In search of something good to watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by APerno View Post
    I am a retired school teacher; I took my students (or I should say they took me) to Europe several times. Three different times we did the Ripper tour in London. One time, and I was shocked that it was as late as 2008, the tour guide was still selling the kids on Sir William Gull, and the Royal Conspiracy theory. I had to be polite and keep my mouth shut, didn't want to act the ugly American. The other two experiences were much better.

P.S. You know that horror house thing they have (or had) down by The Tower Bridge, boy did that suck! But of course the kids liked it. I tried to get the kids to go instead to Madam Tussauds' Wax Museum, but they wanted the horror house instead. I never did get to see the wax museum, I hear they have a JTR Room, Is that true?
    Apparently there’s a ripper exhibit in Tussaud’s Horror Room but I’ve never been because you can die of malnutrition and dehydration waiting in the enormous queues that are always outside. I did go to the London Dungeon a few years ago and the Ripper exhibition though. There’s also the Ripper Museum where you can go and see photographs of random Victorian women that are claimed as the victims of Jack.

The Ripper Walks vary from guide to guide. Some are just pretty much reciting a script and a slightly ‘tricky’ question can often leave them floundering. I’ve been on around 8 or 9 when friends have wanted to go and unsurprisingly I found found Don Rumbelow the best. The last one I went on was with author and co-author with Paul Begg John Bennett. He was very good. Unfortunately you only really visit one murder site now and that’s changed almost beyond recognition.

Someone should do a CGI Ripper Tour.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Apparently there’s a ripper exhibit in Tussaud’s Horror Room but I’ve never been because you can die of malnutrition and dehydration waiting in the enormous queues that are always outside. I did go to the London Dungeon a few years ago and the Ripper exhibition though. There’s also the Ripper Museum where you can go and see photographs of random Victorian women that are claimed as the victims of Jack.

The Ripper Walks vary from guide to guide. Some are just pretty much reciting a script and a slightly ‘tricky’ question can often leave them floundering. I’ve been on around 8 or 9 when friends have wanted to go and unsurprisingly I found found Don Rumbelow the best. The last one I went on was with author and co-author with Paul Begg John Bennett. He was very good. Unfortunately you only really visit one murder site now and that’s changed almost beyond recognition.

Someone should do a CGI Ripper Tour.
      Yes on the CGI, I loved the recreations of the murder sites in that recent documentary; on one of the tours we did, I believe (but not sure) I could see Rmbelow's group gathering in a different section of Mitre Square. I thought damn that's the one I want, but we were with EF Tours and they arrange the tours based on what is best for their economics and I suspect our guy came a lot cheaper than Rumbelow.)

Comment

I'm still waiting for the augmented reality tour to become a thing, where everyone holds up their phone to see VR recreations of the victorian street superimposed on the modern site. I'm pretty sure I suggested it years ago, why is it taking so long?

Comment

They probably already have it, they're just not telling us about it. When I was a kid they promised by the year 2000 we would have flying cars, now I am pretty sure General Motors is hiding all of them on an island somewhere in the Pacific; retooling is expensive, you'll be cutting into profits; Rumbelow is probably the guy stopping it from getting out.

Comment

Originally posted by APerno View Post

I downloaded for free, but it was not an illegal boot, I got a good HD copy from one of the streaming services (I just can't remember which one: Netflix or Hulu, or something). It was strange, I downloaded it, and it stayed on my device for two weeks before I got around to watching it, but once I started to watch it, it warned me I had to complete the watch within 72 hours and then it self destructed (erased itself.)
            If it was from Netflix or Hulu then it was not free. You already paid for the streaming, and you were allowed to download for offline viewing. If it self-destructs you can download it again.

Comment

Originally posted by YomRippur View Post

If it was from Netflix or Hulu then it was not free. You already paid for the streaming, and you were allowed to download for offline viewing. If it self-destructs you can download it again.
              Yea you are right - it was Hulu; I did pay indirectly ... the graphic recreations were wonderful brought to life the murder scenes/19th century London, the narrative wasn't really anything new.

Comment

Working...
              X