Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 61-Opening Pandora's Box: Syphilis in Whitechapel 1888

Hi all,

This special episode of Rippercast brings to you researcher Robert Anderson's talk given at the Whitechapel Society 1888's 2014 conference in Salisbury. His chosen topic was tertiary syphilis and its widespread presence amongst the prostitutes and their clients in the East End of London in the late Victorian Period. He discussed its symptoms, treatments, and how it may have affected victims and suspects in the Autumn of Terror.

Please make sure to download the slide show presentation used by Mr. Anderson, in .pdf format, also linked to on the episode's podcast page.

Big thanks to Robert for making this available!

Thanks for listening!

JM

Last edited by jmenges; 11-29-2014, 07:03 AM.

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
    This special episode of Rippercast brings to you researcher Robert Anderson's talk given at the Whitechapel Society 1888's 2014 conference in Salisbury. His chosen topic was tertiary syphilis and its widespread presence amongst the prostitutes and their clients in the East End of London in the late Victorian Period. He discussed its symptoms, treatments, and how it may have affected victims and suspects in the Autumn of Terror.
    I don't want to distract from Robert Anderson's talk, but I wonder whether any of the other presentations at Salisbury were recorded, and whether we can look forward to hearing them in due course.

Comment

I cracked up when I read that title. In America, box is a euphemism for a woman's...uh...well, you know...

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        I don't want to distract from Robert Anderson's talk, but I wonder whether any of the other presentations at Salisbury were recorded, and whether we can look forward to hearing them in due course.
        Hi Chris,

Trevor Bond recorded his, but at this time Robert Anderson is the only person who has offered his up for release. Stay tuned. Fingers crossed.

I do hope that Rippercast can release more conference talks in the future, even of conferences long past, as it's something I've been badgering people about for years.

JM

Comment

Thank you for an interesting talk and presentation.

Every time I've brought up syphilis as a revenge motive for the murders here on the Casebook message boards, it's been dismissed and countered by a scientific explanation of the stages and so forth, completely ignoring anger as an actionable human emotion. So I pretty much gave up.

Roy
          Sink the Bismark

Comment

What a truly great presentation...I only wish there were some means we could see the accompanying slides...but either way, who cares about the RE codswallop if stuff of this calibre's on offer...

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

The pdf file that's linked on the podcast page are the slides in the order which they are used in the presentation. Free to download.

Thanks!

JM

Comment

Thanks JM...I must've missed those first time round (don't know how!) but at least it gives me a solid excuse to listen again later!

All the best

Dave

Comment

I do hope that Rippercast can release more conference talks in the future, even of conferences long past, as it's something I've been badgering people about for years.
                  It's something I'll bring up with the other organisers for 2015 as I'd possibly like to do this if the speakers are willing.
                  Last edited by bigjon; 12-01-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Someone (possibly me) mentioned a Kickstarter-like campaign to bring Rippercast (meaning me) to Nottingham. The clock is ticking...

<------ Jon Rees at the airport

JM

Comment

Someone (possibly me) mentioned a Kickstarter-like campaign to bring Rippercast (meaning me) to Nottingham. The clock is ticking...

<------ Jon Rees at the airport

JM
                      And you need a sidekick I think.... Let's see, who can help you.... Oh yeah... I can.. let me pack my bags!!

by the way JM fantastic episode.... thank you so much

Steadmund Brand
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Really informative....

Just had chance to go through the slides.

What an informative piece. Very well done.

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                          What a truly great presentation...I only wish there were some means we could see the accompanying slides...but either way, who cares about the RE codswallop if stuff of this calibre's on offer...

Dave
                          Thank you for the kind remarks!

Robert Anderson
                          Managing Editor
                          Casebook Wiki

Comment

I have been away and thrilled to see more Rippercasts posted. I've listened to all up to this one, and so went on faith in JM & Co. that a talk at a conference with slide show (yikes!) on syphilis in Whitechapel in 1888 was the way to go for my Saturday morning's entertainment.

What an interesting and dare I say entertaining program this was! Robert Anderson was terrific and the information important to the JTR subject. This will forever be added to my mental catalog of Victorian London depicting these times. The .pdf of the slides were a great plus enhancing the program.

Thanks to everyone, especially the brilliant Robert Anderson. Want more of this guy.

Comment

Yes, we were pretty excited to be able to share Robert's conference talk, thanks for keeping the faith and supporting the show. Ally & I were talking just the other day about how we would like to hear more of this guy, too...

JM

Comment

Working...
                              X