No announcement yet.

Let’s Talk About Plagiarism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the "etc, etc"...I need respect, I have been deemed worthy and I don't get into too much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      I'm in the "etc, etc"...I need respect, I have been deemed worthy and I don't get into too much trouble.
      I deliberately didn’t name those on the short list for a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Comment

You can do it, Scott, if you only wate a whil longer :

Spike Milligan's funny acceptance speech for his lifetime achievement award at the British Comedy Awards 1994. He refers to the Prince of Wales as a grovelli...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          You can do it, Scott, if you only wate a whil longer :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkOAUht3G5o
          Scott,

Just don’t stand on a burning deck for too long.

Comment

All this goes over my head. I have more in common with the female popular historians!

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
              All this goes over my head. I have more in common with the female popular historians!
              Heaven forfend!

The boy stood on the burning deck,
              Whence all but he had fled - the twit! (Milligan)

Fortunately the deck was outside a house called Dawes Court which, unrecorded, survived the (nothing special) fire of London. (Rubenhold)
              Last edited by MrBarnett; 10-18-2019, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                I mentioned Drew Gray only because I was thinking of him and how he seems to envision a day when Ripper researcher’s work is respected, valued and taken seriously by those relevant disciplines outside of our field...while in reality there are those inside of our field, who’ve been around here for a long time, who don’t even respect them.
                It could be that Drew’s delusional and I hope against hope. I’m beginning to think so.

JM
                You’re interviewing him soon, aren’t you?

Perhaps you can ask him to elaborate on the history of Harrison, Barber.

Who was Harrison, who was Barber? He must know that, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

You’re interviewing him soon, aren’t you?

Perhaps you can ask him to elaborate on the history of Harrison, Barber.

Who was Harrison, who was Barber? He must know that, at least.

very disapointing book. especially from a so called acadamian. sorry. not impressed. wheres the original research?and i dont know what the definition of a ripperologist is but it aint drew grey or mei trow thats for sure. your average casebooker is more a ripperolgist IMHO.
                  anyone can write a " book".

the definitive work on the torsos has yet to be written. i await fishermans and or eds..
                  Last edited by Abby Normal; 10-19-2019, 04:41 AM.

Comment

And there we have it.

Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I'd sooner have a disappointing book than a plagiarized one, tho (getting back to the point and away from the strange obsession with Drew...)

Comment

It isn't the first time a member of the message boards writing on the Ripper crimes has been outed for plagiarism but the author in that case, whose work was proven to be lifted from other sources without attribution, is still around and writing books. Other than condemn it, what can we do?
                        Last edited by Debra A; 10-19-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Trevor’s gone to self-publishing his books now. Whether that’s as a result of what happened with his last book or not I don’t know. That may be the route Cobb has to go in the future.
                          If I recall correctly there were third party attacks on Mark for exposing the plagiarism in The Evil Within trying to make him out to be the bad guy and Mark just dealt with one single chapter. I discovered more instances of plagiarism in Trevor’s Sutcliffe chapter while looking at the Keith Stride stuff. Both Marriott and Stride used the same online source and so I had to first confirm with Trevor that he wasn’t Stride. Lol.

Strange world we live in.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                            It isn't the first time a member of the message boards writing on the Ripper crimes has been outed for plagiarism but the author in that case, whose work was proven to be lifted from other sources without attribution, is still around and writing books. Other than condemn it, what can we do?
                            Yes, as a 'community' we can condemn, and (hopefully) those plagiarized would consider legal action where appropriate? What we shouldn't do is 'keep it in house', 'sort it out privately' or give it a sort of acceptance by not talking about it publicly

Comment

Several years ago there was an entire ebook published and sold that copied all of its content off of Casebook. I can’t remember the name of it. Which brings me to ask this question. If an author cites contemporary newspaper articles in their book that they actually found in the Casebook Press Reports section...should the author cite the Casebook online source or is it OK for them to simply cite the original newspaper? Citing only the newspaper gives the impression to the reader that they did “research” when in actuality they were just using the search engine in the Press Reports.
                              A hypothetical question as I don’t have a specific example in mind...

JM
                              Last edited by jmenges; 10-19-2019, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post

Yes, as a 'community' we can condemn, and (hopefully) those plagiarized would consider legal action where appropriate? What we shouldn't do is 'keep it in house', 'sort it out privately' or give it a sort of acceptance by not talking about it publicly
                                What makes copying from an online source like the Casebook wiki or somewhere else on the boards easier to get away with is that it’s entirely written by volunteers who might not be so inclined to have or spend the resources to pursue a claim for something they provided to the public for free. Nevertheless their time has a value and they retain ownership over what they’ve contributed.

JM
                                Last edited by jmenges; 10-19-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X