Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Covell
    replied
    It's quite a spooky sounding clip almost like something the guys at Most Haunted would present as an EVP!!

I just wonder what else is out there waiting to be found.

Leave a comment:

• George Hutchinson
    replied
    Oh my God! I absolutely love this piece of news. I am staggered. This is amazing, not least because of the BIZARRE method of recording. If it were a few days later I'd say it was a joke (like the Chopin one). I can't wait to hear it!

As the item says, everyone always assumed the first recording was Edison's from 1877. I would presume (without knowing) it still exists somewhere, though I guess is never played to preserve what's left of it? I know the recording you often hear of Edison is one he did many years later (rather like Churchill's war speeches).

Chris - I'm not sure about a recording of Queen Victoria existing. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the short snippet of film that exists of her in a carriage in 1900? I do know one exists of Florence Nightingale. I also know some exist of Sir William Booth, because I have them on a 78 (for those who don't know, 78 rpm discs are another field of interest of mine).

The earliest recorded sound of a concert was made at The Royal Albert Hall a few months before the Ripper murders began. I've heard it, but you can hardly make out anything except a little pitching.

PHILIP

Leave a comment:

• Chris Scott
    replied
    What is the earliest spoken word recording?
    I remember hearing recordings of Florence Nightingale, Oscar Wilde, Tennyson reading from one of his works, and, I think Queen Victoria, but I am not certain about the last.
    Anyone know the earliest surviving spoken word recording?
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    I recall a similar "scoop" in a Classical Music magazine (Classic CD) going back to the early 1990s. They had the invention down to a certain "Hyppolite Sot", and purported to have reconstructed a recording of Chopin playing his own "Minute Waltz" in 58 seconds, and were to release this historic recording on CD. Interestingly, the serial number of the CD was something like "XOHA-01/04/92" - which, if you're into anagrams and are familiar with the British convention for writing dates, ought to give you a clue as to where this idea really came from. Now, how many days left in March?

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    started a topic Earlist recorded sound.

Earlist recorded sound.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Phil Hutchinson singing Au Clare de la lune apparently. 1860.

Monty

PS Earliest, before any of the spelling Fuzz start.
    Last edited by Monty; 03-28-2008, 03:04 PM. Reason: Cant spel nuffink
Working...
X