Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved this book!

Hi all,
    I am a total newbie and nobody here knows me, but I found this so amazing a first book for a neophyte, it painted such a vivid picture--not knowing anything else about the literature on JtR, I felt like it is the ultimate first book to read...bravo! i am wondering if anyone has suggestions for 2nd and 3rd books to read after Sugden (A to Z sounds like a reference book which doesn't interest me so much at this point but perhaps that one?)
    Thanks in advance

Comment

fido

Hello Iago. You might have a go at Martin Fido: "The Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper."

There are also some excellent books by Stewart Evans and Trevor Marriott.

Enjoy!

The best.
      LC

Comment

Thanks

Thanks very much!

Comment

Iago,

All the really smart people around here are currently in a pub in the East End. In their absence, I offer some advice: pay careful attention to your sources of information. Certainly anything by Evans is excellent. The quality of Marriott's work, on the other hand, is, sometimes, questioned. Fido is a talented writer, and historically of interest, but he's not a major player at the moment. You might want to try Paul Begg's Jack the Ripper: The Facts, or Donald Rumbelow's The Complete Jack the Ripper. Both are excellent.
          Last edited by The Grave Maurice; 10-25-2009, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Maurice

I am thinking of stocking up on a few, given that I tore through Sugden--still in awe of how good it was

Comment

Marriott's book is good. He's come up with far the best suspect. Stride is definitely not a Ripper victim.
              Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
              Iago,

All the really smart people around here are currently in a pub in the East End. In their absence, I offer some advice: pay careful attention to your sources of information. Certainly anything by Evans is excellent. The quality of Marriott's work, on the other hand, is, sometimes, questioned. Fido is a talented writer, and historically of interest, but he's not a major player at the moment. You might want to try Paul Begg's Jack the Ripper: The Facts, or Donald Rumbelow's The Complete Jack the Ripper. Both are excellent.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Enough about the reading and more about the pub please! Respectfully Dave
                We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Thanks, Kathy

I am getting the feeling I will be reading any and all over the next year...will look up which book is Marriott.

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                    ...more about the pub please!
                    Here you go, mate.

Comment

'JTR The 21st century investigation' by Trevor Marriott (2007)

Originally posted by Iago Galdston View Post
                      I am getting the feeling I will be reading any and all over the next year...will look up which book is Marriott.
                      'Jack the Ripper The 21st century investigation' by Trevor Marriott (2007)

Comment

[QUOTE=Kathy L;102870]'Jack the Ripper The 21st century investigation' by Trevor Marriott (2007)

Comment

I think book store workers must cringe when they see me coming. I always seem to ask for a book that they don't have. LOL. They're ordering me in The complete history of Jack The Ripper. I think I sounded like an idiot when I went in there and asked if they could get "The Complete History Of Jack The Ripper" by Mike Covell It took me some time to realise that I'd taken the poster's name down. LOL. So I should have it by next week.

Comment

Mr Marriots book is well put together,but feel CF is a non starter as a suspect.But as said a decent enough read

Comment

Originally posted by Fictionnaire View Post
                              I think I sounded like an idiot when I went in there and asked if they could get "The Complete History Of Jack The Ripper" by Mike Covell It took me some time to realise that I'd taken the poster's name down. LOL. So I should have it by next week.
                              Ha ha! I like it.
                              Regards Mike

Comment

" The Complete...ly Confusing Similar JTR Book Titles"...

Does anybody familiar with the older books on JTR believe the title of this
                                new Ripper book "The Complete History Of Jack the Ripper" is a tad too
                                similar to Donald Rumbelow's classic from 1976 ( and later editions):

"The Complete Jack the Ripper" ?

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Working...
                                X