No announcement yet.

channel five documentry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to a link from Howard Brown, and the miracle of the internet, I've just watched the first episode. Of all the documentaries about JtR (and, believe me, I've seen them all) this was, by far, the best. There were virtually no factual errors, the commentators were excellent, and the CGIs were first-rate. Can't wait to see the next part.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmajester View Post
      Thought it had some good moments, a few little mistakes though, when they started on The Double Event, they said it took place on September 20th and a few other little things. However it did not detract from the otherwise excellent narrative.

Got chills down the spine, many times, looking at all the old streets, beautifully recreated with CGI. Quite spooky and am looking forward to next week.
      I am sure we must have misheard that, Paul Begg is not going to make a mistake like that!
      In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Hi All,

Loved the documentary and the CGI stuff was brilliant. Grand job!!!

The best bit, though - and I know we haven't got on in the past (which is a real pity) - was Paul Begg's narration, both in delivery and in the written narrative.

This documentary is similar in style to the famous 1973 BBC drama/documentary which is a real plus.

Also, our very own Whitechapel Society Chairman; William Beadle was in it and was the real star find. We are so proud of you Bill!!!

If any of you wish to see the first episode, please click on the link below:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Another great factor was the superb filming of modern-day Whitechapel. Well done Jeff!!!

Can't wait until the next part. Keep up the good work lads and lassies!

ADRIAN.
        (Editor: Whitechapel Society Journal)
        Hello

Comment

Gushing but justified, Adrian.

Well done everybody involved in this film.
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Just watched it on catch up.It was good to see a straight forward account of event rather than speculation, and the victims not portrayed as young glamour pusses. The CGI was good in the street reconstruction but as people have commented, it was far too clean and i was almost blinded by the Daz white brillance of the men's shirts and women's aprons. Some costume details were wrong. There were too many bonnets from the 1850s, that cover the sides of face.The bonnet as wore in the 1880s was perched on top of the head [[hairstyles were worn up}with ribbon coming down the side of the head, The original SALVATION ARMY bonnet is exactly from the 1880s.
            Good effort, Part two will be interesting.
            Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
              I am sure we must have misheard that, Paul Begg is not going to make a mistake like that!
              Just watched this again and he definitely says, 20th September.

Comment

Hi,
                I missed it live, but caught up with it during the week.
                My opinion. very clever, in regard to the scenery, however did not do it for me, I guess I am too long in the tooth on the subject.
                The Acting was not authentic, the words were spoken without conviction,
                And we all know one, or two, errors were present.
                The fact is commercially it would have given newcomers an insight, but not the long servers of this case ie, on Casebook.
                If only someone could present something new ... but do we ask for the impossible?.
                Regards Richard.

Comment

This probably isn't the place to discuss it but everything I have ever read on the subject says that the nearest street light to the Bucks Row event was on the corner of Brady Street, yet the film showed two extra lights actually down Bucks Row

Comment

Hello Richard,

I am going to wait until the 2nd part of this presentation has been done to comment fully upon it.
                    However, with regards to your comments about "something new"... the trouble with that is that the theory of one mad lone killer, linked to Sir MM and his little essay, is so entrenched and interwoven into Ripperworld, that even presenting a new named single suspect faces overwhelming odds from the start.
                    Let's face it, if something were presented for example, to disentangle the mess of the 5 victims and that say Stride was NOT a "Ripper" victim, then we have the scenario of TWO murderers. That is unpalitable for many, even to consider, who even today argue vehemently against it. It is bad enough having ONE unnamed killer...but TWO?? Therefore it would be shot down quicker than John Wayne's worst film enemy.
                    Take it a step "further away" from the scenario of a lone killer, by introducing possibilities that even fewer consider, then it will be (sadly) soundly trashed.

Ask the impossible? No. But to get the long servers of Casebook and Ripperworld to accept a longer possibility?.... well.. thereby hangs the tail.
                    Blinkered is a term I use rarely, but sometimes I feel that some are too used to running with the blinkers on.

You see...if the answers to all the problems is a simple solution, and that we shouldn't over investigate and dissect... then why isn't the obvious answer to many of the problems staring us straight in the face? The answers, to my mind at least, are that perhaps it could just be a darn sight more involved and difficult than the simple possible answers give us. If the simple solution isnt the answer..it must be more complicated.

Ahh...but then you get the age-old. worn out cry of "conspiracy" to anything that could be seen as not to "conform" with the presented views of 122 years and dear old Sir MM's gang of three. That, to my mind, is blinkered thought. I've been there, tried it and bought the T-Shirt in various sizes. Conclusion? No evidence for any of them. The T-shirt doesn't fit, no matter the size.

I do believe someone will present something new in the foreseeable future. Just watch the hawks swoop....Kosminski and Druitt MUST thrive on. We are not allowed to believe anything else is a possibility. Or we are branded "conspiracy makers" "fact benders" "believe too much in the written word of the Press" (who are apparently TOTALLY unreliable unless it is picked out to suit a theory that fits...) or just "nutters".

I look forward to Part 2. I hope not, but fear, the promotion of a prime suspect called Kosminski.

Hope all is well with you Richard.

best wishes as always

Phil
                    Last edited by Phil Carter; 01-17-2011, 01:31 AM.
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

• I just watched it again too and, the first time, Begg definitely says 20th. An inexplicable but, given the overall quality of the production, minor, mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                        This probably isn't the place to discuss it but everything I have ever read on the subject says that the nearest street light to the Bucks Row event was on the corner of Brady Street, yet the film showed two extra lights actually down Bucks Row
                        The lighting depicted is correct Lechmere.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                          I just watched it again too and, the first time, Begg definitely says 20th. An inexplicable but, given the overall quality of the production, minor, mistake.
                          A mere slip o' the tongue, he immediately stated the date correctly only moments later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                            Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            The lighting depicted is correct Lechmere.

Monty
                            Here is the map with lamps shown as used by Jake for reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bucks row.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	661523

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                              I look forward to Part 2. I hope not, but fear, the promotion of a prime suspect called Kosminski.
                              Paul and I fought against TV company 'wisdom' to ensure that no suspect mentioned got put forward as a 'prime suspect'.

JB

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                                You see...if the answers to all the problems is a simple solution, and that we shouldn't over investigate and dissect... then why isn't the obvious answer to many of the problems staring us straight in the face? The answers, to my mind at least, are that perhaps it could just be a darn sight more involved and difficult than the simple possible answers give us. If the simple solution isnt the answer..it must be more complicated.
                                Morning Phil,

This is not really the place for it, but briefly, the 'problems' to which I suspect you refer are mainly in the eye of the beholder, and for those of us who don't see them the simple solution is very much the answer and need not be any more complicated.

A serial offender, responsible for many, if not most of the WM, gives us the simplest explanation by far for our collective inability to have found a solution yet. Any scenario other than a stranger, with no discernible connection to any of the murders, attacking for no tangible motive until he stops or is stopped, is more likely to have provided us with a solution by now.

So the one and only problem I see is that we have no identity for this man and no way of discovering it beyond doubt. If we did, I imagine the 'problems' you see now would simply dissolve into thin air. So much would become crystal clear.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                                X