X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rippercast- The Jack the Ripper Podcast

Hi all.

Episode 2 of Rippercast is now available streaming online at

Photography and the Whitechapel Murders- with guest Robert J. Mclaughlin.

You may need quicktime for windows to listen.

I'll attempt to "ping" iTunes so that it updates for those of you who have subscribed.

Robert Mclaughlin was an excellent guest and I hope he becomes as much of a regular guest as he can. Wonderful show all around.

Thanks to Robert, Mike Covell, and Howard Brown for a bunch of great questions. It was truely a great time had by all.

EDIT- Just hit the subscribe button on the rippernet/rippercast website and the new episode will download to your computer into iTunes.

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 02-18-2008, 04:15 AM.

And what a great show it was, I could listen to Roberts findings all day long!

I really enjoyed last nights episode.

Good stuff!
    Regards Mike

Comment

The photographs and illustrations, along with shownotes, are now up on the rippercast website

It's important in the shownotes that I accurately link to all the information we discussed, if an online source exists.

If anyone notices an omission, please contact me about it and I'll edit the page.

rippernet@mac.com

Thanks!

JM

Comment

The Rippercast website has been updated to include information on tomorrow's podcast show. It will be available to download or stream by tomorrow evening US time.

JM

Comment

Hi all,

Episode #3 of the weekly Jack the Ripper podcast is now online at www.rippernet.com

The Final Cut: The Whitechapel Murders On Radio, Film and Television.

with Howard Brown, Mike Covell, Robert McLaughlin and Jonathan Menges. Special Guest Justin Dombrowski.

JM

Comment

Hi all,

Episode #4 of the Jack the Ripper podcast Rippercast will record today and feature special guest Dan Norder, editor of Ripper Notes.

Titled- Sour Grapes : Myths from the Whitechapel Murders

This is the main subject of discussion but we will also talk about other happenings in the Ripper community, time permitting.

Also on board today are Howard Brown, Robert J. Mclaughlin and Mike Covell.

It will be available for download later Sunday evening US time at Rippernet.com and after that from the iTunes Music Store's Podcast section, kw: Jack the Ripper.

Thanks to everyone who participates in and listens to this program.

JM

Comment

Episode #4 Now Online

Download Episode #4- Sour Grapes: Myths From The Whitechapel Murders

with very special guest Dan Norder

from http://www.rippernet.com/Site/Podcast/Podcast.html

hit the subscribe button to download direct to iTunes

or stream it on your computer in Quicktime here:

Shownotes will be updated tomorrow...

Special thanks to Dan Norder, How, Mike and Robert for making a great show!

JM

Comment

Hi all,

The new episode is up, but somehow the URL has changed over the last week.

The Barrister of Bright Talent: Ripper Suspect Montague John Druitt

with Special Guest Andy Spallek.

Click "Subscribe" on the page linked to above and the latest episode should download to your iTunes.

Or click the link for the episode and you can stream the podcast.

Do to technical problems with the URL and the iTunes Music Store, until it's fixed listeners must go to the site to receive the latest episode.

Please let me know if anyone has problems downloading.

Shownotes and pictures will be added very soon.

Thanks to Andy, Dan, Mike and Howard for helping to make this podcast!

JM

Comment

Hmmm.

That above link is not working. Lets try again.

JM

Comment

New Episode #6 Tomorrow

Hi all,

After a week hiatus, Episode #6 of the podcast will be recorded tomorrow.

A Perfect Savage : The Murder of Martha Tabram

with myself, Howard Brown, Mike Covell and hopefully Robert McLaughlin.

I'm behind on the show notes for Episode #5 on Druitt and send my apologies. I'll get them up tomorrow along with the show notes for #6.

Due to ongoing technical difficulties with my rss feed, to download the latest episode you must go to the Rippercast website at the link located here http://www.rippernet.com/Rippercast/...t/Podcast.html and click the Subscribe button to download the new episode to the podcast section of your iTunes library.

OR, if you choose, you can go directly to the feed page located here

feed://www.rippernet.com/Rippercast/Podcast/rss.xml

right-click on the podcast's mp3 file and it will download to your desktop.

The new episode will be ready for you Sunday evening, USA time.

This podcast project is something we do for fun, for free, and for the community and wish that anyone who would like to participate in a podshow contact either myself, Howard or Mike. Suggest your topic and we'll fill you in on the technical requirements.

Thanks to all who listen!

JM

Comment

Hi JM. I never looked at this thread and chanced upon Robert's episode on the net a few nights ago. I streamed it but the playback quality was REALLY poor, to the extent there were silent pauses and the sound was swimming so much as to be sometimes be difficult to understand the speech. Is there a way to improve the quality? I do have iTunes on my PC, but it's all on my C drive which is nearly full. I'm not sure how I can save all the iTunes downloads to a different drive and folder and still recall them into iTunes itself. Anyone got any ideas?

It's a smashing idea, by the way, and excellent results. Ripper Radio. Nice.

PHILIP
                      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Phil:

I have a vision....

I see Phil Hutchinson dropping the knitting...and getting his toches down to TESCO or wherever Brits buy headsets....and Phil purchasing a nice Skype compatible headset....it won't break Phil, now that he's got some money in his pockets....and then...then, he contacts JMenges and says..."Yes ! I really want to do a podcast about Ripper Tours and I'll gladly accept no pay for doing so ! I'm a rich man,after all..."

Can you see that too, Phil?

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                          Hi JM. I never looked at this thread and chanced upon Robert's episode on the net a few nights ago. I streamed it but the playback quality was REALLY poor, to the extent there were silent pauses and the sound was swimming so much as to be sometimes be difficult to understand the speech. Is there a way to improve the quality? I do have iTunes on my PC, but it's all on my C drive which is nearly full. I'm not sure how I can save all the iTunes downloads to a different drive and folder and still recall them into iTunes itself. Anyone got any ideas?

It's a smashing idea, by the way, and excellent results. Ripper Radio. Nice.

PHILIP
                          Hi Philip,

You should get better results with the quality by downloading the show as an mp3 rather than streaming from the website. That should eliminate completely what you call 'silent pauses'. That being said, there were audio issues with a couple of the episodes and Robert McLaughlin is in a particular situation since the Skype telephony application has reportedly (and evidently) poor quality in Canada.

Also, reception using Skype varies depending on the amount of traffic the application is experiencing world wide. We do the show on a Sunday with hopes of it being used less so we can avoid drop offs and varying reception, but to a certain extent that is something we cannot entirely control. I've got a new headset which I will debut today on the Tabram show, and I'll make sure the overall sound quality of the show is the best it can be when I'm running it through garage band. I could also compress it a bit less, which would improve the quality but make for a larger file to host on the site and a larger download for the listener, which translates to slower page loading time, and that's already becoming an issue due to 5 shows already being hosted at once. Please bear with me as I'm new at this. It will improve over time. Thanks for the feedback.

Re: Your iTunes issue. You can change the save location of your iTunes downloads and create a new targeted download folder by going to your iTunes Preferences/Advanced/General. You'll see the first thing is iTunes Music Folder Location. From here you can Change it to download into a folder located on an external drive. This is Mac instructions but I believe the same would be true with Windows. Hope that helps.

Thanks for listening to the show and I hope you continue to do so in spite of the odd audio glitches.

JM
                          Last edited by jmenges; 03-23-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Jonathan,

I am at your beck and call for appearances, whether Druitt-related or not. I'll gladly fill in as a panelist if you need me.

Comment

Andy, I PM'ed you yesterday...

Episode 6 is now online

Remember to hit the 'Subscribe' button on this page http://www.rippernet.com/Rippercast/...t/Podcast.html to download it to iTunes.

I'll get the show notes (and episode 5 show notes) up soon.

Thanks to How, Mike and Robert for making this a great episode.

Hope you enjoy

JM
                              Last edited by jmenges; 03-24-2008, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X