What was your first Ripper book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your first Ripper book?

I must bashfully admit that my first Ripper book was the notorious (on this forum at least) Prince Jack. And I will proudly admit that I didn't buy into the thery at all. I read it in high school, and my history teacher suggested doing a book report on it. I don't think he knew what he was getting into because much of the report consisted of me tearing apart the "evidence" set forth. It's been a while since I read it, but I seem to rememberthat a lot of it consisted of frantic hand waving. (Eddy wasn't in town on that day. Well then, that wasn't a Ripper murder of course!) My one-star review of the book is the sole review on Amazon, and I'm surprised there aren't any other. I'm also surprised that it has received eight positive votes -- negative reviews often get bad ratings from people who liked the book. Surely it has some fans somewhere?...

Luckily I found other books on the topic and learned, you know, actual facts and such -- or at least better theories. I wish I could remember the books that I read later, but all that I remember is that I liked and respected them more.

I wonder if a lot of people have started with a similar book and then gone on to learn more despite the book. Or if some became interested because, like me, they read a dodgy book on the murders, were not impressed, and sought out better sources.

I also wonder, on the other hand, if I would have been better off starting with a general book on the murders. After Prince Jack, I feel as if I had to "relearn" some of the details. I'd like to know.how other members reacted to their first Ripper book, good or bad or mediocre.

I also apologize for any errors as I amtyping this on my Nook Color. Phew!

My first was Donald Rumbelow's Complete Jack the Ripper in the late 1970s. At the time, it was probably the best that was out and wasn't published to tout a particular suspect. It was also my second Ripper book because a person I loaned the first copy too moved away without returning it and I had to go out and purchase a replacement.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      My first was Donald Rumbelow's Complete Jack the Ripper in the late 1970s.
      Same here.

Comment

Paley. I still have this gut-feeling that Barnett should have been a contemporary suspect, but today he's pretty much unresearchable in the criminal sense. Too late. :-(
        My second Ripperological book was Sugden, then The Ultimate.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

McCormick, "The Identity of JtR". Bought in Boots (who then sold books) with my pocket money. My current copy is an Arrow Books p/back published 1970, but I'm certain I had a previous copy that I must have replaced during my student days.

I had first seen the trailer for the 1959 film (JtR) in the early 60s and it scared me to death - I then read whatever newspaper articles, TV Times pieces etc, until I found an actual book.

The four I used first when I started serious study - sitting right under the statue of "Uncle Jack" in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth c 1972, were Stewart, Odell, Matters and Cullen.

Phil

Comment

Rumbelow for me too - in Swedish translation! Picked up at a booksale many, many years ago. After that, it was Martin Fidos book.
            I still hold both very high in regard.

The best,
            Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              My first was Donald Rumbelow's Complete Jack the Ripper in the late 1970s. At the time, it was probably the best that was out and wasn't published to tout a particular suspect. It was also my second Ripper book because a person I loaned the first copy too moved away without returning it and I had to go out and purchase a replacement.
              Me too. Still a good read too.

Comment

The American version of Tom Cullen's book, When London Walked in Terror. It was at my local library and the title and the illustrations on the cover caught the eye of an impressionable 14 year old. Despite its inaccuracies and Cullen's political agenda, it was riveting and captivating. Cullen was a brilliant writer.

Oh, and welcome to Casebook, Critteranne...I like the name.
                Best Wishes,
                Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Robin Odell's JtR in Fact and Fiction about 1965. Odell is, for my money, still one of the best writers in the business.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                    Robin Odell's JtR in Fact and Fiction about 1965. Odell is, for my money, still one of the best writers in the business.
                    Hello Grave,

We coincide again. Great minds... Robin Odell's book on the Ripper was my first and, for quite a few years, my only book on the Ripper. I was fortunate enough to get my copy signed by Mr Odell many years later. After him, there were articles by Colin Wilson, Tom Cullen's Autumn of Terror, Don Rumbelow's Complete JTR and, after him, the deluge: the outstanding, the good and the barely appropriate. But there is something to be gleaned from most of them.

Cheers
                    Eduardo
                    Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
                    Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

I think it was probably the dreaded Diary...

B.
                      Bailey
                      Wellington, New Zealand
                      hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                      www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

We coincide even more than you think, Eduardo. After Odell's book, I read Wilson's Ritual in the Dark and then Cullen and then Rumbelow.

Unfortunately, I'm not as clever as you. I knew that Odell would be at the last Baltimore conference but, somehow, neglected to take my copy of his book along with me. I'm still kicking myself. (Although, I did get a couple of nice copies of his Ripperology signed by him, and Rumbelow on the introduction.)

Comment

Hi to all,

Wow, good question! I am afraid to say that I, in all honesty, cannot remember which was the first book on JTR that I ever read. I do though, most distinctly, remember the first time that I ever laid eyes on the awful photograph of what remained of Mary Kelly, after JTR had finished with her. I also remember getting very little sleep and suffering from terrible nightmares that night. I think that it was a rather large copy of the classic MJK photo that I saw, featured in one of those "Murder Casebook" type magazine. The sort that they used to advertise on TV as "Week by week building into a comprehensive encyclopedia of...." whatever the particular magazine happened about, i.e. Warplanes, Tanks, Misogynistic murders, Uniforms and of the Third Reich etc. etc!!!

Please try to keep in mind that that for myself, and for many of my friends/contemporaries growing up in Leeds at the time, the whole JTR case was, back then, seen largely through the prism of the "Yorkshire Ripper" murders, which left an indelible impression, to put it mildly, on almost all of our lives. Later, I think that it was probably Don Rumbelow's Complete JTR, then the works of SPE became essential reading, then "The Dairy" of course and the first edition of the A to Z.

Best wishes,
                          Zodiac.
                          And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                          With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                          And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Dan Farson's book in the early 70s. I still have it. At the time, with my being unplugged from the Ripper world, I imagined that he'd probably solved the case. He did do a revised edition a bit later, but I didn't have the money to buy the same book twice (and still don't).

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Dan Farson's book in the early 70s. I still have it. At the time, with my being unplugged from the Ripper world, I imagined that he'd probably solved the case. He did do a revised edition a bit later, but I didn't have the money to buy the same book twice (and still don't).
                              Hello Robert,

Again, we have something in common, as this was my first book on the subject as well. I admit, however, to saying after having read it .."good story, very little proof".. it did get me hunting around for other books on the subject though.

best wishes

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                              Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                              X