Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's talking Cobblers ? John Richardson ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But on this occasion, that would involve going over the fence into the yard where Cadosch was standing. Why didn't he ask the same question with regard to the fence between 29 & 31?
    I have a feeling there was a factory occupying the garden space of numbers 31 and 33 (certainly there was at one point, hence the photo taken from the roof, of the back garden of No 29)...it's just I'm not sure exactly when that factory was built!

I'd guess, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, that the fence where Cadosch was standing, represented the only reasonable escape route, barring the front passage to Hanbury Street...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hello Dave. Could be because Dr. Phillips waffled a bit at inquest and admitted he might be in error.
      Hi Lynn

You may well be right...but at least he was an honest witness...unlike some of the Spilsbury/Simpson crap...(especially the former)...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
        Richardson - unreliable

Well how can I dispute that? Undoubtedly so...

Cadosch - unsure

I can't see how you can justify that - he's not claimed to have heard Annie Chapman being murdered - he seems only to have testified, to the best of his knowledge, to what he heard...he admits freely that he initially thought nothing of the noises he'd heard...His timings seem to hold up...

Long - confused

Again I don't get this...she identified Annie Chapman by her face...other witnesses in this series of killings seem to have relied on clothing...she might've been a tad wrong with her timings but this is far from unusual in the LVP...we're so obsessed with time in the modern world, we tend to forget how vague most peoples' timings were back then...

To my mind, tying things in with the medical evidence is the key part...the coroner seemed to favour the witnesses testimony over that of the medic...this seems unusual, (it generally being the other way round I think), and suggests to me that Cadosch and Long came across as pretty compelling witnesses...

So how long does food take to digest, and how much does chill (not extreme cold which delays the onset of rigor) advance rigor mortis...how much was the good doctor relying on body temperature, and how much rigor mortis?

I'm not a medical expert...and elsewhere on Casebook this matter has been done to death...the available medical thinking seems to be totally divided on both issues...so at present your guess is as good as mine...but it remains nothing more than a guess!

All the best

Dave
        The problem with Long is that by her own admission she didn't take a great deal of notice. Why would she? And, I believe there was a delay before she viewed the body. Contrast this with Lawende who did take notice.

At least one of these 'suspects' was not Jack.

In terms of the rigor aspect, it would be unusual were it to have set in in 1 hour 10 minutes on a cold morning.

As ever, it's probabilities. The Dr versus Long, and throw in Cadosh who heard some noises.

I don't think it's even close in terms of which of the two scenarios is more likely, and throw in Jack's penchant for killing in the dark and the Drs time would support Jack's pattern of behaviour.

Cadosh is an interesting one, but really those shounds could have come rom anywhere in the vicinity. It's hard enough to nail them down at the best of times, but when he knows a murder has been committed in No 29, then clearly he makes the connection between the noises and the murder.

Comment

If . . . then - - -

Hello Mac. I think I can agree that, if there WERE a Jack the Ripper, he did not wait until sunup to kill, NOR did he talk loudly next the shutters.

But then again . . .

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Mac. I think I can agree that, if there WERE a Jack the Ripper, he did not wait until sunup to kill, NOR did he talk loudly next the shutters.

But then again . . .

Cheers.
            LC
            Hello Lynn,

Definitely not killing in daylight, but I don't have a problem with talking loudly. I don't think it would have been a concern at all. Providing he wasn't caught red handed then he would have been long gone by the time the police started their search. Personally don't think he'd have cared a jot about having been seen or having been heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
              [B]To my mind, tying things in with the medical evidence is the key part...the coroner seemed to favour the witnesses testimony over that of the medic...this seems unusual, (it generally being the other way round I think), and suggests to me that Cadosch and Long came across as pretty compelling witnesses...
              Wynne Baxter was a lawyer, a solicitor rather; he had little medical experience...Well, he was an amateur botanist and wrote a book on microscopes... Anyway, there was no reason for him to favor the police or Phillips for that matter. He spent much of his time in contention with the police and with Bagster Phillips.

Both Cadosch and Long showed up late in the very extensive inquest and Baxter thought such important witnesses should have been located and brought forth sooner. If my memory serves me right, I think the press found Cadosch before the police did. Its a little strange he didn't just go to the police... he certainly knew about the murder. Long took a while to appear too.
              Best Wishes,
              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

loud

Hello Mac. But would not such loud talking awaken some of the many household members? Would one dare commit a murder in the backyard of a rather large house AFTER arousing some of those inside?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Hello Mac. But would not such loud talking awaken some of the many household members? Would one dare commit a murder in the backyard of a rather large house AFTER arousing some of those inside?

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Hello Lynn,

I suppose it boils down to how loud.

Shouting wouldn't have been prudent.

Interpretation again: talking loudly as in not whispering, or a few more decibels up the scale.

Why exactly would he be shouting when presumably the supposed Annie is in ear shot? I'd guess just a normal conversation?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                    Ditto to that, Lynn.

Its like picking an apple you want from a tree; you shake the limb doing it and a whole bunch more fall around you... and some of 'ums gonna have worms in 'em.
                    and likely come crashing down on your head.

Comment

loud

Hello Mac. Well, loud enough to hear them as she passed by, unconcerned with their business.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Sometime in the late 1800s Queen Victoria made a visit to the East End and stepping out of her coach half way up Brick Lane she broke the heel off one of her shoes. Luckily this happened in front of the shop of a Jewish shoe mender. The owner quickly repaired the shoe and the Queen went on her way. He then wrote on his window 'Cobblers to the Queen' The next day he found someone had written underneath it 'Bollocks to the Chief Rabbi'.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hello Mac. Well, loud enough to hear them as she passed by, unconcerned with their business.

Cheers.
                          LC
                          Hello Lynn,

We could argue that whsipering wouldn't have been useful when attempting to snare a victim: "what yer whispering for?"...."ahh, don't worry about that, you'll soon find out, here's a couple 'o bob".

In all probability, he wouldn't whisper, nor would he shout.

But, it does raise an interesting question surrounding the views of the denizens of Whitechapel and their picture of Jack. Seems they saw him as someone shouting in the streets for no good reason. Bit like that fella who zig-zagged across the road when he could have walked in a straight line no problem.

Comment

sotto voce

Hello Mac. Would it not be natural for a punter to speak in an undertone whilst conducting a "business deal"?

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

It's the way you tell'em

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                              Sometime in the late 1800s Queen Victoria made a visit to the East End and stepping out of her coach half way up Brick Lane she broke the heel off one of her shoes. Luckily this happened in front of the shop of a Jewish shoe mender. The owner quickly repaired the shoe and the Queen went on her way. He then wrote on his window 'Cobblers to the Queen' The next day he found someone had written underneath it 'Bollocks to the Chief Rabbi'.
                              They say the old ones are the best...oh dear!

Dave

Comment

Both Cadosch and Long showed up late in the very extensive inquest and Baxter thought such important witnesses should have been located and brought forth sooner. If my memory serves me right, I think the press found Cadosch before the police did. Its a little strange he didn't just go to the police... he certainly knew about the murder. Long took a while to appear too.
                                Both Cadosch and Long showed up late in the very extensive inquest
                                With respect, not so. Cadosch attended the inquest on three separate days, but was not called to give evidence until the third day.

If my memory serves me right, I think the press found Cadosch before the police did. Its a little strange he didn't just go to the police... he certainly knew about the murder
                                From Cadosch's testimony, as reported by The Times:

"He informed the police the same day of what he had heard" (my italics).

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Working...
                                X