some of those ideas to the test, to see if any of the ideas that are possibilities now become ruled out when new evidence is added to the mix. That, to me, is why it is good to hypothesize beyond existing data to some extent, provided one is willing to go "oops, guessed wrong" when new evidence turns up that runs counter to that hypothesis. That latter bit is hard, though, as we often like our creative musings to the point they can be hard to let go.

- Jeff

Comment

My money is on JH turning his series of Druitt books into a trilogy...

Comment

I started this book last night and read roughly a third of it, enjoying it greatly; the publisher is Amberley, who a few years back came out with Richard Whittington-Egan’s final masterpiece, Jack the Ripper: the Definitive Casebook, and this is of the same production quality--beautifully produced, with good paper and photographs, including a new image of M.J.D, as well as those of many other people associated with his story. I’ll avoid giving away any “spoilers,” but will just point out that the authors Jonathan Hainsworth and Christine Ward-Agius do a fine job in ‘fleshing out’ M.J.D.’s wider social circle in Dorset, Oxford, and London—and an interesting cast of characters they are, including my favorite, Colonel Majendie. Although I’ve been a keen student of Druitt for many years, I’m already finding new angles to study and ponder. To give one example, there is a letter from MJD where he refers to his mother; he makes what was evidently meant to have been a humorous rebuke, but one can’t help sensing a tension simmering below the surface, for by now she was already descending into madness. I’m also particularly grateful that the authors have unapologetically formed a hypothesis and set out to prove it. As far as I am concerned, so-called ‘objective’ studies of the Whitechapel Murders, with few exceptions, have become repetitive and stale; no detective has ever solved a case without having a suspect…so go bold or don’t go at all. The purpose, we are told by the authors, is to ‘reverse engineer’ the extant historical record in order to recover what the case against Druitt may have been. Fair enough. There are also many end notes and citations for those who wish to chase down the relevant sources and conduct further research--something that is sometimes lacking in other books.

I’ll read more tonight, but so far it looks like a valuable resource for those interested in the genuine police suspects, and for those who don’t mind responsible theorizing. Read it and you’ll be back in the thick of the scrimmage!

Comment

Working...
                              X