The Victims of Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Victims of Jack the Ripper

A thread for discussion, reviews and questions on Jack the Rippers, Victims, Neal Stubbings Sheldon.
    Regards Mike

Another great book and Neal Stubbins Sheldon has presented a worthwile addition to any ripper bookcase.

It's strengths lie in the fact that he has done some solid research into the C5 victims, their families and their descendants.

There are some wonderful pictures of the victims in life, with the exception of MJK, and some photo's of the victims decendants now.

One of the best photos in the book is a picture of Eddowes family stood on the spot in Mitre Square were she was found dead.

A great book, not overly long, with hard core research and some fantstic pictures.

Mike
    Regards Mike

Comment

Here is a link for those wishing to buy this book,

Regards

Mike
      Regards Mike

Comment

One of the best JTR books to emerge in the last few years. Only for the hardcore enthusiasts, but it promises much and delivers. It is also a very 'worthy' item, bringing the focus back onto the women as people rather than corpses.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
          There are some wonderful pictures of the victims in life, with the exception of MJK
          Actually, the only photo of a victim in life is the one of Annie Chapman.

[ATTACH]31[/ATTACH]

Monty wrote a review of this book that you can see here.

Dan Norder
          Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
          Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Actually, now that I think about it, I still have some autographed copies of this book available for sale. If you are in America and you're interested in getting a signed copy, drop me a line at dannorder@gmail.com for more information.

If you are in Europe or elsewhere you can get signed copies through Neal and probably Loretta Lay as well. I don't recall if the ones at Murder One bookstore were autographed or not, but I know they had a shipment of these before it was even officially launched at the 2007 Ripper conference in Wolverhampton and most likely still have some.

If you'd like to order it through just about any bookstore, the ISBN code is: 0978911296 (or ISBN-13: 978-0978911294). That should work at an online shop or through special order at your favorite local bookstore as well.

Dan Norder
            Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
            Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Hey Dan,

I have a feeling that Murder One's were signed. I will ask Neal or tell him you were asking

Jen
              “be just and fear not”

Comment

This book can now only be obtained from me at my new address:

Or from other favoured sellers such as Loretta Lay.

Dan Norder is no longer an approved seller of the book or any of Dan Norder's related companies.
                Last edited by Admin; 01-15-2009, 03:30 PM. Reason: Removed home address at request of poster.

Comment

Originally posted by Neal Shelden View Post
                  This book can now only be obtained from me at my new address:

Think that puts you about 3 miles from me........
                  Steve
                  Last edited by Admin; 01-15-2009, 03:29 PM. Reason: Removed home address at request of poster.

Comment

People can contact me for a copy of the book at:

silic1st1m@hotmail.com

Comment

I was fortunate to get my copy last year and I was very impressed, so much so that it inspired me to seek out descendants of the people I am researching. This year I will be meeting with a descendant of the Dawber family, who where descendants of Robert D'Onston Stephenson's mother's side of the family.

I have also made contact with other Dawber family members online, and hope to reunite all sides of the family.

It's a great book, and obviously a lot of hard graft has gone into it, anyone who doesn't have it needs to obtain a copy now!
                      Regards Mike

Comment

I definitely learned more about some of the victims in Shelden's book than in any other Ripper book before or since. In particular I think Catherine Eddowes is the "star" of the book, and it was fascinating to see the photos of her descendants. If anyone who's seen the mortuary photos of her mutilated face would like to get an idea what that face would have looked like in life, I think she lives on in the visage of her great granddaughter Catherine Sarah Hall shown on pages 87 & 88.

Comment

Kensei

I had the pleasure of meeting 2 lovely, elderly decendants of Kate at the last conf. Didnt realise who they were intially but once I did the resemblance was instant. The asked for my autograph, the first to do so. Then again, Ive only done that twice. Eduardo Zinna has the tother.
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

It is indeed a great book (I have a couple of grammatical issues which suggest a better editor might have been required, but that's nitpicking) and I cannot applaud Mr Shelden enough for the work he's put in and the results he got, even outside of the wedding pic. I'm particularly fond of the shot of the female Eddowes descendents standing on the spot in Mitre Square, which oddly enough I find both extremely touching and quite creepy at the same time

B.
                            Bailey
                            Wellington, New Zealand
                            hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                            www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Yes, indeed, a great book and one that belongs in everyone's Ripper library. And for those of you who are not subscribers and may have missed it, Neal continued his research into the victims and their families with two articles this fall in Ripperologist'sspecial four-issue special series "The Autumn of Terror--120 Years." In Ripperologist 95 (September 2008) he contributed "Annie Chapman--Mother of Four" and for Ripperologist 96 (October 2008) he interviewed Kate Eddowes's great-great-great-granddaughter and her great-great-great-great-granddaughter in "Kate's Folks."

We can only await eagerly further research finds from Neal.

Don.
                              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Working...
                              X