Best Documentary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Documentary?

Of the various documentaries made about Jack the Ripper, which do you all think is the best?
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

None of them have got everything right - the best of them is like the most average of books on the case - but most here (at least in the UK) would agree it is an episode of the Channel Five documentary TO KILL AND KILL AGAIN from 2000. It's never been available commercially but bootlegs crop up on eBay from time to time and many of us have our own.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

I should look into that one.

Yeah, I think whenever you have a television show there is a tendency towards the sensational and to present a certain chosen view.

When you get documentaries like the one on the Maybrick Diary, the one about Tumblety, or the one about Patricia Cornwell then there is a very strong "advocacy" going on. If you were to watch, for instance, the Maybrick documentary without outside information then you would think that Maybrick had to be the Ripper.

Of what I have seen, I thought that A&E's Biography was one of the most balanced. The fact that they included Martin Fido as one of the experts impressed me, since I very much respect his work.
      "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

I agree with every word!

The SECRET HISTORY on the Tumbelty candidacy is considerably better than the Maybrick or Sickert ones, however, for a multitude of reasons.

There was a superb French documentary made on the case in 2007 called BABYLONE but it's only worth checking out if you speak French!

The Christopher Freyling TIMEWATCH from 1987 (also bootleg only) is one of the best academic renderings.

Martin is not only an engaging interviewee, he is also great company - sober or drunk! I do hope we get the chance to meet again.

PHILIP

Comment

You might also want to look into "Timewatch: Shadow of the Ripper" with Christopher Frayling from Channel 4, I believe.
          "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Dang it! Philip beat me to it. :-)
            "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

For my money the Marlow and Watts 1970's outing still takes some beating, despite the unfortunate conclusion.

But I must agree it aint been made yet.

Pirate

Comment

Well, I found the Timewatch special on Veoh (a service which I am quickly finding to be much better than Youtube). Thank you very much for the recommendations. It was a great documentary. Definitely one of the best. Martin Fido's part in it was pretty spectacular.

I think that the only thing I would crticize about the show is the conclusion wherein the host tells us that Jack The Ripper as we know him is some kind of psychological dump for whatever group we do not like. I don't think there is any evidence of that. Quite the contrary, there is plenty of evidence that is not the case.

I will use my own self as an example:

1) I don't especially have a category of person who I think must be Jack the Ripper. For instance, it does not make a difference to me if Jack was a poor East-Ender or a rich aristocrat. I am just interested in finding out who he is or at least finding out whatever I can about the crimes.

2) I personally feel that David Cohen is the most likely suspect. Yet I love the Jews as a people and have given a great deal of support to Israel, including some monetary support, over the years.

Other than the silly conclusion, I thought that the Timewatch documentary was fantastic. Thanks again for that.

Now to watch the Barlow and Watts then

Comment

I am not sure about the best doc but I can deffo say the worst - it has to be 'Jack the Ripper Revealed - The Truth At Last'. It is truely dire. I still can't get over the victims they name "Fanny" Fay and "Elizabeth" McKenzie!!
                  Best regards,
                  Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post
                    I am not sure about the best doc but I can deffo say the worst - it has to be 'Jack the Ripper Revealed - The Truth At Last'. It is truely dire. I still can't get over the victims they name "Fanny" Fay and "Elizabeth" McKenzie!!
                    Is that the one originally sold very cheaply on eBay - just some chap sitting talking to the camera throughout and concluding it's MJD? You might as well have just bought it as an audio download.

PHILIP

Comment

I watched the Barlow and Watt special. Thank you for the recommendation. I loved it. It was a great watch with all the dramatization and all. It is also interesting to see what their conclusions were like. Obviously, they were seemed to give too much credit to a "Royal Conspiracy" idea, but it didn't bother me.

Comment

I liked "Jack the Ripper an on-going mystery". The original not the discovery channel re-hash. It's on youtube

Comment

Barlow and Watt is AWESOME

Someone fill us Yanks in on these characters...really great stuff

Comment

can someone please send me the link to barlow and watt?

on veoh? i can't seem to find it anymore...thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Iago Galdston View Post
                              on veoh? i can't seem to find it anymore...thanks in advance!
                              It's still there. Just type in jack the ripper. Although you've probably found it by now.

Comment

Working...
                              X