Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the worst Ripper book you've ever read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Autobiography of Jack The Ripper" by James Carnac (or probably written by Sydney Beaman). Worst read thus far.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by dantheman View Post
      "The Autobiography of Jack The Ripper" by James Carnac (or probably written by Sydney Beaman). Worst read thus far.

Dan
      Isn't that one a novel, though? As opposed to fiction presented as fact, apparently.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        Isn't that one a novel, though? As opposed to fiction presented as fact, apparently.
        It probably should be listed as a novel, however I found it under the true crime section at Barnes & Noble. Amazon has it listed under "Biographies and Memoirs".

Dan
        Last edited by dantheman; 12-17-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• One of Trevor's was so disappointing that I never purchased another Jack the Ripper book.
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• This maybe seen as a sweeping statement, but I think the worst book I've ever read on Jack the Ripper, would have to be ANY book which comes up with a theory as to who he was................

Comment

• So many to pick from

It is somewhat depressing that there are so many candidates. Personally I regard Uncle Jack as the worst due to the deliberate usage of false evidence.

Comment

• Has anyone read "The Killer Who Never Was" by Peter Turnbull?

Comment

• Harry,
                  Y

Comment

• Harry,
                    Y

Oops!
                    Clumsy fingers.

Anyway, as I was saying......Yeah I read "The Killer Who Never Was" many years ago.

My recollection is that he author never got close to making any decent kind of case for his premise.
                    I also seem to recall that there were some real factual howlers in the book, although perhaps the passage of time is wrong footing me on this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                      Harry,
                      Y

Oops!
                      Clumsy fingers.

Anyway, as I was saying......Yeah I read "The Killer Who Never Was" many years ago.

My recollection is that he author never got close to making any decent kind of case for his premise.
                      I also seem to recall that there were some real factual howlers in the book, although perhaps the passage of time is wrong footing me on this point.
                      I only ask because I read his chapter in "The Mammoth Book of JTR" where he contests that all of the Ripper murders (yes ALL of them!) were completely unconnected. Wouldn't mind reading the book for a laugh but it's stupidly expensive on Amazon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                        I only ask because I read his chapter in "The Mammoth Book of JTR" where he contests that all of the Ripper murders (yes ALL of them!) were completely unconnected. Wouldn't mind reading the book for a laugh but it's stupidly expensive on Amazon.
                        It conjures up the image of various knife wielding psychos running around Whitechapel almost bumping into one another.

Comment

• Is there anything to the Carnac thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                            It conjures up the image of various knife wielding psychos running around Whitechapel almost bumping into one another.
                            Yes, and not just any knife-wielding psychos but knife-wielding psychos with a flair for eviscerating women and removing organs. Who all strike within a few weeks of each other before disappearing into the aether.

Comment

• No, Abby, not really. It's a curious document because it was found among the possessions of the author who created a much loved kid's character called Larry the Lamb and doesn't fit in with anything that's known about the man, his interests, or his work. So did Beament write it, or did someone else? If someone else, who? It's also written from the murderer's perspective and doesn't conform with the known facts, which is a little odd as one would have expected the author to make some effort to fit the facts (although much depends on the author's intent); it is nonetheless an early work of fiction, if that is what is is, written from the murderer's perspective and furthermore makes no real effort to justify himself. He kills because he likes it. There are also many curious things about the ms itself, different authors being involved, clear evidence of serious editing, and much else.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                                No, Abby, not really. It's a curious document because it was found among the possessions of the author who created a much loved kid's character called Larry the Lamb and doesn't fit in with anything that's known about the man, his interests, or his work. So did Beament write it, or did someone else? If someone else, who? It's also written from the murderer's perspective and doesn't conform with the known facts, which is a little odd as one would have expected the author to make some effort to fit the facts (although much depends on the author's intent); it is nonetheless an early work of fiction, if that is what is is, written from the murderer's perspective and furthermore makes no real effort to justify himself. He kills because he likes it. There are also many curious things about the ms itself, different authors being involved, clear evidence of serious editing, and much else.
                                Thanks Paul!

Comment

Working...
                                X