Any plausible suspect books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any plausible suspect books?

Hi everyone. While I myself don't put much stock in any suspect-based Ripper books (like many of you I prefer fact-based research books on the subject), I was wondering if any of you consider any books that put forward a suspect to not be so ridiculous and may even be plausible? Or, if any of you know any that you found entertaining.
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Books on Cutbush, Bury, Kelly and Hutch are worth reading, as will certainly be that on Kosminski from Rob.
    To some extent, Sugden and Begg are also suspect-based, at least some chapters.

Amitiés,
    David

Comment

David, in my view, is pretty much on the money with his suggestions. If you want to look at suspect books, the ones that I found to be at least reasonably plausible and entertaining were:

James Tully, The Secret of Prisoner 1167 (James Kelly)
      Bruce Paley, JtR: The Simple Truth (Joseph Barnett)
      William Beadle, JtR: Anatomy of a Myth (William Bury)
      Bob Hinton, From Hell: The JtR Mystery (George Hutchinson), and
      Martin Fido, The Crimes, Detection and Death of JtR (Nathan Kaminsky)

Comment

I see. Thank you.

What about R. Michael Gordon's books on Klosowski/Chapman?
        I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Well, Gordon is certainly enthusiastic about his subject but I find his books neither plausible nor very readable.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
            David, in my view, is pretty much on the money with his suggestions. If you want to look at suspect books, the ones that I found to be at least reasonably plausible and entertaining were:

James Tully, The Secret of Prisoner 1167 (James Kelly)
            Bruce Paley, JtR: The Simple Truth (Joseph Barnett)
            William Beadle, JtR: Anatomy of a Myth (William Bury)
            Bob Hinton, From Hell: The JtR Mystery (George Hutchinson), and
            Martin Fido, The Crimes, Detection and Death of JtR (Nathan Kaminsky)
            Hello GM,

I share your taste, and indeed had Tully and Beadle in mind, too. I haven't read Martin Fido's essay, and unfortunately read Bob Hinton only once, years ago.
            I may find Paley interesting, but his arguments lookseem particularly weak.

In fact, the more I read a suspect-based book, the less I find it plausible.
            They have a limited life expectancy. That makes them lovable, whatever their flaws...

Must also say I appreciate Ap Wolf portrait of Cutbush, although, imo, it hasn't surpassed the Sun articles - quite impressive and atmospheric, with something of a B-movie.

Amitiés GM and JTRS,
            David
            Last edited by DVV; 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Actually, I may have been a little too hard on Gordon. His first book, Alias Jack the Ripper: Beyond the Usual Whitechapel Suspects, isn't all that bad. It's in his later books that his arguments become rather thin and repetitious.

Comment

As far as "suspect" books go, it has to be Martin Fido and Garry Wroe for me. They are also very good reads.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I would highly recommend The Secret of Prisoner 1167 by James Tully and I also find Gordon's books on Klosowski very good.

The ones I didn't find very convincing was Evans/Gainey's Tumblety book, the Lewis Carroll book and Patsy's Sickert book. I also find any books on Barnett are always non-starters but that is just me personally
                  Best regards,
                  Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    As far as "suspect" books go, it has to be Martin Fido and Garry Wroe for me. They are also very good reads.
                    I should have added that those are the ones in which I've found the most compelling arguments. I've enjoyed other suspect-based books as well, notably those by Beadle, Tully, Evans/Gainey and Melvin Harris... not that I was convinced at their suspects' viability.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Uncle Jack.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	658356

Just a screenshot, not a suggestion.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Don't forget that many books are decidedly 'suspect'!

Comment

I thought Stewart and Neil's book The Lodger (or, as it is known here in the States. Jack the Ripper: First American Serial Killer) would be considered a good "suspect" book. Would everyone agree?

Comment

Yes I agree. And it can be used for factual research.

One of my favorites is Euan Mcpherson's The Trial of Jack the Ripper. I like the format. The first half is the story of William Bury and his wife Ellen. The second half covers the Whitechapel Murders.

Roy
                            Sink the Bismark

Comment

Yes I forgot to mention that is probably best to avoid the book whose title I share my username with!!
                              Best regards,
                              Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Working...
                              X