Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Covell
    replied
    Great show, with some well presented arguments and nice to see and hear everyones thoughts on those they think are more viable suspects.

Leave a comment:

• Ben
    replied
    I meant "tight" in terms of its plausibility, Andy (if it was me!).

I wanted to reinforce that important distinction between "evidence that he could" and "evidence that he did". And I would have been including Tabram.

Glad you enjoyed the show,

Ben

Leave a comment:

• aspallek
    replied
    Hello there. Another good podcast but I would just like to make a slight correction regarding Druitt. There was nothing "tight" regarding the cricket schedule of Druitt and any of the canonical murders. There is 30 hours or so between Nichols' murder and Druitt's Sept 1 cricket match in Dorset. 30 hours to accomplish a three hour rail journey is not exactly tight. Chapman is murdered sometime around 6 am and Druitt is not on the cricket pitch in nearby Blackheath until somewhere around 10 am -- four hours to accomplish a 30 minute rail journey. Even granting time for a change of clothing this is not tight. There are no other cricket matches involving Druitt in any other canonical murder.

Tabram would present a bit of a problem, but I do not think that she was a ripper victim.

Also regarding Sickert -- Osbert Sitwell wrote about him not as a victim but relating a Ripper theory possessed by Sickert. This is significant in that Sitwell was a close friend of Cristabel Aberconway and a relative of his by the surname of Wilmot-Sitwell lived at The Osiers at the time of the murders. Sitwell also described a visit to Tuke Asylum.

Leave a comment:

• Roy Corduroy
    replied
    One more thing. This is a neat idea to have the Podcasts go through Casebook.

For anyone who hasn't tried it yet, it's free, just go to the left to Ripper Podcast and click and enjoy. And while you are listening, you can post about it on Casebook, as I did. Just click Discuss this episode. It takes you right to the discussion thread.

Thanks Jonathan and the folks at Casebook. And of course, the speakers.

Roy

Leave a comment:

• Roy Corduroy
    replied
    That dog won't hunt.

He gets the free alibi pass. No need for the diary and anagrams.

Thanks Jon and Phil,

Roy

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Hi Roy,

9 out of a total of 13 private journals (4 volumes have gone missing) were purchased by the British Library in 1969. I assume they still reside there.

catalogue numbers: Add 54340 - 54348
    Manuscripts Room,
    British Library
    London

As far as Wallace's claims, he states in his book Jack the Ripper: Lighthearted Friend that Dodgson changed from his usual purple ink, to write in black on the dates of the Whitechapel murders.

Regardless, Dodgson had alibis (from wiki)

* On April 3, 1888, when Emma Elizabeth Smith was attacked in London, Carroll was in Oxford and was temporarily unable to walk due to health problems.
    * From August 31 through September 30, 1888, when Mary Ann Nichols, Annie Chapman, Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes were killed, Carroll was vacationing in Eastbourne, East Sussex along with Isa Bowman, a child actress and personal friend of his. Meanwhile, Thomas Vere Bayne had severe back pain during the summer of 1888 and was barely able to move.
    * On November 9, 1888, when Mary Jane Kelly was killed, both Carroll and Bayne were reportedly in Oxford.

Here is a link to an online resource concerning Carroll's diaries.

http://www.lewiscarroll.cc/diaries2.html

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 01-13-2009, 02:47 AM. Reason: added link

Leave a comment:

• George Hutchinson
    replied
    Hmm... we have records of a lot of Lewis Carroll's possessions at Guildford Museum, where I work part-time (he died five minutes walk from where I live and is buried here) but we don't actually have much on site and I don't know if they'd give me access should the relevent diary be held in the Surrey County Archives.

PHILIP

Leave a comment:

• Roy Corduroy
    replied
    Where exactly is the diary of Lewis Carroll, where the colors of ink changed on the murder days? Who is in possession of it?

Leave a comment:

• Ep. 38- Killers on the Loose: Eliminating the Suspects

This is a discussion thread for Rippercast

Episode 38- Killers on the Loose: Eliminating the Suspects

Featuring the voices of Chris Scott, Howard Brown, Ally Ryder, Gareth Williams, Ben Holme and Jonathan Menges.

Available now in the Casebook Podcast section or in the iTunes Music Store, search word: Rippercast

Thanks to all who participate and all who listen!

JM
Working...
X