New Book coming out with Druitt as JtR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
    I started this book last night and read roughly a third of it, enjoying it greatly; the publisher is Amberley, who a few years back came out with Richard Whittington-Egan’s final masterpiece, Jack the Ripper: the Definitive Casebook, and this is of the same production quality--beautifully produced, with good paper and photographs, including a new image of M.J.D, as well as those of many other people associated with his story. I’ll avoid giving away any “spoilers,” but will just point out that the authors Jonathan Hainsworth and Christine Ward-Agius do a fine job in ‘fleshing out’ M.J.D.’s wider social circle in Dorset, Oxford, and London—and an interesting cast of characters they are, including my favorite, Colonel Majendie. Although I’ve been a keen student of Druitt for many years, I’m already finding new angles to study and ponder. To give one example, there is a letter from MJD where he refers to his mother; he makes what was evidently meant to have been a humorous rebuke, but one can’t help sensing a tension simmering below the surface, for by now she was already descending into madness. I’m also particularly grateful that the authors have unapologetically formed a hypothesis and set out to prove it. As far as I am concerned, so-called ‘objective’ studies of the Whitechapel Murders, with few exceptions, have become repetitive and stale; no detective has ever solved a case without having a suspect…so go bold or don’t go at all. The purpose, we are told by the authors, is to ‘reverse engineer’ the extant historical record in order to recover what the case against Druitt may have been. Fair enough. There are also many end notes and citations for those who wish to chase down the relevant sources and conduct further research--something that is sometimes lacking in other books.

I’ll read more tonight, but so far it looks like a valuable resource for those interested in the genuine police suspects, and for those who don’t mind responsible theorizing. Read it and you’ll be back in the thick of the scrimmage!
    I’m certainly looking forward to this one Roger. I’m waiting for mine to turn up. Expecting howls of anguish from those that dismiss Druitt out of hand though.
    Regards

Herlock

“ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
    “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
    “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
    “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
    “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

Comment

Is it out already? I ordered mine ages ago, no benefit in buying in early!
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

It's not released in NZ until mid March

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I’m certainly looking forward to this one Roger. I’m waiting for mine to turn up. Expecting howls of anguish from those that dismiss Druitt out of hand though.
          Less howls of anguish, more tears of laughter.
          Write something...

Comment

I am currently reading The Escape of Jack The Ripper and TBH am a bit disappointed. I had quite high hopes for this book, but it's credibility is undermined by strange little mistakes which one would have expected to have been weeded out prior to publication.

Liz Stride was found with cashew nuts in her hand and famed actor HENRY Mansfield was starring in a production of Jekyll and Hyde at the time of the WCM's, to name but two off the top of my head.

The photos are great and it's fascinating to see a previously unpublished picture of Montie, but I'm kinda getting distracted from the main thrust of the argument by these piffling inaccuracies.

Has anyone else found this or is the current enforced isolation turning me into a terrible pedant???

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
              Has anyone else found this or is the current enforced isolation turning me into a terrible pedant???
              I can't answer that, Ms. Diddles, but I do know that I am going stir crazy in my own padded cell.

Hainsworth and Ward-Agius's book is not about the murders per se (thank gawd) but about police opinion, so the odd detail here and there didn't bother me. I was just eternally grateful that a book about Druitt didn't mention the J. K. Stephen or Prince Eddy connection, like those written in the 70s or 80s always seemed to do!

I'll have more to say about the book eventually, but I think its strength is in the detail it gives to Druitt's wider circle of acquaintances, as well as exploring the oddly insistent claims of Sims and Macnaghten. Druitt, to me, is the most mysterious of suspects. I can understand the skepticism from an empirical point of view (the authors even acknowledge this) but the weird manipulations of Macnagahten require explanation. At least to me they do.

I remember reading in Martin Fido's excellent book about David Cohen that Cavendish and Burke were assassinated by gunfire in Phoenix Park, Dublin. I cringed (because they had been hacked to death with surgical knives), but it didn't prevent me from enjoying Martin's otherwise complex arguments in favor of Anderson's suspect. There's such a wealth of material out there, that it is difficult not to stumble on occasion. "Suspect driven books" are widely considered to be the anathema of Ripper studies, but, personally, my allegiance is to those who are trying to solve the case.

Finally, although this is neither here, nor there, I find that QiGong and gardening are helping me cope with the covid-19 quarantine. At least I haven't killed anything yet, other than a couple of cucumber plants. Cheers.
              Last edited by rjpalmer; 04-14-2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Hi RJP!

Thanks for the response.

You make some interesting and valid points.

There is certainly a possibility that I became so distracted by these minor inaccuracies that I lost confidence in the narrative and chucked the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak!

I will keep an open mind until I finish the book.

I was hugely impressed by Rob House's Koz book which struck me as well researched and quite impartial / objective. Martin Fido's Cohen book is a classic and, somewhat controversially, I must admit to having a soft spot for Bruce Robinson's "They All Love Jack". I enjoyed the anger and righteous outrage with which he writes, although whether I accept his conclusion is another matter....!

There's definitely a place for suspect books in any Ripper library. Some are much better researched and presented than others but yeah, I too salute anyone who has the commitment (and balls of steel) to nail their colours to the post!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                  Hi RJP!

Thanks for the response.

You make some interesting and valid points.

There is certainly a possibility that I became so distracted by these minor inaccuracies that I lost confidence in the narrative and chucked the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak!

I will keep an open mind until I finish the book.

I was hugely impressed by Rob House's Koz book which struck me as well researched and quite impartial / objective. Martin Fido's Cohen book is a classic and, somewhat controversially, I must admit to having a soft spot for Bruce Robinson's "They All Love Jack". I enjoyed the anger and righteous outrage with which he writes, although whether I accept his conclusion is another matter....!

There's definitely a place for suspect books in any Ripper library. Some are much better researched and presented than others but yeah, I too salute anyone who has the commitment (and balls of steel) to nail their colours to the post!

hi Diddles
                  Yes-Rob Houses book is one of the best "suspect" books i have read also.

Does anyone know if Hainsworths druitt book is available in the states yet?

also whats the best hutch suspect book?
                  "Is all that we see or seem
                  but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                  quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi Diddles
                    Yes-Rob Houses book is one of the best "suspect" books i have read also.

Does anyone know if Hainsworths druitt book is available in the states yet?

also whats the best hutch suspect bok?
                    Hi Abby!

From what I can see online it looks like it is indeed available in the US.

I'd be interested to know what you think of it when you've read it.

I know you described the author as a good dude (or similar) in a previous post, which mIts getting covered just put in amount for number of bedroomsakes me feel a bit guilty about being so critical!

Comment

Sorry! Ive no idea what happened with that last post.

It looks like I've accidentally done a cut & paste job in the middle of the last paragraph?!?!

It is meant to read:

I know you described the author as a good dude (or similar) in a previous post, which makes me feel a bit guilty about being so critical!

Time to accept that I do actually need glasses.....

Comment

Working...
                      X