No announcement yet.

Paul Begg: Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was referring to Robert McLaughlin’s book The First Jack The Ripper Victim Photographs.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
      He was referring to Robert McLaughlin’s book The First Jack The Ripper Victim Photographs.

JM
      Thanks for that, Jon

Comment

I much admire Robert's book, which is the sort of book with what at the time had (and may still have) insufficient popular appeal to interest a mainstream publisher, but which I hoped would be the sort of title print-on-demand and ebooks might have encouraged others to write. On the podcast, I was about to name it when, as increasingly happens these days, both the book title and Robert's name flew from my mind and vanished. Robert is one of those people who we don't see around the message boards anymore, which is a great pity.

Comment

I'm pleased you found the podcast interesting and I'm grateful to Jonathan for having done it.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
            I much admire Robert's book, which is the sort of book with what at the time had (and may still have) insufficient popular appeal to interest a mainstream publisher, but which I hoped would be the sort of title print-on-demand and ebooks might have encouraged others to write. On the podcast, I was about to name it when, as increasingly happens these days, both the book title and Robert's name flew from my mind and vanished. Robert is one of those people who we don't see around the message boards anymore, which is a great pity.
            Thanks Paul!

This book sounds really interesting, but it had completely passed me by.

In London, my artist / film-maker friend and I had bounced around a couple of ideas for collaborating on "something" (dissertation? / book? / short film?) relating to some of the contemporary ripper imagery.

It would likely be more from an "art" perspective than an "historical" one.

I was a little bit gutted when a couple of minutes before the end of the podcast you mentioned that a book about the crime scene photography already exists!!!!

I need to check it out to see if this scuppers our plans..!

Comment

I’m still annoyed with myself for not getting the McLaughlin book when it came out. I’m pretty sure that it costs a fortune these days when available. I just looked on the price check site that I use and there isn’t one on sale at the moment. I was surprised at how many newish ripper books there are for sale that I’ve never heard of though. I resisted the temptation to buy James Munro Hunts The Ghost Of Jack The Ripper or Absinthe Jack. Or even a JTR colouring book which I don’t recall Paul reviewing.

Comment

Paul,

Could Rumbelow's knife be Coram's knife?

Comment

Thanks Paul and Jonathan.
                  Any reason for the difference in the 2 mp3 bitrates? Part 1 is 64kbps. Part 2 is 160kbps. I downloaded both the same way. In Firefox right-click the "clicking here" links and using "Save Link As...".
                  These are not clues, Fred.
                  It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                  They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                  And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                  We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                    Thanks Paul and Jonathan.
                    Any reason for the difference in the 2 mp3 bitrates? Part 1 is 64kbps. Part 2 is 160kbps. I downloaded both the same way. In Firefox right-click the "clicking here" links and using "Save Link As...".
                    No reason.

Most all of the episodes you hear are converted from lossless aiff to mp3 and at some point I changed the settings from 128kbps (64kbps mono) to 320kbps (160kbps mono) between converting the two episodes - probably doing something else- and I forgot and didn't notice.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                      I’m still annoyed with myself for not getting the McLaughlin book when it came out. I’m pretty sure that it costs a fortune these days when available. I just looked on the price check site that I use and there isn’t one on sale at the moment. I was surprised at how many newish ripper books there are for sale that I’ve never heard of though. I resisted the temptation to buy James Munro Hunts The Ghost Of Jack The Ripper or Absinthe Jack. Or even a JTR colouring book which I don’t recall Paul reviewing.
                      I was too busy with my crayons to review it. Funny thing, I'm sure I have it here somewhere. Not crayoned in, I hasten to add. Robert's book is very expensive, but I seem to recall that Adam Wood had planned to re-publish it. I don't know if that fell through though.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                        Paul,

Could Rumbelow's knife be Coram's knife?
                        I think it seems to be accepted that it is most probably one of the Phoenix Park knives. If it isn't, maybe it could be Coram's, though I have a feeling it doesn't fit that knife's description.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post

I was too busy with my crayons to review it. Funny thing, I'm sure I have it here somewhere. Not crayoned in, I hasten to add. Robert's book is very expensive, but I seem to recall that Adam Wood had planned to re-publish it. I don't know if that fell through though.
                          I’ll keep an eye on the Mango Books site for that one.

Comment

I’ll keep an eye on the Mango Books site for that one.
                            I've spent a bit of time looking to track down a copy, but it appears there's nothing doing at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

I've spent a bit of time looking to track down a copy, but it appears there's nothing doing at the moment.
                              And I think that if you eventually find one Ms D you’ll be looking at big money.

Comment

And I think that if you eventually find one Ms D you’ll be looking at big money.
                                Yeah, from what I was seeing online, it looked a bit out of my price range, even if a copy could be sourced.

Oh well, back to the drawing board....

Comment

Working...
                                X