No announcement yet.

Rippercast- The Jack the Ripper Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Jonathan - yes, it is all one and the same. The 1996 SECRET HISTORY is the Marshall Cavendish WHITECHAPEL MURDERS is SPE & Paul Gainey talking about FT.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Hi all,

I want to announce officially that tomorrow's podcast (Rippercast Episode 28) will tackle the subject of the suspect Kosminski, with researcher/author Rob House as special guest. Plus a gathering of co-hosts, all of them special as well

Stay Tuned,

JM

iTunes Music Store kw: Jack the Ripper

Comment

• On the subject of last week's podcast re letters, I wanted to mention something. As he had done on a previous podcast, Chris mentioned - as an example of the speed at which news travelled in the era - that an Australian newspaper dated November 9th had a report of the Kelly murder.

What strikes me as odd about this is that we're in a different time zone down this wee corner of the globe. Right now my computer's clock tells me it's 6.46 am on Monday. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ tells me that in London it's 7.46pm Sunday and in Sydney it's 4.46am Monday.

According to Casebook's victim timeline, Bowyer peeked in the window of Miller's Court at 10.45am on Friday morning. At this time in Sydney it would have been 7.45pm on Friday. Even if it Bowyer went to the press agency before the police, and their first response was to get in contact with Aussie right away and then the Aussies whipped out an extra at lightning speed, we're talking 9-10pm at night for this to be published. Even if it had been Perth rather than Sydney, which is two hours earlier, it's still very late to publish a paper.

Please note, in the spirit of avoiding conflict, that I'm no way disputing the evidence put forward by the highly respected Mr Scott, whose extensive work in the areas of newspapers, census records, et al I find very impressive, considering that I would never have the patience to attempt it. It's just something that struck me as very odd both times he's mentioned it and I wondered what others thought, and perhaps if Chris could provide more info on the paper in question?

Cheers,
        Bailey
        Last edited by Bailey; 09-21-2008, 09:59 PM.
        Bailey
        Wellington, New Zealand
        hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
        www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

• Hi Bailey
          You are right to take me to task as the report I referred to appeared on 10 November, the day after the Kelly murder.
          It appeared in the Port Philip Herald and you can read it here

Apologies to all for the mistake
          Chris

Comment

• Chris, do you realised I had to do actual maths to ask that question? Maths, with counting and numbers and stuff! Very cruel of you, sir! Words I can do, numbers are very hard indeed

In all seriousness, thanks for the speedy reply. I believe, however, that your point re the quick movement of news is still valid - clearly this article has been published within 24 hour or thereabouts of the event, halfway around the globe. In the context in which it was discussed on the podcast, clearly there would have been more than ample time for the news of the double event to reach the (alleged) forger of the Saucy Jacky postcard.

Keep up the good work Chris - how you have the patience for it is beyond me, but well done indeed!

Cheers,
            Bailey
            Bailey
            Wellington, New Zealand
            hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
            www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

• With regards to the letter of the first of October, I just want to say that I agree it is possible that someone could have hoaxed it by looking at an early edition of the paper, or by being a member of the press and having a look at the copy going to press. Though I have no real opinion of this, I'd like to ask if there are any precedents for this kind of hoax? This type of behavior seems to me to be something that might be an example of what the police, disguntled at their portrayals in some newspapers, might THINK newsmen capable of, but is it accurate? Are there precedents where newsmen, or anyone else deliberately sought out early editions of papers for the sole reason of firing off a hurried postcard complete with bloodsmears and in an unhurried hand. One might suggest that the use of a postcard shows the haste in which it was done, and I can't argue with that. Yet, when else has this been done prior to the Whitechapel murders?

Cheers,

Mike
              huh?

Comment

• I don't think it'd have to be a member of the press. The double event happened in early a.m. hours of Dec. 30. The postcard wasn't postmarked until October 1. That's more than a full 24 hours available for anyone to have heard details, and people certainly would have talked about it in the East End before the papers came out. Of course members of the press would be more likely to have heard the information, but that's all.

As far as whether it's likely, hoax letters of all sorts have definitely happened in numerous cases, but if you're specifically looking for examples prior to the Whitechapel Murders the documentation is a little thin once you get that far back.

Dan Norder
                Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

• Dan,

Yeah, I lean to the hoax thing, but I'm not really sure why except that Bulling's name always crops up. It does seem that the Whitechapel murders set the precedence for hoaxes, doesn't it? I'm just starting to reexamine my thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

• Hi all,

Announcing that we're recording today after being off last weekend. Topic is the 'double event', and we'll be gathering around us such luminaries as Chris Scott and Gareth Williams, to name just two.

Look for it within the next 24 hours in your podcast stream, and I'll start a discussion thread for this episode once it is released.

Thanks for listening, and thanks to all those who have participated in the show.

Obviously I couldn't do it without you.

JM

Comment

• Questions for Philip Hutchinson

Hi all,

For the next episode of the podcast, slated to record Sunday 26 October, we've decided to resurrect the 'questions from listeners' Rippercast Outreach Program.

Special Guests Philip Hutchinson, Rob Clack and John Bennett will be joining the show to discuss the Dutfields Yard photograph recently revealed at the US Jack the Ripper Conference.

If you have any questions about the photograph you would like us to ask of our guests, please email the show at rippernet@mac.com and we'll do our best to include your question on the show.

You have until 7pm UK time, 2pmUS-EST Sunday to get your questions submitted.

Stay Tuned and thanks for listening,

JM
                      Last edited by jmenges; 10-23-2008, 03:00 PM. Reason: deadline for questions

Comment

• Hi JM. Oh, go on, get AP Wolf on the programme to discuss the photo too for his comedy value.

Seriously, though, I'm glad you have both John and Rob along to help discuss this as they've both seen the photo in detail, unlike most people.

PHILIP
                        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• November schedule

Hi all,

The podcast took Sunday off, so no new episode will be forthcoming this week.

On 9 November we'll record the 1st of 2 episodes this month on the life and death of Mary Kelly. Part 2 will be on the 16th.

There will be a show recorded on 23 November, then we'll be off the following Sunday for the US Thanksgiving day-weekend.

Today I started a Tumblr blog for the show that will contain further information on episodes, updates and what-not stuff Ripper related. www.rippercast.tumblr.com

This blog will also import my RSS feed from Twitter (jmenges), so if you follow me on Twitter and/or Facebook, some blog posts will be repetitive, but I will add new announcements and posts to the blog often, so check there if you are wondering what's new with the show. Comments about the blog posts on Tumblr are welcome.

Thanks for listening,

JM

Comment

• And further to that last post...

If anyone ever jumps in the water and uses the microblog Twitter www.twitter.com (except DivaKind, Cindy Collins Smith aka 'ripperlady' and Howard Brown ) you can find the podcast Tweets via username 'rippercast', and not 'jmenges' http://twitter.com/rippercast . Since these updates are going direct to the blog, I had to separate the podcast from the personal twitter account.

That is all.

JM
                            Last edited by jmenges; 11-04-2008, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• Tomorrow's podcast...MJK part 2

Hi all,

Tomorrow we'll record part 2 of the Life and Death of Mary Jane Kelly. Discussion will attempt to focus on myths & legends, facts & fictions. Along with answering listener questions spawned from last week's episode, we'll be collecting questions for this week.

A special guest joining the podcast tomorrow will be Simon Wood.

Along with the usual suspects, plus some extras.

Get your questions or comments into rippernet@mac.com, or send me a PM.

You have until Sunday 16 November @ 7pmUK/2pmUSEST to get in touch.

Thanks for listening!

JM

Comment

• Audience participation in the next episode...

Hi all,

Episode 38, to record Sunday 11 January, will be focused on eliminating the "popular" suspects who just do not belong. Rippercast is soliciting listener input for this topic.

The suspects listed on the Casebook Suspect page are as follows:

Prince Albert Victor
                                Joseph Barnett
                                Alfred Napier Blanchard
                                W.H. Bury
                                Lewis Carroll
                                David Cohen
                                Dr. T. Neill Cream
                                Frederick Deeming
                                Montague John Druitt
                                Carl Feigenbaum
                                Fogelma
                                George Hutchinson (Br.)
                                Hyam Hyams
                                Jill the Ripper
                                James Kelly
                                Severin Klosowski (George Chapman)
                                Aaron Kosminski
                                Jacob Levy
                                The Lodger
                                James Maybrick
                                Michael Ostrog
                                Dr. Pedachenko
                                The Royal Conspiracy
                                Walter Sickert
                                James Kenneth Stephen
                                R. DŽOnston Stephenson
                                Alois Szemeredy
                                Francis Thompson
                                Francis Tumblety
                                Nicholas Vassily
                                Dr. John Williams

Why in the world are all of these names listed? Which ones can we safely remove for all eternity from this list? Are there names that we need to add, just so we can absolve them? Which suspects should go, and which should stay, and Why?

Please feel free to discuss this topic here, via PM or email me your ideas at rippernet@mac.com

Listener input will be read and included in the show.

You have until Sunday, 11 Jan, 2pmESTUS, 7pmGMT to submit your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks,

Stay Tuned

JM

Comment

Working...
                                X