No announcement yet.

channel five documentry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think as a documentary made by actual enthusiasts of the case, they are ignoring myths and legends in favor of actual facts. Or at least I hope they are. If what's missing is exploitation and sensationalism, all to the good.

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Hi Ally,

I'm not sure if the actors and actresses were professionals or amateurs, but I suspect mainly the latter, and to be fair they were really only on a par with the standard of acting I've seen in most other Ripper documentaries, which is always a bit hammy in my opinion. It was better than quite a few I've seen. Some of the actors and actresses were pretty good; it was just a bit hit and miss. Whether or not more direction would have helped, I don't know, perhaps, but I think they acquitted themselves reasonably well overall, and as I said, I came close to shedding a tear or two when I watched the last few recorded moments of the victims' lives, so they must have been doing something right.

I mentioned the fact that they did look very much like the characters they portrayed, simply because I get so fed up with seeing documentaries and films where they have made no effort at all to get a similarity. It's sheer laziness. They shove a red feather boa around an extra's neck, a gin bottle in their hand, bundle them onto the set and start filming - so it made a nice change to see that they had taken trouble to get it right. They had obviously put a lot of effort into it, which always scores high marks with me.

Anyway, the threads always here once you've seen it to have a got old rant.

Lots of love

Janie

xxxxx
      I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Unfortunately for those of us on this side of the world, it can't be viewed on Five's website. I'm hoping they release it over here in the US on one of the cable networks.

Comment

That should have been 'good old rant'. I must remember to take more water with it.

Hugs

Janie
          xxxxx
          I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Seen it all now,generally very impressed,facts,settings,etc........But...I'm afraid it's the actors...Far too clean clothes in some cases....spoke like they were reading from an auto-cue...moved like Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins......

Comment

Actors

Hi all

A few words to clarify the points being raised regarding the acting in the documentary. Really, there are two matters to take into consideration, those being TIME and MONEY.

The programme was produced using a very tight budget indeed and the time given by Channel 5 for completion after taking it on was in many people's opinion, unrealistically quick.

Most of the big parts were taken on by professional actors, however we used many friends and acquaintances as extras, just because of the constraints mentioned above. In some cases, where things went wrong, we had to use a non-professional for a role that perhaps demanded more than just the abilities of the 'man from the off-licence' (to quote Monty Python).

For example, the day we filmed the bulk of the Annie Chapman scenes, we discovered that the actress chosen hadn't checked her e-mails for over a week and didn't know we were filming. Cue a mad dash looking for somebody to take her place with only about an hour or two's notice. Fortunately, Diane Leamouth (one of our extras) was on hand and she graciously became Annie. And she looked the part, I have to say, but was NOT an actress. That was the case with several characters.

Trying to find people with the right look was a tough task. We wanted our actors to look like the real people as much as possible and this was sometimes impossible. In the end, I think we did bloody well. Wait till you see John Littlechild or John Kelly, for example.

In any case, I hope that furnishes people with a little insight into the actor situation. I was partly responsible for getting these people in for the early stages of the production and believe you me, it was INCREDIBLY stressful.

JB

Comment

I was quite content with the acting--I saw it less as 'acting' and more as what it seemed intended as--just reconstruction. To that extent, acting ability is rather less important, and I think we've all seen a full range of reasonably competent actors disport themselves in LVP costume. I didn't see this documentary as being in competition with them--it was trying to do something entirely different. Not having a suspect-driven agenda removes a lot of the imperative to dramatise, I suppose. For me, it feels different because it wasn't really plot/narrative driven, so I suppose it's only natural to start noticing 2D 'acting' or a lack of horse manure and orange peel strewn through the streets. None of which troubled me in the slightest.

And, as to what John Bennett just said about Channel 5--a friend of mine is making a small docu-drama series commissioned by them and reports the same sort of nightmares. It took them over a year to make up their minds and then wanted everything done in 4 months; utterly implausible. So, grr to C5 (not meant to be a pun) and kudos to the team on this.
                best,

claire

Comment

Under those circumstances..Bloody Great!.....BTW,what was the source for Jack's knife.....Looked very much like an 18thcent Trade scalper to me......?

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                    Hi all

A few words to clarify the points being raised regarding the acting in the documentary. Really, there are two matters to take into consideration, those being TIME and MONEY.

The programme was produced using a very tight budget indeed and the time given by Channel 5 for completion after taking it on was in many people's opinion, unrealistically quick.

Most of the big parts were taken on by professional actors, however we used many friends and acquaintances as extras, just because of the constraints mentioned above. In some cases, where things went wrong, we had to use a non-professional for a role that perhaps demanded more than just the abilities of the 'man from the off-licence' (to quote Monty Python).

For example, the day we filmed the bulk of the Annie Chapman scenes, we discovered that the actress chosen hadn't checked her e-mails for over a week and didn't know we were filming. Cue a mad dash looking for somebody to take her place with only about an hour or two's notice. Fortunately, Diane Leamouth (one of our extras) was on hand and she graciously became Annie. And she looked the part, I have to say, but was NOT an actress. That was the case with several characters.

Trying to find people with the right look was a tough task. We wanted our actors to look like the real people as much as possible and this was sometimes impossible. In the end, I think we did bloody well. Wait till you see John Littlechild or John Kelly, for example.

In any case, I hope that furnishes people with a little insight into the actor situation. I was partly responsible for getting these people in for the early stages of the production and believe you me, it was INCREDIBLY stressful.

JB
                    Completely understand, CGI is a lot of money, it wasn't going to look like Rovert Downey Jr's Sherlock Holmes .

I thought the woman who played Annie Chapman did VERY well, it tugged on my heart strings seeing her leave the doss house, miserable and sick, head down. The woman who played Liz Long was the worst - she was probably a stage actress, she overexaggerated everything, was horrendus lol.

Comment

I watched it purely for the location shots and I wasn't disappointed - they were amazing. Congratulations to Channel Five for commissioning and showing it. Regards to all
                      Albert

Comment

Originally posted by Gideon Fell View Post
                        It all appeared quite brightly lit and didn't convey how dark the streets actually were. I can't find a reference for Mrs Long saying that the man she saw was wearing a low crowned felt hat. I thought a deerstalker was mentioned in the papers at the time.
                        Found one yet, Giddy?
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                          I think as a documentary made by actual enthusiasts of the case, they are ignoring myths and legends in favor of actual facts. Or at least I hope they are. If what's missing is exploitation and sensationalism, all to the good.
                          Right.Thats exactly what I thought but I agree with Monty that Jake"s reconstructions are so unique and so brilliantly done that I would have liked to have seen more of Whitechapel 1888 .Maybe next week?
                          Norma

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                            Found one yet, Giddy?
                            Daily Telegraph, 20 September 1888. Thought I'd jump in there...

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                              Right.Thats exactly what I thought but I agree with Monty that Jake"s reconstructions are so unique and so brilliantly done that I would have liked to have seen more of Whitechapel 1888 .Maybe next week?
                              Norma
                              Wait till you see Mitre Square. It's the bee's-knees!

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                                Found one yet, Giddy?
                                Daily Telegraph, 20 September 1888 I believe holds the reference.

PS JB beat Monty to it.

Monty
                                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                                X