No announcement yet.

What was your first Ripper book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first exposure to the Ripper (apart from the wonderful old movie, where he gets squashed by the elevator at the end) was Donald Rumbelow's book. My mother got that as a book of the month sometime in '75 or '76. I've still got that original copy. Like Booth, I was 15 or so at the time, and the photo of Mary Kelly was the most shocking thing I had ever seen in my life. She looked as though she'd been blown to pieces by a bomb, yet someone did that deliberately, taking their time in the wee hours of the morning, while all around just a few feet away ordinary people went about their lives, unsuspecting. The sheer creepiness of that, along with the similar uncanniness of the other murders (especially Chapman's) taking place right under people's noses is what really hooked me, and continues to fascinate.

-Ginger
    - Ginger

Comment

"The Famous Five in Whitechapel". Twas great. They enjoyed dossing and Timmy used to follow Timothy Donovan everywhere.

Comment

David, I feel the mention of the ginger beer bottle may be leading you astray. However, if you wish to continue this line of research, I recommend "Five On Killing Island."

Comment

Thanks Robert, looking forward to it.

Comment

The Final Solution - Stephen Knight

Crazy theories, but so intriguing, beguiling - couldn't make it up (except someone did). A great story though, quite skillfully written, if frustrating to the JTR scholar trying to fight through the fog. Instilled me with a fascintation for the subject though, read it when I was 15 years old, it was spring. I spent the whole summer spending pocket money on JTR books, read everything I could get hold of.

Comment

I think my first book was (besides various fictional encounters between JtR abd Sherlock Holmes that is!) was Jack the Ripper in Fact and Fiction At present I am reading The Women of Whitechapel and Jack the Ripper by Paul West. I have been hitting used bookstores and amazon kindle this past two months, buying up every book on JtR I can afford and reading them as they come in. Still have quite a few that are presently being shipped. I read them in any order that they come in.

Always liked Montague John Druitt for the crimes, but I have to admit that little evidence still exists, if it ever did, to solidify Druitt as the Ripper.

Totally disbelieve:
              Prince Eddy
              Doctor Thomas Neill Cream
              William Sickert
              Francis Tumblety
              Lewis Carroll
              Sir William Withey Gull
              And the questions always linger, no real answer in sight

Comment

My first awareness of JtR was in the mid-60s, around 1965 I'd guess, when i saw a trailer for the 1959 film which was on at a local flea pit cinema. It terrified me. I vaguely recall TV documentaries of the period too.

My first book was a paperback of Donald McCormick's "The Identity of JtR" bought around 1968. McCormick is now very much discredited in content and in his theory (Pedachenko).

In around 1972/3, I started to read seriously about the case, when I looked at Odell's first book, and some of the others available around the time, including Leonard Matters' book, in the National Library of Wales. Unbeknownst to me, at the time, I was literally sitting under the statue of the man now claimed to be Uncle Jack ! I might have perused William Stewart at that time too.

I retain an affection for Matters' book - written at a time when the sites were pretty much all unchanged (save I think Berners St) and some of the people living in the houses might have been the same as in 1888. I don't believe his theory (Dr Stanley), but the first section of the book is first-rate.

Phil H

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  Blimey Doug,

A long, forgotten tome. I too have Wilsons & Odells.

Thanks for taking me down memory lane.

Monty
                  "Summing Up & Verdict" for me too in 1987
                  Just before centenary fever started.
                  I still think it's a great read.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                    Hello RedB

400 pages for a man who was in France at the time of the murders... Sickert has no criminal records but is accused (at least strongly suspected) of having committed 30 or 40 murders. Millions invested and she only read the Times (hence PC Phail).

Aaaarfff, how can we "hunt" JtR with DNA ? Any sample handy ?
                    I admit, though, that she's been clever on one point : the bayonet suggested in the Tabram case is utterly ridiculous.
                    Shouldn't that be "Tabran" ?
                    I'm afraid that pretty much put me off the book immediately.

Comment

I think my first book was (besides various fictional encounters between JtR abd Sherlock Holmes that is!) was Jack the Ripper in Fact and Fiction
                      Hi Raven...yes that was one of my early ones too (can't remember if it was the first though)...I used to pick up a lot of cheap second-hand paperbacks in batches, and it was probably from one of those...it's still a very good read even today...

I seem to remember reading the Knight book too, though that I seem to have lost years ago!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Well, if you haven't read The Women of Whitechapel and Jack the Ripper let me caution you. It's another "Royal Conspiracy" William Sickert and Doctor Gull, assisted by the coachman John Netley. Masonic rituals are explained, and explained, and explained. I note that he has written four volumes of criticism called Sheer Fiction. Would be an excellent alternate title for this book.
                        And the questions always linger, no real answer in sight

Comment

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the first book I read but I remember it began with a chapter called ''The Ripper's world" and a photograph of Queen Victoria and all her children around her. It said that Mary Kelly was pregnant and it contained a whole host of other errors. However I am glad I read it as I wouldnt have developed an interest in JtR otherwise.

The book I would recommend that everyone reads is Jack the Ripper: the complete history (Philip Sugden). It has all the facts and I looked at the JtR case in a whole new light after that. It's a very reliable source of info.

Comment

A used copy of Evans and Skinner's The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion was my first exposure to the history of the White Chapel murders.

Many books, documentaries, and articles later I am still learning about these heinous unsolved murders as well as the era that they were committed in.
                            Last edited by Mutt; 09-15-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I have very few other than the sourcebook. First was Paley's book on Barnett, which I bought because I wanted background info on Barnett and it seemed like an easy way to get it.

Still got it somewhere I think. I have Bob Hinton's book somewhere as well (at least I think so) which I bought for similar reasons.

Comment

I think mine was the Cullen Book ... Autumn of Terror. Great book despite the inaccuracies.

Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                                X