Unsolved Mysteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsolved Mysteries

There is a new Netflix Jack the Ripper documentary on the new Unsolved Mysteries (Season 4, Episode 1). Paul Begg, Richard Jones, Lindsay Siviter, and Adam Wood are featured. I found the documentary factual, however the reenactments could have been improved. They seemingly used the same set for all of the murders, most glaringly Annie Chapman being found on cobblestones.

Anyone else watch this?

I have not but thanks for letting us know.
    " Still it is an error to argue in front of your data. You find yourself insensibly twisting them round to fit your theories."
    Sherlock Holmes
    ​​​​​

Comment

Cheers Barnaby, I’ll have a look.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Yes I posted about it in another thread. It's rather 'entry level' which I believe from Facebook comments that is where it was aimed. Only mistake I spotted was they forgot the 'u' when spelling Neighbour. Apart from that very enjoyable. Was great to see four of the top big hitters not mentioning at all a certain Mr Lechmere, that made some folk Cross

Comment

It was terrible, a warmed-over hotchpotch of cliches and old tropes which added not a jot to our understanding. The presenters should have known better.​
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
            There is a new Netflix Jack the Ripper documentary on the new Unsolved Mysteries (Season 4, Episode 1). Paul Begg, Richard Jones, Lindsay Siviter, and Adam Wood are featured. I found the documentary factual, however the reenactments could have been improved. They seemingly used the same set for all of the murders, most glaringly Annie Chapman being found on cobblestones.

Anyone else watch this?

Haven't seen it yet, but planning to asap.

I find it astonishing how after all these years that there's never been a definitively accurate (as possible) documentary that provides facts and analysis without committing the cardinal sin of trying to tell us who the Ripper was rather than allow us to make up our own minds

RD
            "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

Haven't seen it yet, but planning to asap.

I find it astonishing how after all these years that there's never been a definitively accurate (as possible) documentary that provides facts and analysis without committing the cardinal sin of trying to tell us who the Ripper was rather than allow us to make up our own minds

RD
              The best that I have seen is a Youtube video by Lemmino.
              "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

The best that I have seen is a Youtube video by Lemmino.
                Ah yes! I have watched that. It was excellent and rather refreshing in comparison to a lot of other Ripper documentaries

I had forgotten about that; thankyou for reminding me of that excellent documentary

RD

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post

Anyone else watch this?

Watched it last night.

It was a generic standard documentary that worked at a basic level to introduce newcomers to the case.

Outside of which it offered nothing new in terms of insight.

I found it comical that Lechmere wasn't mentioned and bizarre that Chapman was laying on cobbles.

It lacked any significant reconstructive realism, but was well presented nonetheless.

I would love to see a more realistic gritty documentary that focuses on realism in terms of what we know, ergo, what each victim was wearing and body positions etc...

Overall it was well worth a watch, but packed any real substance in terms of potential case progression.

I particularly liked the not too subtle "please give back any authentic Ripper artifacts that you may have taken" (paraphrasing) at the very end of the documentary.

There are almost certainly pieces of potentially key physical evidence that are still out there somewhere, and so it was a nice touch to highlight the plight so to speak.

RD
                  Last edited by The Rookie Detective; 08-06-2024, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

I particularly liked the not too subtle "please give back any authentic Ripper artifacts that you may have taken" (paraphrasing) at the very end of the documentary.
                    No sir, I'm keeping the two knives I have with blood and finger prints on them, won them fair and square in a game of Texas Hold em...

Comment

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
                      Yes I posted about it in another thread. It's rather 'entry level' which I believe from Facebook comments that is where it was aimed. Only mistake I spotted was they forgot the 'u' when spelling Neighbour. Apart from that very enjoyable. Was great to see four of the top big hitters not mentioning at all a certain Mr Lechmere, that made some folk Cross

Yeah, errors with regard to locations during re-enactments have always been kind of a thing with “Unsolved Mysteries.” I don’t know if you’ve listened to the podcast “The Trail Went Cold,” which recaps old Unsolved Mysteries cases, but the host, Robin Warner, makes sure to mention it when it happens.

I enjoyed it. It was really well done and I didn’t feel like I was being gaslit or condescended to, which tends to happen with documentaries like these when someone has an agenda to push. It presented the case to a newer audience in a clear, concise manner. I think the scriptwriters did a good job of connecting the issues with poverty and lack of social safety net to why the victims had to resort to prostitution. It was emphasized a few times that the women were just trying to survive and that the killer is solely to blame for what happened. I think the call for more info, artifacts, and even scholarship will yield a lot of interesting finds in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                      X