One-Armed Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I do. There’s often a tendency to exaggerate and imagine. The recent one about Endacott was a case in point. I really pick and choose these days because most are poor. Years ago I was buying everything I could lay my hands on (or afford) One of the best ones was Helen Wojtczac’s book on Chapman. That was being sold off cheaply recently. She was advertising them herself on here. Worth a go if you haven’t already read it. She doesn’t go to hard on Chapman as the ripper but it’s a really well researched book.
    Thanks for the tip, Herlock!

I've seen threads on here that mention (former poster?) Helen's book, but I haven't actually read it.

I'll look out for it.

I haven't read the Endacott one either, but from what I'd seen on here I'm not missing much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Thanks for the tip, Herlock!

I've seen threads on here that mention (former poster?) Helen's book, but I haven't actually read it.

I'll look out for it.

I haven't read the Endacott one either, but from what I'd seen on here I'm not missing much.
      You’re not.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I don’t know about the blue dress part FK but Hyams wasn’t actually one-armed. He just had an arm injury which the author said affected his ability to get work but would have been ok for subduing and throttling a woman.
        Hi Herlock,

Have you completed this book yet, and if so, any thoughts about it? I'm especially interested in reasons for and against Hyams as a viable Ripper suspect based on the book and your assessment.

If anyone else here has read this book, I'm interested in your thoughts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

Hi Herlock,

Have you completed this book yet, and if so, any thoughts about it? I'm especially interested in reasons for and against Hyams as a viable Ripper suspect based on the book and your assessment.

If anyone else here has read this book, I'm interested in your thoughts as well.
          Hi Lewis,

I finished the book a while ago and I have to say that it was a well written and researched book. I’ve just taken the book from the shelf and jumped to the Conclusion chapter to refresh my memory.

She says the he best matches the available profiles. Insanity, epilepsy, alcoholism and pain from an injured arm. She believes that he killed Tabram, Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddowes and Kelly and that he committed ‘as many as four’ fatal attacks (including Millwood and Farmer) and that attacks on his mother and wife in 1889 which led to his incarceration (explaining the cessation) He was certainly a violent man. The kind of person that a modern day police force would have considered a person of interest and worthy of investigating further.

I’d class him as one of the interesting suspects (like Levy) and as Paul Begg says on the cover “If you have an idea of the sort of man Jack The Ripper might have been, Hyam Hyams could be it.”

Maybe further research might turn up more to strengthen the case?
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Hi Lewis,

I finished the book a while ago and I have to say that it was a well written and researched book. I’ve just taken the book from the shelf and jumped to the Conclusion chapter to refresh my memory.

She says the he best matches the available profiles. Insanity, epilepsy, alcoholism and pain from an injured arm. She believes that he killed Tabram, Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddowes and Kelly and that he committed ‘as many as four’ fatal attacks (including Millwood and Farmer) and that attacks on his mother and wife in 1889 which led to his incarceration (explaining the cessation) He was certainly a violent man. The kind of person that a modern day police force would have considered a person of interest and worthy of investigating further.

I’d class him as one of the interesting suspects (like Levy) and as Paul Begg says on the cover “If you have an idea of the sort of man Jack The Ripper might have been, Hyam Hyams could be it.”

Maybe further research might turn up more to strengthen the case?
            Thanks, Herlock!

Comment

Working...
            X