George Hutchinson Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    I'm always wary that posters are not unintentionally creating a mystery where none exists.

A prostitutes normal working hours are overnight, they then spend all morning in bed. In fact this was also noted in the press. An account attributed to McCarthy said the early morning is the best time to catch 'them' in to get his rent, as they are mostly asleep after a nights work.

What is the mystery, the fact she is touting for money over night, or the precise time of 2:00?
    She was seen after all at 10:00 pm the night before, also at 11:45 with Blotchy, at 2:00 then again at 3:00.
    What is the mystery?
    And of course, if the filthy rich are constantly trying to make more money than they could ever need, why is that some think a woman in Kelly's circumstances wouldn't get out of bed in the hope of borrowing sixpence?

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• I don't recall Hutchinson saying Kelly kissed anyone...can someone refresh my memory please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
        I don't recall Hutchinson saying Kelly kissed anyone...can someone refresh my memory please.
        What RJ said was that most prostitutes do not kiss their clients.
        This is an example of what happens, a poster miss-quotes something, and then argues against it.
        The problem is, they don't get it right in the first place.
        (Sorry RJ, but that's what we have here)

Hutchinson said that Astrachan gave Kelly a kiss. Not that they kissed each other, or that Kelly kissed Astrachan.
        Those are three different scenario's.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Why would Mary Jane Kelly, who boasted her own room and a more than generous line of credit from her slum landlord, John McCarthy, allegedly experience a sudden 2.00 am urge to venture onto Commercial Street to borrow sixpence?
          No effing idea, Simon. Some women, eh? More money than sense.

Comment

What RJ said was that most prostitutes do not kiss their clients.
            This is an example of what happens, a poster miss-quotes something, and then argues against it.
            The problem is, they don't get it right in the first place.
            (Sorry RJ, but that's what we have here)

Hutchinson said that Astrachan gave Kelly a kiss. Not that they kissed each other, or that Kelly kissed Astrachan.
            Those are three different scenario's.
            You're quibbling, Wick. Was it on the cheek? Did she turn her head away? Or did she stretch her neck up to meet him?

We don't know, because Hutchinson wasn't explicit.

A kiss was exchanged at the entrance to the court, and thus I stick to my guns.

I don't believe the scene Hutchinson is describing can be properly interpreted as a stereotypical meeting between an East End streetwalker and a client at 2.30 a.m. I think it shows familiarity.

The fact that she didn't immediately solicit him for six pence is a rather weak peg on which to hang your hat.

But different people interpret things differently. That's why we debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              so if you beleive all the witnesses we have kelly seeing Barnett, blotchy (and doing more back in her room with him), Hutch, Aman (and doing more back in her room with him), then out again meeting wicks guy (who is he again? what are we calling him-Brittania man?) until what four? five? in the morning, then back up at (or still up)8:00am yacking from too much drink and then shortly out again to the pub with Maxwells man (and presumably back to her room for more) and murdered by him?!?

what is she some kind of machine? is any of this realistic?

no, of course its not-and the later you go in the sequence the more likely people are lying or mistaken.
              Takes me back to my own twenties, Abby.

No, not remotely realistic.

Love,

Caz
              X

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

You're quibbling, Wick. Was it on the cheek? Did she turn her head away? Or did she stretch her neck up to meet him?

We don't know, because Hutchinson wasn't explicit.

A kiss was exchanged at the entrance to the court, and thus I stick to my guns.
                Sorry RJ, but if it says "he gave her a kiss", then that is what happened (we can leave aside 'truth' for the moment).
                We must argue the case with the actual written word, not what we choose to replace it with.
                Hutch didn't say 'Kelly kissed him', neither did he say 'They kissed each other', if sticking to the correct terminology is quibbling then, I quibble.

Hutchinson's command of English is quite satisfactory - Astrachan kissed Kelly, and yes, considering the strict social standards observed in Victorian England, I do expect he kissed her on the cheek.

I don't believe the scene Hutchinson is describing can be properly interpreted as a stereotypical meeting between an East End streetwalker and a client at 2.30 a.m. I think it shows familiarity.

The fact that she didn't immediately solicit him for six pence is a rather weak peg on which to hang your hat.

But different people interpret things differently. That's why we debate.
                Indeed, though I didn't take you up on that specific issue, I wasn't sure how to respond - it seemed a stretch to me to be honest, that they were playing a game with each other?

The fact Kelly didn't get straight to the point with Astrachan strongly suggests, to me, that she didn't know him. Nor did she expect to be entertained/accosted by one of his class.

I still have not seen what ever it was that Richard meant.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  so if you beleive all the witnesses we have kelly seeing Barnett, blotchy (and doing more back in her room with him), Hutch, Aman (and doing more back in her room with him), then out again meeting wicks guy (who is he again? what are we calling him-Brittania man?) until what four? five? in the morning, then back up at (or still up)8:00am yacking from too much drink and then shortly out again to the pub with Maxwells man (and presumably back to her room for more) and murdered by him?!?

what is she some kind of machine? is any of this realistic?

no, of course its not-and the later you go in the sequence the more likely people are lying or mistaken.
                  Thats not a lot of business for a nights work, of course I don't believe she was around after say 3:30, so Maxwell & M.Lewis are just mistaken. But, one hour is possibly the most time Kelly would give to a client she brings to her room.

Kelly was reported with a well-dressed gent in the Britannia somewhere around 10-11 pm Thursday night.
                  Then with Blotchy from what 11:45 - 1:00am?
                  Next is Astrachan from 2:00-3:00ish, Britannia-man from a little after 3:00ish until she is killed.

She was doing fine up to that point.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• You must remember this
                    A kiss is just a kiss
                    A sigh is just a sigh
                    The fundamental things apply
                    As time goes by

c.d.

Comment

Thats not a lot of business for a nights work, of course I don't believe she was around after say 3:30, so Maxwell & M.Lewis are just mistaken. But, one hour is possibly the most time Kelly would give to a client she brings to her room.

Kelly was reported with a well-dressed gent in the Britannia somewhere around 10-11 pm Thursday night.
                      Then with Blotchy from what 11:45 - 1:00am?
                      Next is Astrachan from 2:00-3:00ish, Britannia-man from a little after 3:00ish until she is killed.

She was doing fine up to that point.
                      Hi Jon

I've been reading some of your previous posts on Britannia-man, and agree he could be a worthwhile suspect.

I found this posting from Police Gazette (23 November, 1888) with an arrest warrant for a Joseph Bamford who has a similar description to Britannia-man :

"JOSEPH BAMFORD, age 35, height about 5 ft. 6 in., complexion pale, hair and moustache light brown, eyes ( sore and no eyelashes) grey, thin features, large sharp nose ; dress, dark overcoat, dark cloth suit, black felt hat. Warrant issued. Information to Supt. Nay lor, Oakmere, Northwich. WANTED"

Would be interesting to find out more about Joseph Bamford

Craig

Comment

• Well Jon,you above everyone else is constantly asking that claims be proven.Now here you are defending Hutchinson without proof of anything he says,except his being outside Crossinghams.So a person walks from Manchester to London.What relationship is that.The question is not whether Hutchinson could walk from Romford to Whitechapel,but whether he did that particular night.As to whether Aberline had investigated the story Hutchinson gave before giving an opinion of honesty,it might be noted that it was given soon after the interview with Hutchinson had terminated,in a report to Aberlines superiors.What was lacking in any investigation that might have been undertaken,was the absence of the two principal witnesses,Kelly and the companion,for there seems to be no one else involved,and no other person came forward except Lewis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig H View Post

Hi Jon

I've been reading some of your previous posts on Britannia-man, and agree he could be a worthwhile suspect.

I found this posting from Police Gazette (23 November, 1888) with an arrest warrant for a Joseph Bamford who has a similar description to Britannia-man :

"JOSEPH BAMFORD, age 35, height about 5 ft. 6 in., complexion pale, hair and moustache light brown, eyes ( sore and no eyelashes) grey, thin features, large sharp nose ; dress, dark overcoat, dark cloth suit, black felt hat. Warrant issued. Information to Supt. Nay lor, Oakmere, Northwich. WANTED"

Would be interesting to find out more about Joseph Bamford

Craig
                          Thankyou for that Craigh, someone worth investigating.
                          Are you able to post a clip from the Gazette?
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                            Well Jon,you above everyone else is constantly asking that claims be proven.
                            If you are referring to modern accusations against Hutchinson, yes of course some proof should be required.
                            Without proof, anyone can (and does) invent anything they choose to accuse him of without reasonable justification.

Now here you are defending Hutchinson without proof of anything he says,except his being outside Crossinghams.
                            Accusations require proof, Hutchinson is a witness he never did have to prove anything.
                            All Abberline would need is some indication he was present when & where he said he was. Sarah Lewis provided that. A simple pocket-book from the constable on duty Sunday morning would do likewise. I don't know if the Romford police station, or perhaps post office had telegraph, but it only takes minutes to send Romford a telegram to have a constable check with the people where ever Hutch said he was staying.
                            What on earth Romford has to do with a murder investigation is probably the more interesting question - you might be able to answer that one.

So a person walks from Manchester to London.What relationship is that.The question is not whether Hutchinson could walk from Romford to Whitechapel,but whether he did that particular night.
                            Others have claimed it was too far.

As to whether Aberline had investigated the story Hutchinson gave before giving an opinion of honesty,it might be noted that it was given soon after the interview with Hutchinson had terminated,in a report to Aberlines superiors.
                            How many hours later?
                            Points I listed would barely take two hours.
                            How long to send a cab to Great Pearl street to talk again with Sarah Lewis?
                            Abberline could easily have written the memo to his superiors before midnight.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Thankyou for that Craigh, someone worth investigating.
                              Are you able to post a clip from the Gazette?
                              Attached is screenshot.

British Newspapers Archive doesn't have copies of Police Gazette from 1888.

However, www.lastchancetoread.com does.

You can purchase the copy for 2 pound.

The screenshot shows the text from the Police Gazette of 23 November 1888 (Volume 5, issue 512). The text is :

"For embezzling 45 pound gold & silver, JOSEPH BAMFORD, age 35, height about 5 ft. 6 in., complexion pale, hair and moustache light brown, eyes ( sore and no eyelashes) grey, thin features, large sharp nose ; dress, dark overcoat, dark cloth suit, black felt hat. Warrant issued. Information to Supt. Naylor, Oakmere, Northwich. WANTED"

This seems similar to description of man described by Gardner & Best.

Not sure when the crime occurred in Oakmere, as this is close to time of Ripper murders.

Craig

Attached Files

Comment

• Lets be logical
                                According to Lottie [ court resident] Kelly was paranoid about going out alone, she liked the company of people she trusted,, she remarked to Mrs McCarthy the previous day , that she heard the killer was ripe in the area , yet we are supposed to believe that she allowed a well dressed man , complete with small parcel to proposition her.? and accompany her back to her room in the middle of the night.
                                I put it to you , that at the very least she knew this man, maybe not used to seeing him in smart attire, but she did not fear him,.
                                Of course if Hutch was lying he did not exist, But I believe his account .
                                Mary Kelly a woman paranoid , having had a nightmare she was being murdered , would she venture out alone in the middle of the night, and carry on playing out a scene where she allows someone dressed straight out of 'The Penny Dreadful' to accost her without reservations, I would say No.
                                Let me run another scenario by you,
                                What If Astrakhan met Hutchinson , and asked him did he know the woman known as Kelly from Millers court, He replied 'yes' I was supposed to meet her earlier, but got held up., could you accompany me to Dorset street Its not the kind of street where its safe to walk dressed in these clothes,
                                Hutch went up the court tapped the door,, and informed Kelly that a man was waiting for her in the street, that was supposed to meet her earlier,, she came out, and talked to the man , whilst Hutch stood nearby,.
                                We should remember that a few hours earlier she was seen wearing a jacket and bonnet. she was obviously out to impress, and she appeared to have returned home to dress down as Mrs Cox describes her wearing different clothing.
                                Did the man get held up, and she believed she had been let down.? making my scenario possible,
                                Regards Richard

Comment

Working...
                                X