No announcement yet.

Ep. #44 The Chapman-Ripper Theory: w/ R Michael Gordon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It still isn't downloading for me on iTunes. So weird, never had a problem before. But I can download it by right clicking on the link on which page?
    Best,

LV

Comment

Please try deleting/removing the show from your iTunes podcast library (it will give you the option of keeping the files you can say "yes"), go back into the iTunes music store and re-subscribe. There should now be a "Get" button next to each episode back in your library listing. You should be able to download each episode.

I am showing no broken feeds when I do this myself.

Please let me know if it works.

Thanks,

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        Thread for discussion of Episode 44 of Rippercast

The Chapman-Ripper Theory: with R Michael Gordon

Featuring the voices of R Michael Gordon, Steve Mateski, David Gates, Gareth Williams and Ben Holme.

Thanks to all who participated in this episode and everyone who supplied their comments and questions!

Thanks for listening!

JM
        I just listened and that Dave Gates fellow shoul never be allowed on again! What a moron.
        We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
          I just listened and that Dave Gates fellow shoul never be allowed on again! What a moron.
          I thought he was splendid
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

But you weren't listening, were you Sam?
            I reckon you boys have all got an attack of the luvvies.

Comment

Article on Klosowski aka Chapman in next Ripperologist

We enjoyed that podcast very much. It was very good humoured as well as interesting so congratulations to the author Michael and Sam,Ben,Dave and Steve----and ofcourse JM for presenting such an impressive discussion.
              I thought it may be of interest that I have written quite a long article for this months "Ripperologist" on Chapman.It was written before I knew of R.Michael Gordon"s book ,"The Thames Torso Murders of Victorian London" which I had to order through the local library and took a while to arrive- it did so this week.I am hoping to write a follow up article which will focus on the Torso murders .

Best Wishes

Norma
              Last edited by Natalie Severn; 04-26-2009, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
                But you weren't listening, were you Sam?
                I reckon you boys have all got an attack of the luvvies.
                ... all I have to say to that, AP darling, is "Mwah!"
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Nats - I look forward eagerly to your article, and thanks for the kind words.

"Mwah!" to you, also
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

.... mwah! mwah! Sam. And Meow! Meow! to AP.....[only kidding AP]

Comment

Sam,
                      I noticed during the podcast that you questioned whether or not Klosowski had lived with both "wives" .According to HL Adam,in The Trial of George Chapman, which I have only just been able to obtain from the library,he says that it is likely he had been married in Poland before he came to London : "It is probable that he was already married before he came to this country.At any rate , a woman came to England from either Russia or Poland, and claimed him as her husband.Her arrival,however,was at a most inopportune time, for Klosowski,who had been without female companionship for as long as he could possibly endure,had already gone through a marriage ceremony with another woman.The two women met at his house some time soon after his marriage to Lucy Baderski *........both women claimed the distinction of being the real wife and neither would give way to the other.For some time the two women lived in the same building ........"page 3.
                      He goes on to say that Severin and Lucy were living at Cable Street -----and removed to Greenfield Street later.
                      Adam states ,"At length one of the women went away,disappeared."

* date of the marriage was 29 October 1889-not August Bank Holiday 1889 as wrongly recalled by Stanislaus Baderski, Lucy"s brother,at Chapman"s trial.

Comment

Hello Nats,
                        Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                        Sam,
                        I noticed during the podcast that you questioned whether or not Klosowski had lived with both "wives" . According to HL Adam,in The Trial of George Chapman, which I have only just been able to obtain from the library,he says that it is likely he had been married in Poland before he came to London
                        R Michael Gordon referred to the incident where Klosowski's two "wives" met, and - as HL Adam puts it - one of them "disappeared". As I pointed out, HL Adam gets this bit wrong, and that Lucy Baderski was this mysterious "Polish wife", as the following proves.

HL Adam says this in the Introduction to his book (I'll quote a bit more of he same passage you posted, as it's relevant):
                        "It is indeed probable that he was already married before he came to this country. At any rate, a woman came to England from either Russia or Poland, and claimed him as her husband [but] Klosowski [...] had already gone through a marriage ceremony with another woman. The two women met at his house. Both claimed [to be] the real wife, and neither would give way to the other. For some time the two women actually lived in the same building as this enterprising barber. [...] At length, one of the women went away - disappeared - leaving the other mistress [because] of the situation. The one woman who remained was the Polish woman, Lucy Baderski." (Adam, The Trial of George Chapman, p3)

However, this is a clear misreading of an episode that occurred between Annie Chapman and Lucy Baderski as the following excerpt from Annie Chapman's testimony describes:
                        - "Do you recognise that woman, Mrs Klosowski [née Lucy Baderski]?"

- "Yes, he brought her to the shop where I was living with him. He said she was his wife".

- "Did you all three live in the house for some weeks after that?"

- "Yes, and I then left. That was the reason why I left [i.e. that Klosowski said that Lucy was his wife]." (Ibid., pp 101-102. Also in the trial transcripts of the Old Bailey.)
                        Annie tells us that this happened in Jan/Feb 1895, and given that Annie herself was evidently the "disappearing wife", she clearly couldn't have been the Pinchin Street Torso, as Gordon suggests.

This also tells me that HL Adam's "Introduction" to the book should be read with extreme caution, given that he made this elementary error. Far better to stick to the Court transcripts.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

hi Sam and all

firstly, the podcast was great...everyone was very informative and i learned a lot. It's a great way also to take in the information and to put a voice to a boardname (Sam...when i am reading your posts now i "hear" them in your lovely Welsh lilt!)

Thanks for those bits about the Polish wife thing...it's so easy to read something/hear something and think it correct isnt it...this whole subject is a minefield!

and Dave...hahaha...you were excellent, and not in the slightest moronic!

I still think it would be interesting as Michael said to go and have a dig at a couple of addresses where Chapman was known to have lived...would be fab if something turned up.
                          babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Thanks Sam,
                            Yes,I have had a chance today to read through more of the book that I have only had for a couple of days, and I had actually worked this one out for myself Sam, earlier on!
                            It would seem to me that the Polish wife is non other than Lucy Baderski.Neither Lucy"s brother, brother in law , sister or Wolff Levisohn---who seems to have been everywhere in Whitechapel like a rash between 1888 and 1890---make even a passing reference to any "Polish wife " having come over from Poland and I think they would have, had it actually happened!
                            In any case there were apparently indications of prostitution on the Pinchin Street torso and none of Chapman"s "wives" appear to have been prostitutes.

baby bird,
                            Yes you are quite right about the need for a "dig" at those known Chapman addresses .Astonishing it wasnt done at the time really.I mean Fred West"s houses ,gardens, cellars were combed throughout as was Christie"s only 50 years later!
                            Cheers
                            Norma

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                              Please try deleting/removing the show from your iTunes podcast library (it will give you the option of keeping the files you can say "yes"), go back into the iTunes music store and re-subscribe. There should now be a "Get" button next to each episode back in your library listing. You should be able to download each episode.

I am showing no broken feeds when I do this myself.

Please let me know if it works.

Thanks,

JM
                              It's still not working after I did what you said. Arrgh! Oh well, must be my computer. Thanks for the tip!
                              Best,

LV

Comment

What exactly is happening when you try to download it via iTunes? Are you getting an error message of any kind? And, can you not right-click download to get the episode from the streaming episode page?

Are you on dial-up?

Let me know exactly what is occurring (stalled download, exclamation point in iTunes etc) and hopefully we can figure out how to fix it.

We can take this to PM if you wish...

JM

Comment

Working...
                                X