I’d go Foyle and Maigret.

Michael Kitchen And Rowan Atkinson.

Maybe with Fish as Wallender
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Imagine Danny Dyer as Abberline.

"Right, listen up slags, some melts been getting naughty in Whitechapel, and this geezers a bit tasty 'an all"

I'll have Danny Dyer and Ray Winstone. Or Ray Winstone as John Richardson! Cat house bouncer. Giving some punter the bums rush with a "next time I'll ******* kill you!"

I'd pay to see that.
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Fish and Trevor

It'll never be solved!!
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Matthew Macfadyen and Jerome Flynn?

Rupert Penry-Jones and Phil Davis?

Or my favourites, Philip Glenister and John Simm?
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
            Imagine Danny Dyer as Abberline.

"Right, listen up slags, some melts been getting naughty in Whitechapel, and this geezers a bit tasty 'an all"

I'll have Danny Dyer and Ray Winstone. Or Ray Winstone as John Richardson! Cat house bouncer. Giving some punter the bums rush with a "next time I'll ******* kill you!"

I'd pay to see that.
            Are you suggesting that two of the finest thespians of our generation are somewhat limited in their repertoires Al
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Endeavour Morse and Fred Thursday.

From Shaun Evans to Roger Allam this is everything you need to know about the cast and characters of ITV's Inspector Morse prequel

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                Best call yet

By the way Gary, I’ve been reading up on the ‘Who Put Bella In The Wych Elm Case’ and there’s a Horse Slaughterer in the mix. A man was sent to slaughter and remove a farmers horse. The company was called Spaldings Ltd. Don’t know where they were based but it was West Midlands. This was 1942 btw. No chance of involvement in the murder though as this particular avenue came to nothing. I just wondered if they were known to you but I imagine you focus on London with your research?
                Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 10-30-2020, 02:11 PM.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                  Folks, I forgot to mention that although the original tv BBC version was in black and white, the version on sale on Amazon is in colour,and it looks great!

Frank Windsor and Stratford Johns play it absolutely straight.

Highly recommended!
                  You might have watched it in black and white back in 1973 as that's the sort of set that the majority of the population had back then, but the production was always in colour and originally transmitted that way, if you were fortunate enough to have had a colour set to watch it on!

Comment

Originally posted by fanoofez View Post
                    You might have watched it in black and white back in 1973 as that's the sort of set that the majority of the population had back then, but the production was always in colour and originally transmitted that way, if you were fortunate enough to have had a colour set to watch it on!
                    Thanks for this Fanoofez, I wasn't aware of that, we only had a black and white telly in those days.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Best call yet

By the way Gary, I’ve been reading up on the ‘Who Put Bella In The Wych Elm Case’ and there’s a Horse Slaughterer in the mix. A man was sent to slaughter and remove a farmers horse. The company was called Spaldings Ltd. Don’t know where they were based but it was West Midlands. This was 1942 btw. No chance of involvement in the murder though as this particular avenue came to nothing. I just wondered if they were known to you but I imagine you focus on London with your research?
                      Thanks for that, Mike!

My focus is on wherever my ancestors laid their poleaxes(;-)) - which includes Bilston and Wolverhampton.

Spaldings doesn’t ring a bell. There were the Leaches/Leeches in Wolverhampton and the Hodgkinsons of Bilston.

In addition, my lot operated in Whitechapel, Islington, Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Dublin and County Kildare.

I’ll check the Spaldings out though, because it was a small world. Henry Tomkins, for instance, at one time had a Whitechapel knacker named Shippy boarding with him in Manchester. Shippy had previously worked in Wolverhampton where one of my ancestors was a witness to his marriage. The Shippy’s and Barnetts had previously lived and worked in Whitechapel. The ancestor in question had been in Islington at the same time as the Tomkins’s before they were caught stealing horse fat from John Harrison and moved to Manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Thanks for that, Mike!

My focus is on wherever my ancestors laid their poleaxes(;-)) - which includes Bilston and Wolverhampton.

Spaldings doesn’t ring a bell. There were the Leaches/Leeches in Wolverhampton and the Hodgkinsons of Bilston.

In addition, my lot operated in Whitechapel, Islington, Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Dublin and County Kildare.

I’ll check the Spaldings out though, because it was a small world. Henry Tomkins, for instance, at one time had a Whitechapel knacker named Shippy boarding with him in Manchester. Shippy had previously worked in Wolverhampton where one of my ancestors was a witness to his marriage. The Shippy’s and Barnetts had previously lived and worked in Whitechapel. The ancestor in question had been in Islington at the same time as the Tomkins’s before they were caught stealing horse fat from John Harrison and moved to Manchester.
                        No problem Gary. Unfortunately there’s no more info apart from the fact that the PC that was sent to examine their books was based in Oldbury so they must have been based somewhere nearby.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                        X