Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi wick
    when I said 'newspaper tattle" i meant errors, embellishments AND invention, sorry if I wasnt clear. just basically newspaper BS.
    Ah, sorry, I felt sure you used that to mean pure inventions.

But anyway, I can see your mental gears firing up for the mental gymnastics to make aldbrook the one being there and the more important witness, which means you have some bigger reason for it. What gives? just cut to the chase please. : )
    Nah, your multivarious mental mechanisms are in overdrive

I honestly don't know what to make of Albrook, I've no doubt she's real - so I'm not going down that path.
    I'm pretty sure I found an Albrook in the census, but I can't find any notes to that effect.
    Sorry to disappoint, but this one has me flummoxed.

--------------

It could be we are misunderstanding the context.

The Coroner already knows Harvey was there, he has her police statement, but he may not know about Albrook, her statement was only in the press.

So, the coroner asked Barnett if there was anyone else there, which Barnett confirms there was a woman (Harvey) who lived in the court, he apparently didn't know her name.

So, Harvey was already with Kelly when Barnett called, she was probably there from near 7:00pm.
    Barnett arrived about 7:30.
    Sometime after 7:30, Harvey left the room.
    While Barnett was alone with Kelly, this young woman Lizzie Albrook came for a brief few minutes, then left before Barnett.
    Albrook made a fleeting visit of mere minutes, which is why Barnett didn't mention her.
    Then Barnett leaves about 7:45.

I think that is probably the most likely explanation.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

I honestly don't know what to make of Albrook, I've no doubt she's real - so I'm not going down that path.
      I'm pretty sure I found an Albrook in the census, but I can't find any notes to that effect.

--------------

The Coroner already knows Harvey was there, he has her police statement, but he may not know about Albrook, her statement was only in the press.

So, the coroner asked Barnett if there was anyone else there, which Barnett confirms there was a woman (Harvey) who lived in the court, he apparently didn't know her name.

So, Harvey was already with Kelly when Barnett called, she was probably there from near 7:00pm.
      While Barnett was alone with Kelly, this young woman Lizzie Albrook came for a brief few minutes, then left before Barnett.
      Albrook made a fleeting visit of mere minutes, which is why Barnett didn't mention her.

fair enough, and not a bad explanation. thanks wick

Comment

--------------

But Barnett knew her name and referred to her by name? plus she did not live at the court, she gave a different address.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

But Barnett knew her name and referred to her by name? plus she did not live at the court, she gave a different address.
          Do you have the quote where he uses her name?
          I can't find one, and I have a dozen or so press accounts plus the Court Record.

As for Harvey living in the court, perhaps you missed a couple of posts?
          It's only speculation, but see what you think.
          Post #54 - https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...437#post793437
          Post #57 - https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...444#post793444

So, assuming the above speculation explains why Barnett thought she lived in the court, then I go with what you just read in post #76.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Do you have the quote where he uses her name?
            I can't find one, and I have a dozen or so press accounts plus the Court Record.

As for Harvey living in the court, perhaps you missed a couple of posts?
            It's only speculation, but see what you think.
            Post #54 - https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...437#post793437
            Post #57 - https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...444#post793444

So, assuming the above speculation explains why Barnett thought she lived in the court, then I go with what you just read in post #76.
            Thank you.
            it’s Penny illustrated paper, nov. 17:

“We lived comfortably until Marie allowed a prostitute named Julia to sleep in the same room. I objected; and as Mrs. Harvey afterwards came and stayed there, I left her”

Times and S James Gazette:
            “Harvey, however, took a room in New court, on the same street, but remained friendly with the unfortunate woman, who visited her in New court on Thursday night.“
            plus she gave her address at the inquest as New Court

Of course, Barnett could have been unaware of it. Still, I think it trumps speculation

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

Thank you.
              it’s Penny illustrated paper, nov. 17:

“We lived comfortably until Marie allowed a prostitute named Julia to sleep in the same room. I objected; and as Mrs. Harvey afterwards came and stayed there, I left her”
              Thankyou, yes but that was published on the 17th, it doesn't say he knew her name as he gave his testimony on the 12th.
              He obviously learned her name as she stood to give evidence after him, on the same day.

Times and S James Gazette:
              “Harvey, however, took a room in New court, on the same street, but remained friendly with the unfortunate woman, who visited her in New court on Thursday night.“
              plus she gave her address at the inquest as New Court

Of course, Barnett could have been unaware of it. Still, I think it trumps speculation
              Yes, we know her current address (current, meaning on the day of the inquest). However, she only moved there after the Tuesday 6th Nov. What we need to know is where was Harvey living before she moved in with Mary.

I also showed how the story about "the victim living upstairs with a boy" in the Saturday press, could be a reflection of Harvey living at No.2 Millers Court, as that is upstairs, and Harvey then moved in with Kelly. So, we have a connection between Harvey, the victim, a boy, room 13, and "upstairs", all in one erroneous newspaper article.

Perhaps you also missed the post#17
              I am trying to make sense of the statements made by Maria Harvey and Lizzie Albrook concerning the evening of 8 November 1888. Both claim to have been with MJK the evening before she was murdered. Both claim to have been with MJK when Joe Barnett arrived to see her. Barnett claims there was a woman with MJK when he visited. So

Where we read that a 6 yr old boy named John Harvey lived at a N0.2 Dorset Court, which may have been a mistyping for Millers Court.
              Also, an account of a woman named Maria Harvey, who had a son named John or the same age as in the previous report, although at that time she did not live in Millers Court.

It's all very speculative, though the connections are not unreasonable.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...362#post793362
                Where we read that a 6 yr old boy named John Harvey lived at a N0.2 Dorset Court, which may have been a mistyping for Millers Court.
                Also, an account of a woman named Maria Harvey, who had a son named John or the same age as in the previous report, although at that time she did not live in Millers Court.

"A 6-year-old boy named John Harvey was injured in a traffic accident in Commercial Street in June, 1888. He was taken to the London Hospital where his address was recorded as 2, Dorset Court, Commercial Street. There doesn’t appear to have been a Dorset Court in Spitalfields, but that was the name given to Millers Court by some newspapers in the aftermath of the Kelly murder.

In addition, Debra Arif found an 1887 (I think) workhouse admission for a laundress/washerwoman named Maria Harvey who had two sons, one a John of the same age as the boy involved in accident. The address this Maria Harvey gave was 12, Station Place - a very interesting address."

In case you haven't seen the original 1887 entry, there was also a younger son with Maria and John named Willam, born 1884.

The only address I've seen for John Harvey came in 1890 -- No. 3 N.E. Passage, which I think was the same common lodging house associated with Pearly Poll, etc.

This is presumably him:

Click image for larger version  Name:	John Harvey.JPG Views:	0 Size:	41.7 KB ID:	793546

Comment

Thankyou RJ, am I allowed to bite, and ask what is interesting about 12 Station Place?
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

But, if you read all the press accounts, they make no distinction between afternoon and evening - like I said, they meant the same for the times we are concerned with.

Daily News:
                    "We were together Thursday evening"

Times:
                    "We were together Thursday afternoon"

Daily Telegraph:
                    "All afternoon we were together".

Echo:
                    "She last saw deceased at five minutes to seven, Thursday evening".

Afternoon - evening are synonymous at 7:00 pm.
                    Not according to the witnesses at the various inquest testimonies who spoke of approx. 7pm. They classed it as evening. I'd infer that at that time, in that place, 7pm was generally deemed to be the evening.

According to The Daily Telegraph, Maria Harvey believes 7pm is in the evening also.

Comment

Thankyou RJ, am I allowed to bite, and ask what is interesting about 12 Station Place?
                      This should help. It was a rough street with a least one brothel:

Station Place, Shadwell - Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century (jtrforums.com)

The location was also associated with the mysterious attack on Emily Edith Smith:

The attack on Emily Edith Smith - 5 Nov 1892 - Casebook: Jack the Ripper Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Barnett
                        "A 6-year-old boy named John Harvey was injured in a traffic accident in Commercial Street in June, 1888. He was taken to the London Hospital where his address was recorded as 2, Dorset Court, Commercial Street. There doesn’t appear to have been a Dorset Court in Spitalfields, but that was the name given to Millers Court by some newspapers in the aftermath of the Kelly murder.

In addition, Debra Arif found an 1887 (I think) workhouse admission for a laundress/washerwoman named Maria Harvey who had two sons, one a John of the same age as the boy involved in accident. The address this Maria Harvey gave was 12, Station Place - a very interesting address."
                        Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
                        In case you haven't seen the original 1887 entry, there was also a younger son with Maria and John named Willam, born 1884.

The only address I've seen for John Harvey came in 1890 -- No. 3 N.E. Passage, which I think was the same common lodging house associated with Pearly Poll, etc.

This is presumably him:

Click image for larger version Name:	John Harvey.JPG Views:	0 Size:	41.7 KB ID:	793546
                        Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                        This is someone I have mentioned in the past as a possible for the Maria Harvey known by MJK. These records and addresses are transcripts I did from St George in the East settlement records

Maria Harvey + William
                        Admitted 22 March 1887
                        ages 32 and 3 , charring, widow.
                        Residence on admission 18 Station Place for 2 yrs
                        Previous residence 25 Mary St 8-9 yrs

admitted 30th March 1887 + John 5 years
                        occupation washing, widow, 32
                        Residence before admission- Casual Ward
                        previous residence 25 Mary St 4 yrs, 18 Station Place 1 yr

Admitted 21st July 1887 Maria, John, William
                        previous residence 18 Station Place 8 or 9 years
                        Admitted Feb 7th 1887 as Mary Harvey with son William ages 32 and 2.5yrs, occupation washing, widow.
                        Residence before admission 6 Back Church Lane 2yrs, 21 Gun Alley 4 yrs.

Here is the research I posted previously on the same woman. The information is similar to the above but taken from the admission and discharge and creed registers for SGE workhouse, rather than the settlement examination book.

In the Raine St workhouse register of admissions and discharges for 4 separate occasions in Feb, March, April and July 1887 there is a Maria Harvey listed born in 1855, she was described as a washerwoman, destitute a Roman Catholic and as well as coming from the casual ward on one occasion she also gives an address of 18 Station Place. This address is repeated in the workhouse creed register. Station Place is just off Cornwall St St George in the East.
                        What's interesting about this Maria Harvey is that she has two sons; John born 1882 and William born 1884.

John appears in other Raine St workhouse records in 1890 where it is mention he has been sent to Leyton Roman Catholic School. Maria was in the SGE Infirmary at the time. I can't seem to find anything else for William.

Over on casebook, poster 'Rosella' mentioned a John Harvey aged six who was run over in Commercial Rd in June 1888. His address was given as Dorset Court, Dorset St Spitalfields.
                        I'm half way through the 1888 settlement book and Maria Harvey and her sons don't appear again in SGE, which we would expect if she had moved on to Whitechapel at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post

Not according to the witnesses at the various inquest testimonies who spoke of approx. 7pm. They classed it as evening. I'd infer that at that time, in that place, 7pm was generally deemed to be the evening.

According to The Daily Telegraph, Maria Harvey believes 7pm is in the evening also.

It isn't a case of numbers.

"Hey, 10 people say evening, only 9 say afternoon, so I win"!

The point is, both terms are used for the same time of day. That is beyond dispute - so 'that' is the point.
                          And, it is a point we need to learn from, not turn a blind eye to.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

This should help. It was a rough street with a least one brothel:

Station Place, Shadwell - Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century (jtrforums.com)

The location was also associated with the mysterious attack on Emily Edith Smith:

The attack on Emily Edith Smith - 5 Nov 1892 - Casebook: Jack the Ripper Forums
                            Thankyou RJ.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

It isn't a case of numbers.

"Hey, 10 people say evening, only 9 say afternoon, so I win"!

The point is, both terms are used for the same time of day. That is beyond dispute - so 'that' is the point.
                              And, it is a point we need to learn from, not turn a blind eye to.
                              As you wish, Jon.

Comment

Thankyou, yes but that was published on the 17th, it doesn't say he knew her name as he gave his testimony on the 12th.
                                He obviously learned her name as she stood to give evidence after him, on the same day.

Yes, we know her current address (current, meaning on the day of the inquest). However, she only moved there after the Tuesday 6th Nov. What we need to know is where was Harvey living before she moved in with Mary.

I also showed how the story about "the victim living upstairs with a boy" in the Saturday press, could be a reflection of Harvey living at No.2 Millers Court, as that is upstairs, and Harvey then moved in with Kelly. So, we have a connection between Harvey, the victim, a boy, room 13, and "upstairs", all in one erroneous newspaper article.

I am trying to make sense of the statements made by Maria Harvey and Lizzie Albrook concerning the evening of 8 November 1888. Both claim to have been with MJK the evening before she was murdered. Both claim to have been with MJK when Joe Barnett arrived to see her. Barnett claims there was a woman with MJK when he visited. So

The reasoning is not unreasonable at all, it's just that we already have sources that seem to explain things without needing to resort to speculation.

You are correct that Barnett's mention of Harvey's name appears to be only in the paper a week later.

Harvey did not live in the court. Barnett says the woman who was with him and MJK did. Ergo, it was not Harvey. You might then argue that Harvey had only recently moved away, perhaps as recently as spending Monday and Tuesday nights at MJK's. Still, it seems pretty simple and non-speculative: Harvey by her own testimony did not live in the court.

The story of MJK having a little boy living with him can be explained in any number of ways and has no explanatory value. There were likely other children in the area.

Comment

Working...
                                X