Witness/Killer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caz View Post

I don't know the answer, but if Joe Barnett could no longer provide for them both, but objected to Mary going on the streets or inviting others back to the room, something was bound to give. Might even have been a mutual parting.
    Originally posted by Prosector View Post

I think it probably was Caz. It had only been a matter of days and neither seems to have made much of an effort to patch things up.
    I think it probably wasn't. How would Barnett's life have improved by leaving Mary?
    On the other hand, "Joe has been a good fellow to me. I shall have to leave him." - sounds like Joe tries hard and has no major moral failings, but has become more of a dead weight than of benefit to her, and it's time to move on.
    It's also possible that Mary received a 'better offer', which really tipped the balance against Joe.

Julia Venturini (her actual name) is an interesting character and, as far as I know, the only person who claimed that MJK had told her that her husband was still alive.
    She is interesting. Her (Daily Telegraph) inquest testimony includes this:

She said she was fond of another man, also named Joe. I never saw this man. I believe he was a costermonger.

It would be reasonable to suppose that she knew this other man was named Joe, because Mary told her - she had never seen him herself.
    However, in the Echo, Nov 12, the picture is a little different:

Coroner: Did she tell you she was fond of another man?
    Venturini: Yes.
    Coroner: Did she tell you his name?
    Venturini: No. But it's a funny thing, his name's Joe, deceased said. I think he was a costermonger, but she did not tell me where he lived.

Did Julia Venturini meet and/or learn the name of 'the other Joe', after the murder?
    Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Thanks for that Fish.

One more question: do you have this one and is it of interest?

Ok, that's two questions.
      I wonder if this is the book from the 19th century about Jack being a doctor who killed in revenge for his son's death, and who later fled to a foreign country?

The book website said something about details that may "suggest police sources", but many contemporary newspaper accounts could be said to have done the same. Perhaps it just collects stories from English papers.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Working...
      X