'McCarthy's Rents' art installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My questions are-
    Is this only a halloween display or will it be left up for a while?
    Was there any explaination with the exhibit as to what people were viewing?

Tom

Comment

I haven't read alot on this, however I live in Austin and if this display is still up I'd consider seeing it.

Comment

Hi Dave/Altered DNA,

Nice post. I liked reading snippets about your life and you and some thought processes in that one post. I like your work.
        Art is whatever you like,don't like and feel strongly about, anything,small things,big things,miniscule things. Whatever's people reaction about it is, that's a part of the artwork.
        The negative people are shallow and nothing good and strong to land their thoughts on.

Varqm
        Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
        M. Pacana

Comment

Oh dear, it doesn't look good,does it??

Perhaps I should offer a last request.

Comment

Actually the negative people are offering real reasons why they don't like it while the people supporting it are offering nothing more than I liked it. It touched me. I felt something? what precisely? It impacted me! Oh it's ART!

Please.

Oh and anna don't think just because I appear to be in the minority I am at all quashed. I generally gauge my opinions based on the masses and if I am with them, I know I'm wrong. If the masses were an indication of art and talent then Britney and Hannah Montana would actually be the most skilled out there.

And one more thing I've noticed...see any REAL students of the case commenting positively on this? The vast majority are silent and those that have spoken are fairly neutral. Wonder what that says?

The people who are praising this the most have no real sustained interest in the case. The difference between the people who really care about the case, and the fluffy hangers on. The common masses for which this case and this person has no more real meaning than any other. And that's who this display is rightly aimed at.

Let all Oz be agreed;
            I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post

Oh and anna don't think just because I appear to be in the minority I am at all quashed. I generally gauge my opinions based on the masses and if I am with them, I know I'm wrong. If the masses were an indication of art and talent then Britney and Hannah Montana would actually be the most skilled out there.
              Yeah...they got it so wrong about Shakespeare, didn't they.

And actual students of the case are too scared to post in case they get called perverts!!!
              babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

So one out of a billion? That's your gauge? You really think the level of what's "popular" now is an indication of talent? Really? Name a SINGLE current popular recording star splashed all over People magazine who actually has the talent their status deserves? The Kardashans (Sp?). Survior? Fear attack or whatever the hell it is? Taylor swift? The Jonas brothers? Paris Hilton? The masses are dumbasses. Period.

And if you will look back, you will find, I have never said that if you like it you are perverted, but I can understand how your guilt and feelings of unease at being wrong would lead you to believe that was the case.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

So one out of a billion? That's your gauge? You really think the level of what's "popular" now is an indication of talent? Really? Name a SINGLE current popular recording star splashed all over People magazine who actually has the talent their status deserves? .
                  Yep. Leona Lewis. A superb talent. Effortless voice. although i cant confrim if she has been in People magazine because i don't read it.

And if you will look back, you will find, I have never said that if you like it you are perverted, but I can understand how your guilt and feelings of unease at being wrong would lead you to believe that was the case.
                  No you didn't i am happy to concede that point...you did call the artist, as represented in his work, as an egotistical pervert though...so i kind of got the impression that those appreciating it would be equally so labelled. If you don't think that, i am glad we have cleared that up so my conscious allows me to sleep once again in the night!

By the way we had better be careful here...we are in real danger of turning into the female equivalent of Ben and Fisherman...i'll let you guess which one you are!
                  babybird

George Sand

Comment

Nah, we'll only be Ben and Fisherman when we completely take over the entire Visual Media forum so that no one else can have a conversation that even remotely pertains to visual media without the other coming in and yammering endlessly about "art". And accusing the other of never knowing when to stop.

Quit stalking me! Stop stalking me! Waaaaaaaah. Following me all over the boards!

I'm Fisherman of course. He's the one who is usually right.

Leona who?

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

I beg to differ.
                      Last edited by babybird67; 11-10-2009, 03:38 PM.
                      babybird

George Sand

Comment

...And he's a masterfully clever linguist too, don't forget.

I'm no match for such a paragon of perpetual rightness.

Thanks for the support anyway, Beebs.

Comment

Monty!!!

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          Ive just caught up with this thread.

Hmmmmm

Monty
                          How could you even think of saying something so controversial!!!

Controversial, yet...profound...and probably the most sensible comment so far!
                          babybird

George Sand

Comment

Hi Jenny

No probs - as I said it was weird that I had not heard of her till last week then she was mentioned on here!!

Just for the record - I don't like Shakespeare, did him at school and gave me serious headaches.

tj
                            It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

I don't like Shakespeare either. All flash and no substance. He's a master of crafting a sentence but his plots are the most ridiculously idiotic and hamfisted contrivances ever. I don't like him for the same reason I don't like stupid comedies today or soap operas. And I was an English Lit major.

Hmm...a well crafted piece that's no substance...seems familiar somehow...
                              Last edited by Ally; 11-10-2009, 04:12 PM.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

I can remember at school my eyes literally turning in on themselves when the teacher was reading out passages for us to change into modern English,

Give me Jeffery Deaver any day.

tj
                                It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Working...
                                X