Rippercast: Crime-buff episodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rippercast: Crime-buff episodes

Due to popular demand, Rippercast: The Jack the Ripper Podcast will be occasionally bringing you special Crime-Buffs editions. These podcasts will focus on infamous murder cases, solved and unsolved, of the Victorian and Edwardian era. With many of the same familiar voices you've heard on Rippercast, along with special guests, experts and authors, Rippercast: Crime-buffs edition will hopefully satisfy out regular listener's interest in other murderous crimes of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

It will be available in the same podcast feed as Rippercast (so subscribers need not do a thing) as well as here in the Casebook's podcast section.

If you have a specific murder case you would like our panel to cover, or if you consider yourself an arm-chair expert in a particular crime, please PM myself or Ally Ryder, email the show at Rippercast@gmail.com , or comment in this thread.

We already have many ideas for episodes in the works, but listener input is always valued.

Thanks for listening!

Stay Tuned,

The Crew of Rippercast

HH Holmes, please

Terrific idea!

I would like to hear about HH Holmes, and I'm especially curious to hear everyone's opinion as to why he is so little known today when his crimes were so horrific... America seems to have amnesia or something.

Thank you, Archaic

PS: I posted links to 2 excellent full-length documentaries about him on the Casebook Holmes thread if you are interested.
    They can be viewed online for free.

Comment

Great suggestion, Archaic.

I've read two books on Holmes and have seen those documentaries you mentioned, so at least I'll come prepared!

Thanks,

JM

Comment

How about a conversation about the Constance Kent case--subject of the very popular (and well-timed-the murder had been largely forgotten in the wider public consciousness) book "Suspicions of Mr. Whicher"? In doing a search just now here I find that Stewart Evans is obviously an expert on the case, and I'd love to hear some of Rippercast's usual suspects weigh in. It's 28 years before Whitechapel but very victorian nevertheless.

[As an aside, I first "knew" of the case via a wonderful segment of the fantastic British ghost-story film "Dead Of Night", which did a version of the story that used the name Constance Kent and basically outlined the murder. I had NO idea at the time that there really had been a Constance Kent-thinking it was all fictional! I'm sure the British cinemagoers of 1945 were way ahead of me on that one.]

Comment

Thanks JennyL,

And thank you for your very kind words on the MJK pt. 1 thread, too. They are much appreciated.

I read The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher not too long ago and we'll certainly cover the Constance Kent case as a Crime Buffs episode. I think I first read of Kent in the book Victorian Murderesses, by Mary S. Hartman, many years ago and the case has always interested me.

All the best,

JM

Comment

The Peasenhall Murder

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
            Thanks JennyL,
            And thank you for your very kind words on the MJK pt. 1 thread, too. They are much appreciated.
            I read The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher not too long ago and we'll certainly cover the Constance Kent case as a Crime Buffs episode. I think I first read of Kent in the book Victorian Murderesses, by Mary S. Hartman, many years ago and the case has always interested me.
            All the best,
            JM
            Sounds like a good idea Jonathan, that should bring in some excellent and celebrated cases, not least of all my favourite the Peasenhall murder of 1902. An excellent book on this case was written by Ripper authors Martin Fido and Keith Skinner.
            SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

I like the idea also, but I would rather see a Rippercast based on unfamous and unexplored murders, like the John Gill murder which remains entirely unstudied, and is in urgent need of such.

Comment

Urgent need? Why precisely is the John Gill case one of urgent need? It's not like the killer is at large and likely to strike again. However, gross hyperbole aside, the Gill case will probably be one of the ones discussed.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Magazine

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
                  I like the idea also, but I would rather see a Rippercast based on unfamous and unexplored murders, like the John Gill murder which remains entirely unstudied, and is in urgent need of such.
                  There's a lengthy article on the John Gill case in this month's True Detective magazine.
                  SPE

Comment

Who by, Stewart? And is it good?

Comment

Haven't Seen It

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
                      Who by, Stewart? And is it good?
                      Haven't seen it AP, I'm trying to get a copy.
                      SPE

Comment

The Constance Kent case has been the subject of several books and plays - one by Patrick Hamilton.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Best Book

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            The Constance Kent case has been the subject of several books and plays - one by Patrick Hamilton.
                            The best book on the case is Cruelly Murdered by Bernard Taylor, London, Souvenir Press, 1979. It is a classic study.
                            SPE

Comment

It may be a bit obvious, but wouldn't the Ratcliff Highway Murders be a prime contender?

PHILIP
                              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Working...
                              X