No announcement yet.

Best Documentary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Barlow & Watts thing in ancient. From like, early '70s I believe. Saw it many years ago on PBS. First I ever heard of the "Royal Conspiracy" or "Joseph Sickert" and long before Stephen Knight's book.

The Timewatch thing with Frayling is good. I also disagreed with the "Jack is everyone we don't like" theme tho. It did introduce me to Judith Walkowitz' City of Dreadful Delight which I also enjoyed.

Hokey as it was I enjoyed the centenary Secret Identity of Jack the Ripper with the panel of experts hosted by Peter Ustinov. I think even for the time their suspect list was inadequate and found only Druitt and Kosminski believable tho I suppose PAV and the "Royal Conspiracy" were needed for ratings/popularity and D'Onston added some more color.

Comment

I personally like "Jack the Ripper: Anongoing Mystery" that was originally on the Discovery Channel. The reason I like it is because the reenactments are very errie and it offers commentary from Rumbelow, Evans, and Begg, which is rare for all 3 to be in the dame documentary. You also see Rumbelow giving his powerful voice on a Ripper tour. The only thing wrong with the documentary is it tends to lean towards Kosminski being the mot likely Ripper suspect.

Another one I like is "Jack the Ripper conspiracies" which was direct to DVD. While it doesn't have any reenactments (aside from a guy walking around in Ripper getup in the London Dungeons display), it does have lots of good pictures from the press, autopsy photos, and even shows you what the murder sites look like in the East End today, as well as other locations in Whitechapel. However, the narrator is a little over-the-top in his deliverance of the facts and tends to get annoying after awhile.
      I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Working...
      X