Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's talking Cobblers ? John Richardson ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
    Hi Curious.

Even today there are people who witness horrific crimes that choose to lay low and "mind their own business" rather than speak up.

I have to wonder- in the fall of 1888, how much faith did poorer Londoners have that the police were truly capable of protecting them if they came forward and testified? What about protecting their families? It would be cold comfort to have the police show up when you're already lying dead and utterly desecrated, ripped open like a pig in a butcher's shop! After all, the Ripper had shown that he could kill multiple times in the most brazen fashion and get away with it.

As you say, there's very little chance we'll ever know if a witness saw, heard or knew more than they let on, but based upon the crowded conditions in Whitechapel and the rather 'public' nature of the crimes I can't help feeling that it's likely.

Even if it wasn't enough to actually identify the perpetrator, it might have helped to fill in some of the blanks that drive us all crazy.

Best regards,
    Archaic

Hi Archiac / Curious ,

Yes this is totally plausible .. Fear itself can hold a very tight grip on a community , The fear of becoming drawn in , the fear of becoming the new focal point . the Fear of being involved in something you have no desire to be involved in . Growing up in the East End i have witnessed this my self on many occasions , i have also heard first hand story's from my older relatives of the Kray's very own reign of terror , and how everyday people who actually saw stuff opted to keep schtum ( Mouth shut ) No one wants to be a Grass.

Having said that , i know and appreciate that a brutal murderer of women is a completely different story. But fear operates at many different levels , and i'm pretty sure that the fear and terror that was swirling around the East End during that Autumn of Terror , was enough to make anyone think twice .

Cheers

Moonbegger

Comment

• Grass?

Hi Moonbegger.

I'm not familiar with your term "Grass"; is it an East End slang term for ending up "six foot under," "pushing up daisies"?

Thanks,
      Archaic

Comment

• Grass

Grass - An informer...paid or otherwise

Supergrass - ditto but big time

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          Grass - An informer...paid or otherwise

Supergrass - ditto but big time

All the best

Dave
          Is 'grass' an old term? What country is it from?

Comment

• Hi Barbara

East end or cockney rhyming slang I think - grasshopper for copper...1930s I think in origin...though it may just be earlier.

Dave

Comment

• Thanks, Dave!

I thought it applied to an informer who ended up buried under the grass.

Best regards,
              Archaic

Comment

• Wot...like pushin' up the daisies? (the real ones as opposed to daisy roots = boots!)

Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave!

I thought it applied to an informer who ended up buried under the grass.

Best regards,
                  Archaic
                  Hi Archaic,

Just to add a bit of detail to Dave's earlier answer, a "supergrass" is someone who has been himself involved in criminal activity, but who "turns Queen's evidence" (i.e. agrees to give evidence for the prosecution) in the hope of a reduced sentence. I have seen it used by the UK press with reference to American mafiosi who testify against their former associates.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my own experience is that criminals use "grass" to describe an informer, whereas police officers refer to "snouts". Just to confuse matters somewhat, "snout" is prison slang for tobacco!

Regards, Bridewell.
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hi Barbara

East end or cockney rhyming slang I think - grasshopper for copper...1930s I think in origin...though it may just be earlier.

Dave
                    Not ever heard of that. This is all fascinating.

Comment

• Rhyming slang

Hi Barbara

There are a number of websites which may help but this is quite a good one:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/c...ing-slang.html

You do need to remember though that the slang is habitually shortened

viz look = butcher's 'ook = butchers....as in "take a butchers at that"

and also that the rhymes are sometimes a little convoluted by being put through the process more than once!

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Ripper-Related Vocabulary & Slang

Hi guys.

Last year we did a really entertaining thread called 'Ripper-Related Vocabulary', which ended up covering all kinds of unusual Victorian slang terms, including Cockney Rhyming Slang.

Ripper-Related Vocabulary Thread: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=5465

Feel free to post your contributions to it; a number of people have asked me to re-start the thread, and I've been meaning to... It was a lot of fun.

Thanks & best regards,
                        Archaic

Comment

Hi Moonbegger.

I'm not familiar with your term "Grass"; is it an East End slang term for ending up "six foot under," "pushing up daisies"?

Thanks,
                          Archaic

Hi Archaic ,

It is like other posters have explained Cockney rhyming slang .. and the thing is , it is always getting tweaked and modified , however there are some set in stone rhymes that are there for good .

Grass - Grassy ditch = Snitch
                          Boat - Boat race = face
                          Pins - Pins and pegs =Legs
                          Plates - Plates of meat = feet
                          Daisys -Daisy Roots = Boots
                          Mincers - Mince pies = Eyes
                          Barnet - Barnet Fair = Hair
                          Frog - Frog and Toad = Road
                          Whistle -Whistle and flute = suit
                          Apples -Apple and pears =Stairs
                          Taters - Taters mould = Cold ( Potato mould )
                          Tom - Tom foolery = Jewelry
                          Current - Current bun = sun
                          Ruby - Ruby murry = Curry ( a good ol East End dish )
                          Jeckel - Jeckel and Hyde = Snide ( fake , not real )

These are just a few of the older ones .. i'm sure you get the idea .. Mainly only the first word is used .
                          now i'm off for a cup of rosie Lee ( cup of tea ) and listen to a bit of Johnny Pie and Mash ( cash )

Hope that helped a few of you out .

Cheers

Moonbegger .
                          Last edited by moonbegger; 05-30-2012, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Hi Barbara

Dave
                            In checking out the Cockney Rhyming slang I can only say that even if I were born within the sound of Bow Bells I think I would fail this course. This is hard!

Mark me down as a West ender...

Comment

• Hi Barbara

The one that puzzled me a bit was a friend who kept on referring to Taxis as Andies or 'andies...Until I was pointed towards Andy McNabb = Cab...though I suspect in this case the origin may lie more in Mockney rather than Cockney!

Of course these last few posts really ought to be on the other thread!

All the best

Dave

Comment

• My old man speaks pretty fluent rhyming slang (at least up to the late '70s) but the rhyming slang is only a part of the patois--backslang is far more significant among the cockney and comes close to being a language all it's own. My grandmother was fluent in it, but when she spoke it, it was almost impossible to figure out what she was saying (which of course was the point).
                                “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Working...
                                X