3D Miller's Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorParts View Post
    The image lifted from dissertations shows that the area in question is about 2ft, with the headboard roughly in line with the inset of the partition door.
    So your bed can stay where it is, but the partition needs sliding over to the left.
    Agreed Major. I was actually faffing with that partition and checked this thread to see your post. I can see where I went wrong. Changing it now and should be online later tonight.

Also online tonight will be a tweak to the camera. You will now be able to go low to ankle height and as high as the ceiling to look down. Also you can zoom right in and out to get a better look and perspective on things. Only trouble is you will see some of the little 'errors' with some of the models that I'll now have to fix

Basically you will be able to reach any nook and cranny in the room. E.g I've just got my camera in the same position as the camera in MJK3.

more soon
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

having just been in the room again, it is so strange to see it from the fireplace area looking at the bed.....in fact it even occurred to me that should the killer himself had been able to see this piece of art ( which it is to me ), i do believe he himself may even be taken aback by its brilliance.....125 years may have passed but that is simply astonishingly good Richard....thanks so very much for doing this. My favourite aspect of the whitechapel CSI book are the new angles which have been created of the murder sites, for instance the roof shot looking down at Dorset Street and Millers Court.....this simply adds more again to those images. Wonderful !!

Comment

Good stuff Richard...been out a couple of days or else I'd have responded sooner...very atmospheric already...

All the best

Dave

Comment

"When police enter the room they find Mary Jane Kelly's clothes neatly folded on a chair and she is wearing a chemise. Her boots are in front of the fireplace."

Where you have the washstand, in the photo shows these "clothes"?

Put some boots in front of the fire!

Comment

Hi Richardh.

On reading the comments by others I though I should ask you, how wide is that room in your recreation?

The partition wall, down the right side of the bed, represents the width of the house.
            That wall must be at least 15 feet long. From various press articles the room size is given as either, 12' x' 12', or 12' x 15' or 15' x 15'. Although we have access to a Goads map, there is no visible scale to use as a reference for this room.

I say "at least 15 feet" because there is no way the 'house' was only 12 feet wide, this is readily discernible from the photograph of the front view of No. 26 from Dorset St.
            Therefore, at least this one dimension must be 15'.
            Whether the room was only 12' deep is debatable, but the width must be at least 15 feet, or perhaps even more.

If your recreation is less than 15' (length of partition wall) then this may be why you have trouble allowing for more space behind the head of the bed.

Now we have a bullseye lantern? I'll take another look at this.

Oh, by the way, is the bed 48" wide, similar to a three-quarter size?

Best Wishes, Jon S.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              Hi Richardh.

On reading the comments by others I though I should ask you, how wide is that room in your recreation?

The partition wall, down the right side of the bed, represents the width of the house.
              That wall must be at least 15 feet long. From various press articles the room size is given as either, 12' x' 12', or 12' x 15' or 15' x 15'. Although we have access to a Goads map, there is no visible scale to use as a reference for this room.

I say "at least 15 feet" because there is no way the 'house' was only 12 feet wide, this is readily discernible from the photograph of the front view of No. 26 from Dorset St.
              Therefore, at least this one dimension must be 15'.
              Whether the room was only 12' deep is debatable, but the width must be at least 15 feet, or perhaps even more.

If your recreation is less than 15' (length of partition wall) then this may be why you have trouble allowing for more space behind the head of the bed.

Now we have a bullseye lantern? I'll take another look at this.

Oh, by the way, is the bed 48" wide, similar to a three-quarter size?

Best Wishes, Jon S.
              Jon, The width of my room model measures about 13 ft wide (partition wall). This is the internal wall measurement. The wall thickness would be about 6 inches (a brick width?) so my model's external wall width is around 14 ft. It may be that my room is undersized But these are things to faff with

My bed is a standard width (3ft) so I need to widen it to depict a 3/4. I made the bed before I had considered it might be a 3/4.

thanks

Comment

UPDATE

We'll consider this revised model of No. 13 ver. 1.1

I've redesigned the partition wall to show more room between the bed and the partition wall with the partition door moved along the wall a bit to allow for more panels.

Added a bullseye lantern to give more light.

More camera controls have been added:

Tap R to raise toward the roof
                Tap F to lower toward the floor
                Tap Z to zoom IN and X to zoom OUT
                Press C to reset your camera view.

Comment

Bed size

Hello Richard,
                  Why do you think the bed needs to be wider? And any idea what it was made of? I think we can rule out brass, which leaves wood or iron, iron seems to have been more usual. Scouring the internet to see if I can find a similar-looking bed. No luck so far.

Best wishes,
                  C4

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                    Hello Richard,
                    Why do you think the bed needs to be wider? And any idea what it was made of? I think we can rule out brass, which leaves wood or iron, iron seems to have been more usual. Scouring the internet to see if I can find a similar-looking bed. No luck so far.

Best wishes,
                    C4
                    Hi,
                    Well, the perspective of the bed in MJK1 seems to suggest that it was wider than a standard (modern) single (UK) bed. When I was playing with the 3D program and was attempting to gernerate a photo-matched perspective using MJK1, the best result I got was from using a bed that was wider than a single but narrower than a double. So there's a bit of a consensus that MJK used a 3/4 bed.

Also I would guess that the bedstead was iron.

Comment

Absolutely incredible work - so atmospheric.

It changes my appreciation of Mary Jane's murder somewhat, too. I've always thought that Jack went as far with his mutilations as he did because he had the security of being indoors. However, now that I realise how tiny the room was, I can appreciate that he was much closer to the windows than I previously understood.

Yes, he was far more protected than he was with his other victims, but had anyone come along and disturbed him he would have been cornered.

Really, absolutely fascinating stuff!

Comment

Hello Richard,

Thanks very much. Pictured a single bed somehow, but a broader one makes more sense I suppose.

Cheers,
                        C4

Comment

I have made some more tweaks to the room and I've made a pair of shoes to sit near the fire BUT today my PC died! I'm hoping to be back up and running by Monday. I'm also hoping that my hard-drive is still working or at least retrievable or I will have to start from scratch with Miller's Court. Never fear I will be back and my 3D project will continue. If the lot's lost then it's a good excuse to make V2 even better. I plan to make it so you can wonder around the whole of Miller's Court. So you will be able to go out the door of No. 13 and look in through the broken window or explore the rest of the court. And I'm working to make it all more photo realistic.

sorry for the temp halt.

Comment

Now you are just teasing us .....

Comment

Good luck with the computer Richard...been there and done that (heartbreaking - and expensive too!)

All the best

Dave

Comment

Yeah, I've been there and done that before too. But I never seem to learn!

Maybe this time eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X